Stranraer 2022-23

7 hours ago, Clayhole Blue said:

Well, we managed it last night!

Even and open first half at a rainy Cliftonhill, capped by Jonny getting his first goal for the club. Craig Ross’s utterly silly pair of yellow cards actually had us depressed, in spite of being ahead, at half time.

But a really disciplined second 45 saw us through - some great strong performances in that second half. Result on the night was that Charlie Reilly was anonymous, and I think you need to keep him quiet to beat the Rovers this season,

The way teams above you are cutting each others throats, a wee run of results could see you in with a shout for the play offs. That result was a good start on that.

16 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

The way teams above you are cutting each others throats, a wee run of results could see you in with a shout for the play offs. That result was a good start on that.

Form guide - points from last six games:

East Fife 13
Stirling Albion 12
Stenhousemuir 10
Stranraer 10
Dumbarton 9
Annan Athletic 7
Albion Rovers 6
Forfar Athletic 6
Bonnyrigg Rose 5
Elgin City 4

2 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Form guide - points from last six games:

East Fife 13
Stirling Albion 12
Stenhousemuir 10
Stranraer 10
Dumbarton 9
Annan Athletic 7
Albion Rovers 6
Forfar Athletic 6
Bonnyrigg Rose 5
Elgin City 4

Go for it. it's on.

• 3 weeks later...

Sheesh. Didn't expect that result yesterday. Only 4 on the bench and no sub keeper as well. Still looking over our shoulders.

When was the last time we had such a heavy defeat? I remember 8-0 against Rangers late 80's, and some heavy ones in the old first div mid-90's, but not this bad.

1 hour ago, MrFizz said:

Sheesh. Didn't expect that result yesterday. Only 4 on the bench and no sub keeper as well. Still looking over our shoulders.

When was the last time we had such a heavy defeat? I remember 8-0 against Rangers late 80's, and some heavy ones in the old first div mid-90's, but not this bad.

The last one that I recall was against Stirling Albion, 10+ years ago.

8 goals conceded, and immediately after the game the manager, Derek Ferguson, walked.

Edited by beefybake

Never nice to see anyone go but, for me this was the correct decision.

The club should be credited for sticking by a young, inexperienced management team for as long as they did, especially in the peccaries position we are in.

Positives are the signings of Ross, Forrest, Girvan and Grant plus a hand full of good results. 
Unfortunately I can think of far more negatives, the struggle to sign players, the reluctance to start with a forward, the ill discipline, two poor cup exits, the ignorance towards the reserve squad. 

Hopefully the club have a team in mind who can come in and asses what they’re working with over the next few weeks before offering contracts. 

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I know he's being groomed to be the new Clyde manager, but Stephen Swift must be a shout given his connections with the club?

Loved Swift as a player but, don’t think it’s the job for him. 
He didn’t do great at Stenny with quite a bit of backing, we don’t any resource like that so would be an even harder ask. 

Reading between the lines on the club statement there’s a replacement lined up.

Hamill was out of contract at the end up the season so hopefully there was someone already lined up. 

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Jamie Hamill confirmed sacked 

Can't say I'm surprised. When we beat Stenny 7-0, Campbell Money was gone soon after. Don't like to see anyone lose their job, everything that could've gone wrong for Stranraer yesterday did. Hope you can pick yourselves up from this.

2 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Loved Swift as a player but, don’t think it’s the job for him. 
He didn’t do great at Stenny with quite a bit of backing, we don’t any resource like that so would be an even harder ask. 

Reading between the lines on the club statement there’s a replacement lined up.

Hamill was out of contract at the end up the season so hopefully there was someone already lined up. 

Brian Reid is the first that springs to mind,