The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Jack Thomson linked with Carlisle (the Record) - out of contract in the summer...

He isn’t out of contract in the summer though. 

18 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Jack Thomson linked with Carlisle (the Record) - out of contract in the summer...

I’m convinced he’s out of contract the following summer. Signed an original deal until summer 2023 and then signed signed a 2 year extension on top of that in summer 2022. Would be just as bad to lose him as it is to lose Thomas. Thomson could comfortably play at a higher level, got all the attributes. If anything, I think he could do better than Carlisle 

Edited by qpfc

Some Saints fans are way too harsh on Davidson IMO. He gave us an incredible season, then a dreadful one, then a mediocre one where some signs of improvement started to fade in the second half. He was rightly sacked at this stage when it looked like the dressing room was gone and results/performances went off a cliff. But people forget it was his first full managerial job and I think it’s also harsh to blame the bin-fire behind the scenes on him too.

I can see why he’s judged harshly considering we got used to having excellent managers who all left on a high - Coyle, McInnes, Lomas and then Tommy Wright who is the best manager in our history. But even though Davidson wasn’t a complete unqualified success like those four he still delivered two cups and left without relegating us. I think at other clubs more used to hosting poor managers that would be enough for him to be more fondly remembered. He clearly shown he’s a good coach and has particular aptitude for setting up a side to get a result against better/ more expensively-assembled teams in big games - two wins and a draw against Rangers in 2.5 seasons, owning Hibs at Hampden, draw in Istanbul. 

But on the other side, he assembled really poor squads despite having lots of money to spend, he talked us down constantly, he played low scoring football from the start and pretty awful football in 2 seasons out of 3, and struggled to be flexible when teams worked out his first plan and system. I think his biggest issue was judging player quality as he signed rafts of complete shite who are still stinking the place out to this day — and any fan could have told him lots of those signings would have worked out like that. He also didn’t seem to learn from his mistakes, you’ll have to hope he’s changed in that way during his time out of the game.

Regardless if Thomson is out of contract or not, had a wee search and it seems like Carlisle are fairly loaded now due to their new owners. If there’s any substance to the rumours, it seems like they’d have no issue bidding for him 

11 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Regardless if Thomson is out of contract or not, had a wee search and it seems like Carlisle are fairly loaded now due to their new owners. If there’s any substance to the rumours, it seems like they’d have no issue bidding for him 

New money c***s - trying to buy success. Haven’t they heard of Gretna. 

I think given time and a tightly controlled budget, Callum Davidson is just what we need at this moment in time.

If he keeps us in the Championship that'll be more than good enough for me, given our trajectory under Veldman these last few months.

I think the comments from Saints fans has been given genuinely, in that we shouldn't expect too much instant success from CD.

Compare those comments with the praise heaped on Dempster from HIbs and M'well fans when she arrived with us. 

Talking of squandering money, Dempster inherited a healthy bank balance when she arrived.

Most of which has been spent on a glorified "Punch and Judy Booth" for our esteemed blazers. NO mention of that from her in her leaving statement concerning her list of achievements.

42 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

trying to buy success. Haven’t they heard of Gretna. 

Carlisle, believe it or not, lost supporters to Gretna because they were hyper-rubbish when Gretna were ascending. So, yes, I think they've heard of Gretna.

17 minutes ago, QP's in my DNA said:

I think given time and a tightly controlled budget, Callum Davidson is just what we need at this moment in time.

If he keeps us in the Championship that'll be more than good enough for me, given our trajectory under Veldman these last few months.

I think the comments from Saints fans has been given genuinely, in that we shouldn't expect too much instant success from CD.

Compare those comments with the praise heaped on Dempster from HIbs and M'well fans when she arrived with us. 

Talking of squandering money, Dempster inherited a healthy bank balance when she arrived.

Most of which has been spent on a glorified "Punch and Judy Booth" for our esteemed blazers. NO mention of that from her in her leaving statement concerning her list of achievements.

Do you think Dempster got a golden handshake when she stepped down or was she pretty much out of contract in a footballing term and entitled to nothing?

35 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Do you think Dempster got a golden handshake when she stepped down or was she pretty much out of contract in a footballing term and entitled to nothing?

You said it........... "entitled to nothing".......but who knows, maybe Haughey paid her to go.

1 hour ago, QP's in my DNA said:

You said it........... "entitled to nothing".......but who knows, maybe Haughey paid her to go.

I can’t see Haughey paying her to go. I think in his eyes, she probably did a good job. 

Unless she does rock up quickly at another post, I tend to believe she stepped down to ill health and didn't want to make a big song and dance about it.

Disappointed by the McKenna news. There isn't a single Scottish player not named Billy Gilmour I can think of who left Scotland at a young age and had a good career. 

There's nothing that we can do though as, to a 17 year old the money offered by Man U will be life changing.

28 minutes ago, velo army said:

Disappointed by the McKenna news. There isn't a single Scottish player not named Billy Gilmour I can think of who left Scotland at a young age and had a good career. 

There's nothing that we can do though as, to a 17 year old the money offered by Man U will be life changing.

Billy Gilmour had his struggles in England before finally breaking through at Brighton. There's a well publicised trio of young Scots (one now back in England) who went to Italy and did so well Serie A teams now actively scout Scottish football. And, while I don't wish to get into any kind of Scotland squad debates, Ryan Gauld has had an objectively good career playing around the world and earning megabucks in the MLS. All about the player, and there is nothing to suggest McKenna wouldn't work hard and take the opportunity he is being presented with.

This exact scenario is what we were told to turn professional for. We can't then bring through a player attracting immense interest from one of the biggest clubs on the planet and go "nah, stay here to train at Lochinch and sit on the bench in Kirkcaldy and Ayr".

Edited by Dave

27 minutes ago, velo army said:

There isn't a single Scottish player not named Billy Gilmour I can think of who left Scotland at a young age and had a good career. 

Denis Law won the Balloon d'Or and is still Scotland's joint top scorer 🙂

I meant headed to England. Serie A is clearly a better route than the EPL and pissing about in youth teams. 

Obviously Hickey has done well, but he and Gilmour are the only ones. Even Hickey had played a season and a bit for Hearts and was a bit older.

At Thistle we had Fitzpatrick who left at 17 and 5 or so years later is exactly where he started. 

I'm sure if McKenna had stayed he would have gotten games under his belt and would have eventually played at a decent level, earning the money he's getting now. History suggests that he'll head down for a few years and end up at a lower half championship team when he returns.

I do hope I'm wrong, but it's just so frustrating to see it continually happening.

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Billy Gilmour had his struggles in England before finally breaking through at Brighton. There's a well publicised trio of young Scots (one now back in England) who went to Italy and did so well Serie A teams now actively scout Scottish football. And, while I don't wish to get into any kind of Scotland squad debates, Ryan Gauld has had an objectively good career playing around the world and earning megabucks in the MLS. All about the player, and there is nothing to suggest McKenna wouldn't work hard and take the opportunity he is being presented with.

This exact scenario is what we were told to turn professional for. We can't then bring through a player attracting immense interest from one of the biggest clubs on the planet and go "nah, stay here to train at Lochinch and sit on the bench in Kirkcaldy and Ayr".

It's obviously a no-brainer for McKenna to go to Man U, both from his perspective and from the club's. And it'd be sensational if he were to go on to make it down there. But the success Doig, Ferguson, Hickey and Gauld have had isn't relevant here. Ferguson had played 130+ games in the top flight for Aberdeen, Doig had played 60+ for Hibs, Gauld had played 40 odd for United and even Hickey had had a season at Hearts.

The three who went to Italy were all also signed to play for the first teams at the clubs they went to, if not straight away then within the space of a season or so. McKenna, meanwhile, has played a handful of games in the second tier and is being signed to go into the Man U youth set-up, from where there's only a tiny chance that he'll make it through to the first team.

Edited by Skeletar Spider

I really hope McKenna signs for Man Utd not just because of the potential money involved but also because of the message it sends to other young talents out there: Come and join Queen's Park. We'll offer you a chance to play & gain experience in a very hard, competition, develop your talents, and in two year's time, you'll be signed by an English Premier League team.