The McTominay Conundrum

ArabFC

On 21/06/2023 at 02:16, Thumper said:

Ah, 02:15 BST. What a surprise that professed teetotaller TONTROOPER has randomly started picking fights with his abominable patter again!

Ton's Sooper

Edited by RawB93

• 5 weeks later...
On 05/08/2023 at 15:01, Savage Henry said:

According to reports, he’s agreed to sign for West Ham, which should be a good move for him.  On the other hand, Harry Maguire is also making the same move. 

I haven't seen anything about McTominay agreeing to sign for West Ham. I have seen it reported that West Ham have had one bid rejected because it didn't meet the valuation of Man Utd and the suggestion that Roma are also interested.

Not sure who I'd rather see him go to: Roma would be somewhat interesting, but West Ham maybe a better career move. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I haven't seen anything about McTominay agreeing to sign for West Ham. I have seen it reported that West Ham have had one bid rejected because it didn't meet the valuation of Man Utd and the suggestion that Roma are also interested.

Not sure who I'd rather see him go to: Roma would be somewhat interesting, but West Ham maybe a better career move. 

I'd like to see him at Roma. The Italian game would help him improve technically aswell as his defensive positioning. More Scots going abroad can only be a good thing.

It's not the 1990s any more. I'm not sure Serie A is actually better technically than England nor does it have the same defensive mindset it used to have. The benefit for McTominay would be the fact it is much cooler and that he gets to play under Mourinho again, but playing for West Ham would have him playing against stronger opposition on the whole.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's not the 1990s any more. I'm not sure Serie A is actually better technically than England nor does it have the same defensive mindset it used to have. The benefit for McTominay would be the fact it is much cooler and that he gets to play under Mourinho again, but playing for West Ham would have him playing against stronger opposition on the whole.

Hard agree. While it’s been nice to see a few of our players end up in the Italian/Belgian/German leagues as an alternative playing in the English championship or for one of the old firm, I think a big reason behind our fortuitous results in recent years is that the bulk of our squad are regularly starting games in the English Premier League which is the best league in the world by quite a distance in terms of strength in depth (your Real Madrids and Bayern Munichs are Barcelonas can compete with Man City, but Getafe, Lecce and Augsburg would get smashed by Crystal Palace) 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fratelli said:

Didn't see that coming.

I’d be a bit worried for Bayern if that is indeed how they see him playing, because if we’ve learned anything from his Scotland career (and I’m fairly sure we haven’t) it’s that he is better further forward (as an 8 rather than a 6).

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’d be a bit worried for Bayern if that is indeed how they see him playing, because if we’ve learned anything from his Scotland career (and I’m fairly sure we haven’t) it’s that he is better further forward (as an 8 rather than a 6).

Yeh exactly

Most likely nonsense for that reason

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

They'll play him as a right centre back 

Looks like Scotty boy has got himself into a bit of a shite situation 

Frozen out by Ten Haag today, can’t move anywhere till January now.

Dont blame him apparently turning down Fulham, he’s better than that, but if he doesn’t get game time the next few months it’s not to our benefit 

11 hours ago, MarkoP said:

Looks like Scotty boy has got himself into a bit of a shite situation 

Frozen out by Ten Haag today, can’t move anywhere till January now.

Dont blame him apparently turning down Fulham, he’s better than that, but if he doesn’t get game time the next few months it’s not to our benefit 

Ten Haag said in his interview that McTominay was ill which is why he wasn’t on the bench 

I think there are obvious parallels between Tierney and McTominay which is why I've placed this in the McTominay thread. To show faith in someone when they are going through a bad time is more important than when things are going well. People remember that kind of thing.

He showed faith in me all through the season and he played me every single game. I wasn’t playing for Arsenal and there might have been some people questioning why I would play for Scotland, but Steve was brilliant.

That’s why I texted him straightaway. Some people here did mention the Spain game to me, maybe that played a part in Real Sociedad wanting me, I don’t know. I got an awful lot of confidence from playing for Scotland. Last season was difficult, but in the first half of it I was still playing in the cups and the Europa League. It was only later, with the games week by week, that I started to lose some match fitness. I’d then report for Scotland duty and was playing a bit of catch up, but Steve and the Scotland staff were just amazing for me. Scotland definitely helped me and that’s why I felt it important to thank Steve for his faith. Steve said it was a great move, great for me and great for Scotland if I got more minutes. He was delighted for me.

Kieran Tierney

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/11188951/kieran-tierney-real-sociedad-steve-clarke-celtic/

I think absolute disaster is perhaps going a bit too far.

He had the option of Fulham in the Premier League but thought he can do better, he backs himself.

Man Utd look a big mess on and off the pitch, I think he has a chance of forcing himself back into the first team.

Like Tierney, I expect he will continue playing regularly for Scotland regardless.

Edited by SH Panda