Broxburn Athletic

Well... what a game today was. I was gonna have a moan about the tenner entry fee... must be the most expensive door tax in the league... but I definitely easily got a tenners worth of entertainment out of that. For every reason!

Hope big Dan Nimmo is ok and his injury isn't too bad.

I thought we started quite well, were unlucky not to take the lead... got away with one when they missed their penalty and then were unlucky to fall behind when a shot looked to take a deflection and go in. 

For some reason we kept playing in a lot of high balls against what must be the tallest side in the league if not the country! The two Sauchie centre halfs are proper units and were mostly dominant in the air. When we changed it and got some wingers on so that high balls were coming from behind them, that made a big difference and that's how we equalised at the end!

Before the equaliser, we really rode our luck a bit, Sauchie created a number of excellent openings, but a few great saves from Bob Watt kept it at 1-0.

A brilliant effort by the team to keep going when so much seemed to be going against us... but we ended on the front foot and it was just about a desrved equaliser when Gary Brass headed in.

Then immediately after, a long Sauchie ball was dropped by Bob Watt right at the feet of a striker and somehow we got enough bodies in the way to block shots and clear the danger to go right up the pitch and get our own penalty deep into injury time... it had been a hard physical match, so maybe a case for one of the fresher players to take the kick, but Gary Brass stepped up... it wasn't a great hit, but he'll strike worse penalties and score... but the keeper still saved it well.

Quite a game. Despite losing the 100% record, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The wife has barely stopped going on about it.

And I've not even mentioned the referee......

47 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Well... what a game today was. I was gonna have a moan about the tenner entry fee... must be the most expensive door tax in the league... but I definitely easily got a tenners worth of entertainment out of that. For every reason!

I thought we started quite well, were unlucky not to take the lead... got away with one when they missed their penalty and then were unlucky to fall behind when a shot looked to take a deflection and go in. 

For some reason we kept playing in a lot of high balls against what must be the tallest side in the league if not the country! The two Sauchie centre halfs are proper units and were mostly dominant in the air. When we changed it and got some wingers on so that high balls were coming from behind them, that made a big difference and that's how we equalised at the end!

Before the equaliser, we really rode our luck a bit, Sauchie created a number of excellent openings, but a few great saves from Bob Watt kept it at 1-0.

A brilliant effort by the team to keep going when so much seemed to be going against us... but we ended on the front foot and it was just about a desrved equaliser when Gary Brass headed in.

Then immediately after, a long Sauchie ball was dropped by Bob Watt right at the feet of a striker and somehow we got enough bodies in the way to block shots and clear the danger to go right up the pitch and get our own penalty deep into injury time... it had been a hard physical match, so maybe a case for one of the fresher players to take the kick, but Gary Brass stepped up... it wasn't a great hit, but he'll strike worse penalties and score... but the keeper still saved it well.

Quite a game. Despite losing the 100% record, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The wife has barely stopped going on about it.

A tenner admission fee to watch the Scottish Premier league is too much in my view never mind Sauchie. Thank crunchie I don't go anymore. 

54 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

When most EoS Premier League sides charging £8 (a few charging £7), the 25% uplift to £10 IS excessive for this league. Maybe that’s why Sauchie, as a team, have started the season poorer than most fans thought they would do🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Jordi1977 said:

Fair assessment, thought there was going to be some CPR needed in the stands with few older boys from both sets of fans getting a bit rowdy and over excited.

End to end game, with chances for both sides, both sides missing a penalty and a few strange referee decisions.

Certainly a lot of entertainment in every aspect of the game.

I'm still not convinced we'll top our league, not without a goalscoring striker. Errol hit form and it looked promising but we've struggled since he's been injured. I'm still happy with us getting a great start though. I'm waiting for the Jeanfield game before I start believing.

Good effort from the players today,  I don't think any team can win games with refereeing like that going against you. We only  got decisions going our way the last 10 minutes. I'm sure it evens out over the season. 

10 hours ago, guinness said:

A tenner admission fee to watch the Scottish Premier league is too much in my view never mind Sauchie. Thank crunchie I don't go anymore. 

100% on that... I really can't picture myself going back to a Premier game these days.

9 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

Fair assessment, thought there was going to be some CPR needed in the stands with few older boys from both sets of fans getting a bit rowdy and over excited.

Haha... it was lively in there! In fairness, at the full time whistle I think everyone stood up and commented on it being a good game. That was all the comments I could here from everyone as we got out the stand.

8 hours ago, albynpark said:

I'm still not convinced we'll top our league, not without a goalscoring striker. Errol hit form and it looked promising but we've struggled since he's been injured. I'm still happy with us getting a great start though. I'm waiting for the Jeanfield game before I start believing.

Good effort from the players today,  I don't think any team can win games with refereeing like that going against you. We only  got decisions going our way the last 10 minutes. I'm sure it evens out over the season. 

I can't see us topping it either... but to see us being competitive and with a decent amount of team spirit/togetherness going to the end is a massive improvement from last season. 

I hope big Errol is back for the next two games... he was running during the pre-match warm up yesterday and looked pretty good, so hopefully yesterday was just a bit too early for him.

With the form of both of our teams (barring yesterday for you guys, but still!), next week promises to be a good one. We're flying high in our league but are very much aware of the challenge next week as the EoSFL Premier is clearly a stronger league. It has all ingredients for a potentially great contest. For both (at least for us, but I assume for you too) the league will be the number 1 priority this season, but I'm sure both sides quite fancy a decent cup run.

I'm looking forward to it, we'll bring down a decent following, I'll be on the supporters coach (which is full). :) 

3 hours ago, Marten said:

With the form of both of our teams (barring yesterday for you guys, but still!), next week promises to be a good one. We're flying high in our league but are very much aware of the challenge next week as the EoSFL Premier is clearly a stronger league. It has all ingredients for a potentially great contest. For both (at least for us, but I assume for you too) the league will be the number 1 priority this season, but I'm sure both sides quite fancy a decent cup run.

I'm looking forward to it, we'll bring down a decent following, I'll be on the supporters coach (which is full). :) 

Nice to see a healthy support at these games. I can remember when Broxburn had a supporters' tandem which they couldn't fill ...

@Jordi1977 get yersel a grey wig next time and go in as a pensioner. You can adopt some of the Dunbar Terrible Twins phrases to help yourself pass as one.

5 hours ago, Marten said:

Good to hear there are a load coming down for the game. Hope you guys enjoy your day out when you come down... but naturally hoping it ends badly 😉

Slightly apprehensive about how many goals you guys are consistently scoring... and have a bit of solid experience with quality in that area... No doubt there are a few weaker teams in the league up there, just in the way it's been made up, but the regular target practice they give you may come in useful... and I've no doubt the top 4 or 5 sides at least are on at least par with the EoSFL Premier.

A cup run would be awesome... always nice to think you can get a shot at one of the "traditional" cup sides. The league for us this season is about improvement from last season and getting more consistency in our performances and our results. Whereas, I think you guys are definitely looking at this as a season to really go for the title and begin moving up the pyramid. 

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Nice to see a healthy support at these games. I can remember when Broxburn had a supporters' tandem which they couldn't fill ...

@Jordi1977 get yersel a grey wig next time and go in as a pensioner. You can adopt some of the Dunbar Terrible Twins phrases to help yourself pass as one.

Best supported team in West Lothianon the East side of the A899!! 😉 It sounds like there is a fair bit of interest in this one... you tempted?

My youthful dark locks cannae hang around forever, it'll no be long before I am getting a discount! Is the phrasebook not mostly around referees being disgraceful??

15 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Good to hear there are a load coming down for the game. Hope you guys enjoy your day out when you come down... but naturally hoping it ends badly 😉

Slightly apprehensive about how many goals you guys are consistently scoring... and have a bit of solid experience with quality in that area... No doubt there are a few weaker teams in the league up there, just in the way it's been made up, but the regular target practice they give you may come in useful... and I've no doubt the top 4 or 5 sides at least are on at least par with the EoSFL Premier.

A cup run would be awesome... always nice to think you can get a shot at one of the "traditional" cup sides. The league for us this season is about improvement from last season and getting more consistency in our performances and our results. Whereas, I think you guys are definitely looking at this as a season to really go for the title and begin moving up the pyramid. 

Yeah, it will be a good test for us. It's a shame the differences in our league are so big. Hopefully we can go up as the Highland League obviously would provide more of a challenge. But there are still a few good sides in our league so it won't be a walk in the park by any means. Because our league is so local I also look forward more to any cup games outside our area as it's a nice change from the usual.

Sunshine, a decent crowd and a sensational 2nd half performance  to book a place in the next round. A perfect Scottish Cup day. Dreams of Hampden can begin!!

First half was a pretty solid competitive match without either side really creating any chances.

Second, Broxburn came out like a steam train, tried to get the ball forward quicker and completely caught Lochee cold and scored twice in the opening 5 minutes of the half. Lochee never really got back into the game from there and Broxburn added a 3rd with about half hour to go. From there, we just saw out the game fairly comfortably.

Towards the end of the game, a few of the Lochee players were struggling to keep going and looked very tired... too many early season midweek games? Or just not used to being tested to that extent?

Delighted with our 2nd half display and looking forward to tomorrow's draw. 

4 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Sunshine, a decent crowd and a sensational 2nd half performance  to book a place in the next round. A perfect Scottish Cup day. Dreams of Hampden can begin!!

First half was a pretty solid competitive match without either side really creating any chances.

Second, Broxburn came out like a steam train, tried to get the ball forward quicker and completely caught Lochee cold and scored twice in the opening 5 minutes of the half. Lochee never really got back into the game from there and Broxburn added a 3rd with about half hour to go. From there, we just saw out the game fairly comfortably.

Towards the end of the game, a few of the Lochee players were struggling to keep going and looked very tired... too many early season midweek games? Or just not used to being tested to that extent?

Delighted with our 2nd half display and looking forward to tomorrow's draw. 

Was more comfortable than I thought it would be.

was a bit disappointed with Lochee but a very Good display from Broxburn playing with two wingers for a change. Tbf management not done too much wrong this season. Onto the next round hopefully a kind draw.

16 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

I think it's a combination of the 2, I spoke to some of the players before departure and they are glad the period of 2 games a week is over now as they have been really feeling it. Unfortunately, our poorest game so far. There are always "what ifs" like what if we got a penalty just before you scored the 3-0, but these things happen in football. But it's too easy to just blame it on that moment as we didn't create enough. In fairness, credit is due to Broxburn as you've easily been the strongest team we've played this season. We'd have to be at our best to have a chance to beat you and we simply weren't, so the better team on the day won and we can't have complaints about that. It's a shame from our point of view but as much as I'd have loved a cup run, promotion is something we all really want so if we have an off-day I'd rather have it in the cup than in an important league game.

We just learn from this and move on. Good luck to you for the next round and the rest of the season. Also thanks to Buchan Bowling Club who were great hosts to us before the game and the Broxburn committee who made us feel welcome. I had some good chats with very friendly people. As often with away days, a great day out despite the result!