The Queen of the South thread

Whats the obstacles, do you know? 
No idea. I assume finances which would contradict what I've just said but providing it was good enough for him and his family to live on then I'd hope we could offer a decent deal.

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

No idea. I assume finances which would contradict what I've just said but providing it was good enough for him and his family to live on then I'd hope we could offer a decent deal.

Fair enough. I would like to see him back at the club but i feel your earlier post was more accurate where its not just about money that could be the obstacle to a deal being made. It could be any number of unknown issues that stopping a deal being done. Although money is an issue, its not the sole decider in a deal being made. Northfield was a little too black and white on the subject hence my jumping on it. 

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Kind of O/T but I can remember McIntyre going nuts (celebrating) when we scored at Falkirk in the 2nd leg of the play-offs. I'll always like him for that alone! I can't remember the last manager who showed that kind of passion with a goal, though Naysmith did when Dobbie scored/didn't score against Morton at the end of the season.

Jimmy Mac hates Falkirk.

Are there really no decent players anymore in the lower divisions? Surely there is better than Mercer plying their trade and staring for their team every other week and just not getting the opportunity to play at a higher level.

19 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

Are there really no decent players anymore in the lower divisions? Surely there is better than Mercer plying their trade and staring for their team every other week and just not getting the opportunity to play at a higher level.

You've pretty much just described Scott Mercer

Regards Durnan it's clear to see that he would be interested in coming back but it's not what we are looking for,and him saying "Great club but no contact" confirms this. Fordyce can play Full back if needed but he's best at CB IMO.

Holt on the otherhand is exactly what we need. Dont think it'll happen but if it does it'll be some coup

46 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

The problem I think is,  and you saw it with Mercer, as an example,   that players who look half decent in lower divisions struggle to make the step up right away.  Unfortunately Mercer had a few iffy performances which affected his confidence and kept him out of the side for long spells.  He did look like he was coming onto some form towards the end of the season which he can hopefully carry into the next season.  No doubt some players may be able to make the step-up  without a problem but until you see them actually involved it's a bit of a blind guess.

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
51 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:
Jason Talbot l/b freed by dunfermline worth considering? 

At least it would reduce the risk of an injury to our players if he was one of our own.

Is he gonna train on his own?

16 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Utter shite. Stephen dobbie is not with us for money, he is with us for the love of the club. Im sure there are other examples.

Can't all be for the love of the club surely? Is he not paid 2k a week with you boys?

Would he be there if he was getting paid £500 a week like the rest of the squad? Doubt it!

6 minutes ago, madton said:

Can't all be for the love of the club surely? Is he not paid 2k a week with you boys?

Would he be there if he was getting paid £500 a week like the rest of the squad? Doubt it!

Indeed, let’s not try and kid ourselves here.  He may have got slightly more elsewhere and he obviously has a soft spot for the club but he certainly wouldn’t be here on the normal wages dished out.

Indeed, let’s not try and kid ourselves here.  He may have got slightly more elsewhere and he obviously has a soft spot for the club but he certainly wouldn’t be here on the normal wages dished out.

I imagine the amount he is on is what he requires eg. To cover travel costs and to ensure he still has a decent amount to live on.

The point Northfield made is that every footballer will go to whoever is paying the most money. Do you think what we're paying him is the most he could have got? Highly doubtful. He could have easily been playing at a League 1 side (or even a Scottish prem. side) and making far more money. He's clearly needing enough money to make it worth his while but I doubt he's extorting the club with his wages.

Guest Flash
17 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Absolutely. Players sign for clubs purely based on how much money they'll get. Things like:-

- how they'll be utilised

- the style the manager wants the team playing

- whether they get on with the gaffer

- if previous team-mates are currently at the club

- if the move makes sense for their family

mean absolutely nothing as long as the money on offer is better than everyone else.

Possibly true, but Livi appear to be signing players when they have no manager in place (as we apparently did a couple of summers ago) so maybe the first three points aren’t always that important.  I think if the money isn’t right to start with, and the difference is substantial, players won’t even consider any other matters. Obviously, when the gap is narrowed, they then have to weigh everything up. But there will be a good few clubs in this division that we can’t compete with, however much players would enjoy playing in Naysmith’s preferred style, etc.

Eta I think Dobbie is also an exceptional case. We couldn’t, for example, attract any other players of his ability if they had no previous connection with the club. And there will be players of far less ability than him that are way out of our price range.

Edited by Flash

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I imagine the amount he is on is what he requires eg. To cover travel costs and to ensure he still has a decent amount to live on.

The point Northfield made is that every footballer will go to whoever is paying the most money. Do you think what we're paying him is the most he could have got? Highly doubtful. He could have easily been playing at a League 1 side (or even a Scottish prem. side) and making far more money. He's clearly needing enough money to make it worth his while but I doubt he's extorting the club with his wages.

You're right, but Dobbie is in a very different position to someone like Holt or Durnan. Hes had a fairly succesful career down south and will have significantly more money in the bank than either of those two

26 minutes ago, madton said:

Possibly not however it was well said on here about how he had offers at bigger clubs than ourselves. He said he would return one day and he did despite better offers apparently being offered.

There are of course examples of players chasing money but northfield said that money is the most important thing to a footballer. I disagree to a degree. 

You're right, but Dobbie is in a very different position to someone like Holt or Durnan. Hes had a fairly succesful career down south and will have significantly more money in the bank than either of those two
Absolutely. But I still find the view 'players will always go to who pays them the most money' to be nonsense.