The Queen of the South thread

20 hours ago, JK_Queens said:

Friendlies start as early as 24th June with an away game against a decent East Kilbride side. 2pm kick off at K-Park.

No idea if it is closed door or not. 

Seems crazy we're almost back. I know the League Cup games are seen as glorified friendlies by a lot of folk (myself included given how soon they come around) but we really want to do well in it to give us the chance of that financial boost so I'm hoping we have a few more bodies in the door by then. I keep thinking we're going to have a day like a few seasons back where we announced around 5 players on the same day. 

We at least have a starting 11 just now. 

Johnson

Church

McKay

Brydon

Houston 

McKechnie

Cochrane

Wilson

Gibson

Reilly 

Irving

A bit injury prone in the midfield, short at the and completely toothless up front. MB has his work cut out :lol:

I read Marvin's comments as he's intending Docherty to be the link player between midfield and attack. A bit of a Dykes rather than a Dobbie. But, yes, we've all been burnt before signing players who've only played at a lower level b/c the manager at the time thinks there's a player there, and it doesn't work out, so hard to feel optimistic. Not necessarily a reflection on the player himself though.

45 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Todd re-signs. Bit underwhelming but he can be a decent player on his day but please Marv, take that captain band off him. 

New signing at 12

You'll know better than me but I've always rated him.

11 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

IMG_2015.thumb.jpeg.b24cb5e7643fef7d984fc84eaba996d3.jpeg

2 year deal. Not scored many goals in his career so far, so it’s a bit disappointing. 

Comments from Clyde fans are encouraging on Twitter 😂

Marv obviously sees something in him 

12 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I've heard there's interest there from us, that's all.

For the way you guys play he’d be a good signing alongside Fordyce who could be the more aggressive centre half

33 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

IMG_2015.thumb.jpeg.b24cb5e7643fef7d984fc84eaba996d3.jpeg

2 year deal. Not scored many goals in his career so far, so it’s a bit disappointing. 

He was one I’d have wanted when he was doing well at Albion rovers, hopefully a chance at full time can get him going but a bit meh like most signings at moment. 

Positives; he works really hard (probably too hard) and he should be a good footballer. He is a decent size, not slow and runs the channels well. It wouldn't surprise me if he knits everything together at some point.

Negatives; held the ball up well for a touch, then took five more and lost the ball. Ended up a net zero in goalscoring (one goal against Clyde, one goal for Clyde). I'm not even sure he had many more efforts on target.

Overall, I'm amazed he's going back to L1 but even more amazed there's a fee involved.

I've followed Queens for a number of years now and throughout that time I've seen players arrive who were thought to be brilliant signings only to flop miserably and others that sounded poor signings become well liked so I for one am not going to judge any player util I've seen them play a few games for us. 

I don't know what some here expect, we are team who for the past few seasons have been going nowhere and geographically not best situated to induce signings. Perhaps MB has tried for better players but been priced out of the market.

As always looking forward to the start of the new season and hoping the manager has found some gems that gel together as a team. If after few games and results are poor I will happily join the half glass empty brigade. 

I can't say that I've heard of Doherty, and a career total of 14 goals in 93 appearances in the lower leagues from a guy who seems to wear the number 9 shirt isn't exactly inspiring, but he looks quite... erm... chunky... so maybe he has been signed to give a physical presence in a kind of Derek Holmes or (shudder) Innes Cameron role.

Paying a fee and giving him a 2 year deal is certainly eye-brow raiser though, but "In Marv We Trust" and all that.

Edited by Slipmat
stats fail

Hopefully Todd can be more of a squad player this year rather than starting every game. Also feel slightly underwhelmed going off Clyde fans reactions to the signing of Doherty. Going by one of the tweets look as though there could be another in the door today hopefully.