The Queen of the South thread

19 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Shite.

Nae pace, poor movement, doesn’t run into channels, doesn’t hold the ball up, doesnt win headers, can’t take a man on, rarely scores and doesn’t looked arsed to top all those attributes off.

46 minutes ago, David W said:

Positives; he works really hard (probably too hard) and he should be a good footballer. He is a decent size, not slow and runs the channels well. It wouldn't surprise me if he knits everything together at some point.

Can't say I'm overwhelmed with us signing an ex Clyde player tbh but trying to take some positives is that clearly some folk see him differently as the two posts above highlight. I think Paton would have struggled to bag many goals in that Clyde side last season tbh so I'll give him time before I dismiss him. At 21 there's still plenty of time for him to improve. He does look a wee bit heavy the now so FT training may improve that and I expect he'll need to shed some weight if he wants regular game time under MB. 

Really pleased Todd has re-signed. Think he has another year left in him. I would like at least one more striker that's proven he can score at this level though. 

11 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

To say the Clyde fans feedback on Doherty is underwhelming is an understatement! 🫣

Yep, it's not inspiring reading over on the Clyde thread.  I've no knowledge of Docherty myself but raiding a team that was relegated and couldn't score goals for a striker isn't on the face of it exactly encouraging - never mind a two year deal and a fee.  Just gotta hope that Marvin has seen something there (he obviously thinks he has).  You never know though ... maybe the next signing will be Victor Osimhen ...

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

He does look a wee bit heavy the now so FT training may improve that and I expect he'll need to shed some weight if he wants regular game time under MB. 

This.  I don't think he'll be one of the players who'll be given this week off from training.

Edited by Slipmat

I dont think Doherty is quite as bad as some of our support make out but he's an awkward player to know what to do with and certainly an odd signing, even if the transfer fee would have been minimal.

He does run the channels well and enjoyed a physical battle but he's certainly not a winger. Neither does he look like he will ever be a natural goalscorer and there were plenty of times when he was playing as our only striker but, if we had the ball outwide, he'd want to linger around the edge of the box leaving the penalty area completely empty.

I don't think he's as unfit as he looks but because he's a big guy he often struggled to win free kicks even when he was clearly being fouled. And he tends to pick up cheap bookings and can be a bit petulant.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Shame we couldn't chuck in Martin Rennie too for a BOGOF deal, but such is life. There's a player in there with Doherty, and the combination of his age and full-time training might help to coax that out, but his decision making is really poor in terms of what he will do in and out of possession, even if there's a good work-rate and decent physical make-up there to start with.

From Queens' perspective it is a bizarre signing, though. The fee will likely be a pittance but even so you'd like to imagine sights would be set far higher than a guy who was underwhelming for one of the jobbiest sides League 1 has seen. Good luck to both parties!

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think Paton would have struggled to bag many goals in that Clyde side last season tbh so I'll give him time before I dismiss him.  

I'm not sure he would've. Jordan Allan managed to hit double figures before leaving in January. A problem with Doherty, as Jaggy Snake mentioned above, is he just barely gets into scoring positions. Has a lot of speculative efforts from distance. If Bartley is intending on using him as a link player then he's probably better suited to that but I still feel it's a strange signing. Good luck to him though, didn't rate him but worked hard for the team and poor players are more tolerable than ones who can't be bothered. 

Very surprised you've take Doherty on a 2yr full time deal. He was almost anonymous for us over 6 months & not sure he did much more at Clyde. No lack of effort but little end outcome.

Glass half full he did remind me a bit if Jordyn Sheerin, who when fit was unplayable at times, so maybe the FT training will bring out a better player.

Kyle Doherty celebrated a goal against Airdrie directly in front of our fans, which was quite odd given nobody knew who he was, so he fits as a Paton replacement in that category but that’s about it. I do quite like the rest of Bartley’s business so far though and there’s been nothing to fear yet from the other teams, so I suppose you have to have faith in him.

13 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Kyle Doherty celebrated a goal against Airdrie directly in front of our fans, which was quite odd given nobody knew who he was, so he fits as a Paton replacement in that category but that’s about it. I do quite like the rest of Bartley’s business so far though and there’s been nothing to fear yet from the other teams, so I suppose you have to have faith in him.

Yeah, ssh-ing us, the lot. Genuinely had no idea who he was. 

We then put another 4 past them. 

Funny times indeed.

21 minutes ago, FrankReynolds said:

It’s a bit comical that the clubs social media said this was “a busy day of signings” and all we got was 2 re-signings (one who’ll probably not play this season and another who’s near the end of his career at this level) and then a signing who struggled at the team who finished bottom of the league. We’re in for a treat this season aren’t we? 

If you're suggesting Todd is near the end of his career at this level then I'd have to disagree. 

9 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

If you're suggesting Todd is near the end of his career at this level then I'd have to disagree. 

I genuinely have no idea what some people are seeing with Todd. He turned 29 yesterday. He's not at the end of his career. There's perhaps an impression as he's been around for so long that he's older than he is but he's comfortably got another 3 or 4 years at full time football I'd have said barring major injury. He played over 40 games last season, scoring 6 goals and was probably our most creative central player. He's not the winger he was in his first spell and I'd accept he doesn't have the legs for that any more but as a central midfielder there aren't many better at this level. I'm delighted he's back.

And the notion that he's not a leader is nonsense too. Chris Higgins he's not (few are) but he's a perfectly good captain and I'm really not sure who else in the current squad would be a better shout.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And the notion that he's not a leader is nonsense too. Chris Higgins he's not (few are) but he's a perfectly good captain and I'm really not sure who else in the current squad would be a better shout.

Had this discussion last year when his captaincy was questioned. I watched him 'exclusively' for about a 5 minute spell and he was vocal the whole time. He doesn't scream and shout like some Captains but he's certainly not mute. You don't need to scream and shout and IMO when it's a younger squad I think the Todd 'Talk them through the game, calmy' approach is far better. 

Admittedly I didn’t realise Todd was only 29, he’s had a hard paper round it seems. Should have probably checked his age before I said that - so I take it back. My point still stands though, “a busy day of signings” turned out to be absolute horse shit (except for young Toddy.) 

5 minutes ago, FrankReynolds said:

Admittedly I didn’t realise Todd was only 29, he’s had a hard paper round it seems. Should have probably checked his age before I said that - so I take it back. My point still stands though, “a busy day of signings” turned out to be absolute horse shit (except for young Toddy.) 

Maybe just a bit of excitement from social admin.

But signings and re-signings (but not resignings) all count as signing news. 

51 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Had this discussion last year when his captaincy was questioned. I watched him 'exclusively' for about a 5 minute spell and he was vocal the whole time. He doesn't scream and shout like some Captains but he's certainly not mute. You don't need to scream and shout and IMO when it's a younger squad I think the Todd 'Talk them through the game, calmy' approach is far better. 

He's well capable of screaming in the confines of the dressing room when the situation demands it too!