The Queen of the South thread

4 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Did you not say before that Queens home games aren’t included in the stats? That might be part of the reason but, equally, could be irrelevant.

Some games are missing, apparently, but im not sure if that gets resolved once the season ends or not.

36 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Obviously the situation can change once the squad is complete but it is currently looking like a very young squad that Bartley is assembling.

He strikes me as a very confident man who backs himself and his coaching abilities, so a strategy of signing young players on 2 year deals is appealing as he will expect to improve these players which will then lead to the team being successful and/or the players moving on and bringing in transfer fees.

It's a high risk strategy because it relies on Bartley being as good a coach as he thinks he is, having a keen eye for a player, and the players themselves actually being capable of improving.  It's a big ask for someone in their first managerial job, but he definitely talks the talk so I can see why the board have been seduced into backing him.

None of the above is really meant as a criticism, more an observation.  It is probably as good a strategy as any at this level where recruitment is so hit and miss.  He did bring an improvement out of last season's squad (certainly results-wise anyway) but the bar was set so low I don't know if that can be used as concrete evidence.

One thing I'd be concerned about is that Bartley is already quite a high profile/highly regarded name in the media.  He will undoubtedly be linked with every job under the sun once the trigger happy Chairmen in the higher leagues start getting twitchy.  If he were to leave part way through his "project" it might be tough to find a manager ready to carry on his work as most managers want their own players.  This would put the club back to square one of clearing out multiple players and starting from scratch again.

Agree with most of this.  Although, the risk of losing the manager is nothing new at our level - if we unearth a promising player or manager they will always attract attention from the vultures above ... that's just the way it is and we need to enjoy the good times when they come around.

In terms of the squad re-build, I think its been decent so far but the obvious concern is the striker role where what we have just now isn't going to get us into the top end of the league.  I'm hopeful that there might still be some more business to be done up front though.

Sounds like this Doherty boy has got a lot of people to prove wrong about him. Hopefully it turns out to be a good fit and Bartley can get something out of him. Bartley says he's looked at the boy a few times so he must see something to work with. 

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Sounds like this Doherty boy has got a lot of people to prove wrong about him. Hopefully it turns out to be a good fit and Bartley can get something out of him. Bartley says he's looked at the boy a few times so he must see something to work with. 

Apparently Doherty had a trial at QPR season before last so someone must see something in him. Would be great to have Paton/ or Connolly back but maybe a forlorn hope. It’s very early days but we need considerably better quality up front than currently signed or else will be a struggle. I’m still optimistic that Marv has some cards up his sleeve. Important the Board supports him. 

3 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Apparently Doherty had a trial at QPR season before last so someone must see something in him. Would be great to have Paton/ or Connolly back but maybe a forlorn hope. It’s very early days but we need considerably better quality up front than currently signed or else will be a struggle. I’m still optimistic that Marv has some cards up his sleeve. Important the Board supports him. 

There's a fair bit of evidence of the board giving good support already I'd suggest.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No worries. It's not important. Just curious. Harry's a good player and can be at the root of a lot of what we do well but he's more deep lying and, notwithstanding scoring in both our last two games of the season, he's not directly or even immediately indirectly a "goal threat". He should show up much lower than Todd.

Todd's not exactly a goal machine from midfield, and last season's return of 6 was better than usual, but my belief is that he is a direct threat in scoring or creating them and I'm surprised the stats show him up otherwise.

Was it not four goals in the league? 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf orange isnt necessarily bad, just below the average really. Do wonder if someone (Matty Todd at a guess) has just ridiculously large figures than are skewing everything?

Have to check, finding stuff like this thats wrong helps me improve it.

Matty Todd is a weird one, I think he'd show up ok for goal threat and progressive running, however his best attribute is his off the ball running which will be almost impossible to quantify. 

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Was it not four goals in the league? 

Dont know to be honest. He got 6 in 41 for season. I didnt look for a split. He definitely got one at Ayr in League Cup. Maybe scored at Alloa in the spfl trust trophy too when I think about it.

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dont know to be honest. He got 6 in 41 for season. I didnt look for a split. He definitely got one at Ayr in League Cup. Maybe scored at Alloa in the spfl trust trophy too when I think about it.

With Hamilton staying full time, are they Falkirk and QOS the others in the division or more ?

Marvin comes across as a smart fella and I like his business so far.  Given that he's handed out a 2 year contract and paid a (no doubt small) fee for Doherty he clearly thinks he sees good potential there and potential that can be realised through coaching.  He maybe sees Doherty as being more of a disruptive handful for defences (eg Dykes type) as opposed to an out and out goal scorer (re his stats).  So I hear what the Clyde/Kelty folk are saying, but I'm going to give the lad a chance to see how things go.  Too early to jump to conclusions.

6 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

With Hamilton staying full time, are they Falkirk and QOS the others in the division or more ?

I think Cove will be some kind of hybrid part-time/full time mix.

25 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Thank you huge pressure on the four clubs ?

Always the case. Don't think the four managers will need reminding of it, goes with the territory. Bring it on! 👍

It won’t be against the rules as his contract ran out in May but a Queens player or ex player if he doesn’t sign again was playing for an amateur side on Sunday up at NWCC.  Cant see him signing this season if he’s playing in a pointless game like that against an amateur side who finished bottom of the Sunday league. 

55 minutes ago, FrankReynolds said:

It won’t be against the rules as his contract ran out in May but a Queens player or ex player if he doesn’t sign again was playing for an amateur side on Sunday up at NWCC.  Cant see him signing this season if he’s playing in a pointless game like that against an amateur side who finished bottom of the Sunday league. 

Who was it?

6 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Marvin comes across as a smart fella and I like his business so far.  Given that he's handed out a 2 year contract and paid a (no doubt small) fee for Doherty he clearly thinks he sees good potential there and potential that can be realised through coaching.  He maybe sees Doherty as being more of a disruptive handful for defences (eg Dykes type) as opposed to an out and out goal scorer (re his stats).  So I hear what the Clyde/Kelty folk are saying, but I'm going to give the lad a chance to see how things go.  Too early to jump to conclusions.

I think we should be concentrating on proven rather than potential. 

Should be pushing the boat out and bringing in quality before we become a settled league one team. 

To me it looks like we're following the same crappy formula of the last few seasons, clearly budget derived. 

17 minutes ago, Kunter said:

I think we should be concentrating on proven rather than potential. 

Should be pushing the boat out and bringing in quality before we become a settled league one team. 

To me it looks like we're following the same crappy formula of the last few seasons, clearly budget derived. 

That's the spirit!