The Queen of the South thread

Much as I live Marv, he has to shoulder some of the blame here. He played a keeper who got home from Greece at 4am the day before the match, who admits he didn't even know other players names and who had no chance of knowing how the defence plays. I find the whole Ambrose thing strange. Who stitches up a 'mate' like that (unless he had a valid issue, in which case why didn't Marv start him. Maybe ge literally arrived 5 mins before the match). Surely it would have been better to play Cowie who at the least had 2 proper sleeps behind him and knows the team?

Also worried by his comments that some players think they know best and didn't follow the plan. After I assume 3 wins where the plan worked that is strange behaviour. Those guys need to be binned. 

59 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

That Lewis Gibson looks like some player. What’s the story with him then? I notice he’s Wullies Gibsons son. Did he come through your youth academy or did Wullie bring him to the club when he was manager?

Lewis came through the youth set up. 

I think there probably are issues attached to us being so far at the lower end of the spectrum of  full time clubs.  

For me though, had Brydon managed to not get injured in that pre-season bounce game against Dundee United, we'd be much better off.  It's proved to be something of a disaster for us.  

30 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think there probably are issues attached to us being so far at the lower end of the spectrum of  full time clubs.  

For me though, had Brydon managed to not get injured in that pre-season bounce game against Dundee United, we'd be much better off.  It's proved to be something of a disaster for us.  

100% this. Brydon’s been a huge miss. Just a defender who likes to defend and keeps it simple. Whereby Mckays, largely, the opposite. He looks somewhat hesitant most of the time. I want to see him do well but being hooked at half time (again) will destroy what must be an already fragile confidence.

McLelland looks considerably better with Ambrose beside him and gets stuck in. I think he’ll come good. Going forward, a bit of consistency in defensive selection required to build confidence I believe.

35 minutes ago, rubber_duck said:

100% this. Brydon’s been a huge miss. Just a defender who likes to defend and keeps it simple. Whereby Mckays, largely, the opposite. He looks somewhat hesitant most of the time. I want to see him do well but being hooked at half time (again) will destroy what must be an already fragile confidence.

McLelland looks considerably better with Ambrose beside him and gets stuck in. I think he’ll come good. Going forward, a bit of consistency in defensive selection required to build confidence I believe.

McKay did not get hooked at half time he was one of the 3 at the back.

The young Hibs left back got hooked I felt sorry for him he was like a rabbit in the headlights way out of his depth.

4 hours ago, lyle be back said:

I find the whole Ambrose thing strange. Who stitches up a 'mate' like that 

4 hours ago, lyle be back said:

Also worried by his comments that some players think they know best and didn't follow the plan. After I assume 3 wins where the plan worked that is strange behaviour. Those guys need to be binned. 

So you think he should have played Ambrose notwithstanding ill-discipline because it's one of his mates, but other players who didn't stick to the game plan need to get binned? 

Find much of the reaction a bit baffling. Knives out for a young manager who has brought professionalism, a decent style of football, excitement, and much improved results to the club.

Improvement is never linear. There are going to be bad days. But the manager on the whole is doing a great job.

5 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

So you think he should have played Ambrose notwithstanding ill-discipline because it's one of his mates, but other players who didn't stick to the game plan need to get binned? 

Find much of the reaction a bit baffling. Knives out for a young manager who has brought professionalism, a decent style of football, excitement, and much improved results to the club.

Improvement is never linear. There are going to be bad days. But the manager on the whole is doing a great job.

Think you read that the wrong way. What I meant was why did Ambrose stitch up MB, who is a friend, by turning up late? Not why didn't Marvin play him when he arrived late. Marvin was being stitched up, not Ambrose. And by binned, I mean dropped, which Marvin has already pretty much said is likely to happen.

I like what Marvin is trying to do here. And I don't expect a linear progression. We're night and day from last year.

7 minutes ago, ShadyLane said:

On the issue of the starting GK, to be fair he wasn't at fault for any of the goals and didn't really do anything wrong otherwise either.

One thing I did notice was several times he took long goal kicks. QoS have never done that all season and always plays it out to the centre halves within their own box. A lack of not knowing the game plan

1 hour ago, lyle be back said:

Think you read that the wrong way. What I meant was why did Ambrose stitch up MB, who is a friend, by turning up late? Not why didn't Marvin play him when he arrived late. Marvin was being stitched up, not Ambrose. And by binned, I mean dropped, which Marvin has already pretty much said is likely to happen.

I like what Marvin is trying to do here. And I don't expect a linear progression. We're night and day from last year.

Fair enough, I did read it the wrong way. I agree with what you've said above, although I am always late so I have some sympathy with Ambrose!

9 hours ago, lyle be back said:

Hard to agree that we are night and day from last season, so far we have beaten the two promoted sides that are currently occupying 10th and 9th and beat Cove who contrived to miss 5/6 sitters. I’m not knocking the job Marvin is doing as it won’t be a quick fix but let’s not forget we are 0/2 at home and we have played two teams we would have hoped to be finishing above this season. Add in a disappointing draw at home to East Fife and we have picked up 2/12 points including league cup games. 

I would say the start of this season is following a very familiar pattern, hope I’m wrong but I’m not overly optimistic. The next two league games will give us an idea of where we are. 

Edited by Broony88

37 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Hard to agree that we are night and day from last season, so far we have beaten the two promoted sides that are currently occupying 10th and 9th and beat Cove who contrived to miss 5/6 sitters. I’m not knocking the job Marvin is doing as it won’t be a quick fix but let’s not forget we are 0/2 at home and we have played two teams we would have hoped to be finishing above this season. Add in a disappointing draw at home to East Fife and we have picked up 2/12 points including league cup games. 

I would say the start of this season is following a very familiar pattern, hope I’m wrong but I’m not overly optimistic. The next two league games will give us an idea of where we are. 

I agree with the sentiment, but am struggling with your numbers.

Are you forgetting our home win over Annan?

I'm glad I've not seen anyone say they walked out at half time yet! All 3 league games at Palmerston this season have been really entertaining. Sure, I prefer it when Queens win, but I can still enjoy a game when we loose. Apart from a total inability to defend, I think we've actually played well so far. I've said it before, there are plenty of options not far away if all you want to do is watch your team win every week. If you're going to watch Queens, you have to accept we're going to loose occasionally!

9 hours ago, queenslad said:

One thing I did notice was several times he took long goal kicks. QoS have never done that all season and always plays it out to the centre halves within their own box. A lack of not knowing the game plan

Don't think it's entirely true to say our keeper's haven't gone long several times from goal kicks, not every one has been played out from the back. When the opposition push maybe 3 up to the edge of the box it can be dodgy to play it out all the time. I get that Bartley prefers playing from the back but sometimes it's not feasible.

GeneralIy think there's been too much made of the new keeper coming in as a last minute replacement, as has been said earlier, it wasn't him who let us down. 

3 hours ago, Broony88 said:

Very harsh. I missed all the sitters in the highlights Cove missed for a start but that aside we've got the exact number points after 5 games as we did after playing each side once last season. If we still have 9 points after the next 4 league games then I'll agree it's a similar start. 

Until we can stop gifting goals to the opposition we won't be anywhere near the top, regardless mind you. 

1 hour ago, Biblemaster said:

I'm glad I've not seen anyone say they walked out at half time yet! All 3 league games at Palmerston this season have been really entertaining. Sure, I prefer it when Queens win, but I can still enjoy a game when we loose. Apart from a total inability to defend, I think we've actually played well so far. I've said it before, there are plenty of options not far away if all you want to do is watch your team win every week. If you're going to watch Queens, you have to accept we're going to loose occasionally!

I'll be honest, if Montrose had come out and grabbed a 3rd early in the second half I'd have been heading home. 

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Very harsh. I missed all the sitters in the highlights Cove missed for a start but that aside we've got the exact number points after 5 games as we did after playing each side once last season. If we still have 9 points after the next 4 league games then I'll agree it's a similar start. 

Put your shooting boots on next time.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Until we can stop gifting goals to the opposition we won't be anywhere near the top, regardless mind you. 

I'll be honest, if Montrose had come out and grabbed a 3rd early in the second half I'd have been heading home. 

Go back and watch them again, your take of a sitter might be different to mine but they had 5/6 very very good chances that they squandered. They had 15 shots to our 6 many of which were blocked while heading goalbound or fired wide/over. 

I think we have fallen short of the points total we should have considering we picked up three great points at Cove.

Maybe we don’t have aspirations to get out of this league but if we do the two home defeats are not good enough. The fact they have followed a very similar pattern to last season of being extremely soft at the back and lack a killer instinct at the other end is worrying. You might see it differently which is absolutely fine but the jury is out here. Like I said above the next two games will give us more of an indication of where we are. Two defeats and we are out of the title race already and in a 3/4 way battle for two play off spots while possibly nervously looking over our shoulder @9th place. 

2 hours ago, Broony88 said:

Go back and watch them again, your take of a sitter might be different to mine but they had 5/6 very very good chances that they squandered. They had 15 shots to our 6 many of which were blocked while heading goalbound or fired wide/over. 

I think we have fallen short of the points total we should have considering we picked up three great points at Cove.

Maybe we don’t have aspirations to get out of this league but if we do the two home defeats are not good enough. The fact they have followed a very similar pattern to last season of being extremely soft at the back and lack a killer instinct at the other end is worrying. You might see it differently which is absolutely fine but the jury is out here. Like I said above the next two games will give us more of an indication of where we are. Two defeats and we are out of the title race already and in a 3/4 way battle for two play off spots while possibly nervously looking over our shoulder @9th place. 

We will never be   in a title race at best we will finish 3rd.

That is not being negative just realistic Hamilton and especially Falkirk have better squads than us. 

That would do me at least we would get into the playoffs if not then Marvin would have some very difficult discussions with the board who have backed him 100 % so far  with everything he has wanted to do.