The Queen of the South thread

Fair enough, I think I’ve been lucky this year to see a couple of really decent performances, and appreciate there might not have been many overall. Of course it feels like we should be doing much better but I do wonder whether expectations are higher than they should be these days? 

26 minutes ago, FyldeCoastDoonhamer said:

Fair enough, I think I’ve been lucky this year to see a couple of really decent performances*, and appreciate there might not have been many overall. Of course it feels like we should be doing much better but I do wonder whether expectations are higher than they should be these days?**

*I'm jealous. The only game we've looked good was Motherwell at home. We played well against Annan in the first game but Annan are rank. 

** Possibly. But expecting a shot on target shouldn't be a high expectation at any level of football IMO. 

34 minutes ago, FyldeCoastDoonhamer said:

Fair enough, I think I’ve been lucky this year to see a couple of really decent performances, and appreciate there might not have been many overall. Of course it feels like we should be doing much better but I do wonder whether expectations are higher than they should be these days? 

I don’t think expecting us to be better than stinking out the bottom half of the 3rd tier is expecting too much.

4 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Was Marv in a surly mood?  Ah well probably understandable given all the flak aimed at him. 

Alas, he wasn't.  

He was once more thoroughly upbeat because we ran around lots and didn't get hammered. 

He's really pissing me off now.  He says that the thing Queens fans demand is effort.  I think he's got us wrong.  Of course we expect the players to try hard, but we didn't get double our home crowd turning out for a testimonial recently, in order to honour hard graft.  We actually quite like being entertained.

I was at the St Mirren cup tie and in my post in the match thread I acknowledged that the players worked hard to fulfill Marvin's game plan, and for 3/4 of the game it worked. Not an unreasonable game plan given our injury situation and given the opposition were 2 leagues above us and at home. That said, I had 2 main criticisms ...

1 - Once we went behind, with 1/4 of the game left, we didn't immediately become more expansive to try to get back in the game. We were heading out anyway, so why not throw the dice?

2 - Plan A carried zero threat and was effectively hoping for ET and penalties from the kick off. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Buckie had more shots at Parkhead than we did in Paisley.

I didn't expect us to beat St Mirren but we weren't exactly up against Real Madrid so it would have been nice to have at least carried some threat.

Edited by Otis Blue

6 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Queens league record against teams outside the bottom 2.

P15 W2 D3 L11 F 16 A 27 Pts 9.

An acceptable record if the target is to avoid relegation to League 2.

Yes, our expectations are clearly much too high.

Personally, I'm thrilled with these stats.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

DD has summed it up in a nutshell above. That isn't a terrible result given it was a decent St Mirren side two leagues above us and we're pretty shit. But I find it very depressing that we're now at a place where going to grounds and failing to have a shot on target is seen as acceptable. That's two away games in a row we've failed to test the opposition goalkeeper. Surprisingly, as well as our manager, some fans on here seem to think that's ok. And yet those who moan about those stats are being slated for being negative by the happy clappers. Irony bypass. 

Is MB being a defender an issue? All you hear from him his about organisation about not conceding a goal, never anything about trying to go forward, get into opposition half and have attempts on goal. How good are we at set plays - free kirks in and around the box and corners? Does McKay not have a good long throw? Do we practice these parts of the game or is it all about positional play in stopping opponents?

Do we have a forward coach?

42 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Is MB being a defender an issue? All you hear from him his about organisation about not conceding a goal, never anything about trying to go forward, get into opposition half and have attempts on goal. How good are we at set plays - free kirks in and around the box and corners? Does McKay not have a good long throw? Do we practice these parts of the game or is it all about positional play in stopping opponents?

Do we have a forward coach?

A few weeks back I thought  at the very least changing the assistant manager might be something to consider as it was clear Bartley was going nowhere.  Someone other than Murray may have provided a different perspective for Bartley (and the players) and perhaps a change in coaching styles/approaches - as it’s pretty damn clear the current set up isn’t getting the best out of the squad.  But very much doubt that’ll happen either. 

57 minutes ago, rubber_duck said:

A few weeks back I thought  at the very least changing the assistant manager might be something to consider as it was clear Bartley was going nowhere.  Someone other than Murray may have provided a different perspective for Bartley (and the players) and perhaps a change in coaching styles/approaches - as it’s pretty damn clear the current set up isn’t getting the best out of the squad.  But very much doubt that’ll happen either. 

Murray actually has quite a good reputation as a coach which is surprising enough. Of course when Bartley got the job he should have had the option of who his assistant was though.

54 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Murray actually has quite a good reputation as a coach which is surprising enough. Of course when Bartley got the job he should have had the option of who his assistant was though.

Think he probably would have brought his own assistant with him but Murray was contracted to the end of the season. He had the opportunity to change assistant managers at the end of last season when Murrays contract ran out, but he kept him and to be fair they had not a bad record together at the end on last season... 

All ifs and buts I know ... but we missed out on the Hoops at Palmy in the Big Cup draw ... not that we were ever even remotely close to getting there. 😐

(Wee Lee will be disappointed). 😂

39 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

All ifs and buts I know ... but we missed out on the Hoops at Palmy in the Big Cup draw ... not that we were ever even remotely close to getting there. 😐

(Wee Lee will be disappointed). 😂

I never watched the draw (and dont really know who's through. Only just saw Bonnyrigg beat Falkirk!) so no really sure who was left. But would we have been the same number as Saints? 

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I never watched the draw (and dont really know who's through. Only just saw Bonnyrigg beat Falkirk!) so no really sure who was left. But would we have been the same number as Saints? 

No, we wouldn’t have. If we had gone through we’d have been home to Ayr, and the cheeks would have been up against each other. 

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Think he probably would have brought his own assistant with him but Murray was contracted to the end of the season. He had the opportunity to change assistant managers at the end of last season when Murrays contract ran out, but he kept him and to be fair they had not a bad record together at the end on last season... 

I think Murray is a busted flush. Sacked at Raith, part of Gibsons failed regime and contributing nothing now. I like the idea of a Jimmy Nicholl style mentor

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

... But would we have been the same number as Saints? 

9 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

No, we wouldn’t have. If we had gone through we’d have been home to Ayr, and the cheeks would have been up against each other. 

... I was never one for detail tbf ... 😂

19 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

*I'm jealous. The only game we've looked good was Motherwell at home. We played well against Annan in the first game but Annan are rank. 

** Possibly. But expecting a shot on target shouldn't be a high expectation at any level of football IMO. 

Montrose away as well to be fair.  Though that doesn't mean that the season so far has been close to acceptable.

Nice interview there with Jack Brydon, good lad, gives everything on the pitch.  Thought he played well on Saturday and we might have prevented the goal if he'd still been on the pitch second half.  Sensible decision to only give him one half though so that he's fine for the league game on Saturday at Cove.

Might also have Gavin and Harry back for the Cove game. 👍

49 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Montrose away as well to be fair.  Though that doesn't mean that the season so far has been close to acceptable.

Sorry, I meant the games I've physically witnessed. 

19 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I was at the St Mirren cup tie and in my post in the match thread I acknowledged that the players worked hard to fulfill Marvin's game plan, and for 3/4 of the game it worked. Not an unreasonable game plan given our injury situation and given the opposition were 2 leagues above us and at home. That said, I had 2 main criticisms ...

1 - Once we went behind, with 1/4 of the game left, we didn't immediately become more expensive to try to get back in the game. We were heading out anyway, so why not throw the dice?

2 - Plan A carried zero threat and was effectively hoping for ET and penalties from the kick off. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Buckie had more shots at Parkhead than we did in Paisley.

I didn't expect us to beat St Mirren but we weren't exactly up against Real Madrid so it would have been nice to have at least carried some threat.

I too was at the St Mirren game, and agree with the points that you have made.  Taken in isolation a narrow defeat away to opponents 2 leagues above us is not a terrible result.  The game plan may have been understandable had we been playing Celtic at Parkhead.  However St Mirren although decent are hardly at Celtics level, and were very much there to be got at.

Once we went a goal down we should have opened up a bit more and tried to get back in to the tie.  A continuation of Plan A was never going to achieve that.  At least trying to make the keeper work is a reasonable expectation.

21 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wasn't at the Motherwell game due to work commitments.  Annan away we were ok for the 1st half then completely fell out of it 2nd half.  Montrose away was a decent performance.  Sadly performances of this nature are in the minority, with utter dross being the normal.

I see it as a sad indictment of how far we have declined when not having a shot on target (or a shot at all) is seen by some to be acceptable.