The Queen of the South thread

6 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

We had this discussion a couple of years ago when Kenny Miller was our interim manager. We were absolutely honking, yet any opportunity to go on some form of media and salivate about Rangers, Miller would be there. I thought this was pretty bad form, others weren’t bothered, saying people can do what they want with their spare time. But Bartley is your full-time manager. It’s obviously not my place to tell Queens fans how to think, but going on the TV 24 hours after his full-time side have been dragged into a League One relegation scrap to offer his insight into a Hibs Rangers game doesn’t seem a great look to me. 

I don't have much of a problem with him doing media work.

However, many of us were pissed off a few weeks ago when he was on Sportsound.  He was asked about his football weekend, and was haughtily dismissive of our latest defeat, but delighted that Arsenal had beaten Liverpool.  

That was pretty galling, right enough.  For now, I'm content with how ridiculous his pontificating looks.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aw mate, sit down and I'll tell you a tale. It'll make you feel far better:- 

I'd kill for that kind of form. We've won 4 games in 5 months. Of our 8 wins this season, 5 of them have come against the bottom 2 in the league; as well as 63% of our total points tally. The last two games against those two sides we've mustered 1 point. So you can appreciate how bad things are when our 'points Cow' has dried up. We're heading one way. 

See you in the playoffs for the most depressing game of the season, where both sides fight it out for the right to lose to Peterhead or Spartans in a shame game?

Regardless of whether he should or shouldn't be sacked, I can't remember the last time I saw a manager perform as badly in comparison to the club's expectations and not lose his job. It's just so rare nowadays for someone underperforming that badly to not lose his job. You might understand it if Bartley had a great CV to buy him some time, or that it wasn't his players and he had the 'judge me when it's my team' excuse, but neither is the case.

He must be on a tidy salary if the board are still reluctant to sack him due to the cost of a pay-off. Or they have an incredible level of faith in someone who has done nothing to earn that faith.

45 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

... He must be on a tidy salary if the board are still reluctant to sack him due to the cost of a pay-off. Or they have an incredible level of faith in someone who has done nothing to earn that faith.

Or ... the board have decided it's all too difficult/too much hassle for them and consequently they've announced they're chucking it instead and walking out en masse at the end of the season leaving some other poor bugger to pick up the mess in the summer (if anyone comes forth to do so that is).

53 years of watching Queens and I thought I'd witnessed every version of shite there was to witness, but this omnishambles is way up there.

Edited by Otis Blue

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Don't say that.

The poor  guy will attempt to stay up for 72 hours if we've still heard nothing.

Jeezo no chance. Has he gone yet though? 

14 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Regardless of whether he should or shouldn't be sacked, I can't remember the last time I saw a manager perform as badly in comparison to the club's expectations and not lose his job. It's just so rare nowadays for someone underperforming that badly to not lose his job. You might understand it if Bartley had a great CV to buy him some time, or that it wasn't his players and he had the 'judge me when it's my team' excuse, but neither is the case.

He must be on a tidy salary if the board are still reluctant to sack him due to the cost of a pay-off. Or they have an incredible level of faith in someone who has done nothing to earn that faith.

Our board will happily allow him to drive us over the cliff before they decide to address the situation.  

It is just not in their make up to take evasive action, to avoid the catastrophe that everyone else can see coming from a long way out. 

6 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Our board will happily allow him to drive us over the cliff before they decide to address the situation.  

It is just not in their make up to take evasive action, to avoid the catastrophe that everyone else can see coming from a long way out. 

They've also deliberately dodged the issue and the decision by announcing now that they're walking away - Marvin must be having a right old chuckle to himself.  He's going nowhere until a new board arrives ... hope to hell I'm proved wrong.

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

They've also deliberately dodged the issue and the decision by announcing now that they're walking away - Marvin must be having a right old chuckle to himself.  He's going nowhere until a new board arrives ... hope to hell I'm proved wrong.

Why would they throw more money down the tubes to get rid of him when they're leaving in a couple of months?

It's the second bit that really grates on me seeing him yesterday on TV chatting without a care in the world, while we the supporters have had our weekends spoiled far the last few months and they will be until at least the end of the season.

I've made no secret of my dislike of the guy from day one, just felt something wasn't right. Sadly, I've been proven right but lately he's taken things to a new level with his ineptitude and seemingly contempt of our club.

I don't personally understand the logic that the board have dodged the issue by announcing they're leaving. Legally, they still have responsibilities to the club. Of more consequence to them, you would think, is their own legacy and whether they want to be the directors that see us relegated to the fourth tier for the first ever time.

Edit: Ah, @bod has just posted this while I was typing:

2 minutes ago, bod said:

Why would they throw more money down the tubes to get rid of him when they're leaving in a couple of months?

That would make sense if it was their own money, but it's not.

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

14 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

There seems to be talk of him getting reduced bunce if we fail to get promoted. If that's the case then surely when we're mathematically unable to reach the promotion playoffs (about 2 weeks' time potentially) it should come into effect? That's the only thing I'm clinging onto the now. By that time Annan could very well be above us though. 

Until the current Board do actually walk away they are still responsible for the well being of the Club which should involve trying to maintain as high a position in the division as possible, or even surviving in the division this season, and if that means replacing the manager then they must still make that decision. Does anyone actually know if there's anyone ready to take over as Directors, surely a better proposition to get people in if we an maintain League 1 status.

On 10/03/2024 at 11:33, Monkey Tennis said:

I really think he might this time.  Yesterday was always likely to be a test.  He failed it and I think his time could be up.

Maybe not, but I can definitely see it this time.

I'm starting to wonder 🤔 whether football really is a results based business...

When was the last time Queens had a sustained period at this level or below? I seem to recall a time in the mid to late 90s where we played QoS alot in this same tier. Have you been in bottom tier in the last 30 years? 

Basically what I'm asking, if you do go down, will this literally (not objectively) be your lowest league placing in the last 30 or 40 years?