The Queen of the South thread

8 minutes ago, bod said:

Feel we're shooting ourselves in the foot here with keeping Bartley in post. We're at the time of the season where clubs are quietly talking to players and getting squads sorted for next season, who's going to sign for this clown?

It's common knowledge lots of punters won't be renewing season tickets or coming to watch while Bartley's in post which should be a real concern. There's talk of it costing circ £50k to get rid, surely that would be the best money spent for a while. I'm sure there would be an increase in support and a buzz about the place next weekend if he was gone.

The club is in a downward spiral and we need to address this asap. 

He’s only still our manager because of what it’ll cost the current BOD’s to pay him off. We can only hope that McLinden and the other new directors ( whoever they’ll be ) will do the right thing and get him out our club ASAP. 

7 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

He’s only still our manager because of what it’ll cost the current BOD’s to pay him off. We can only hope that McLinden and the other new directors ( whoever they’ll be ) will do the right thing and get him out our club ASAP. 

You would really, really have to hope so! I'm just living in fear that because we've never heard anything about his situation that he'll still be at Palmerston next season. Surely not!! But if so, I won't be, unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

You would really, really have to hope so! I'm just living in fear that because we've never heard anything about his situation that he'll still be at Palmerston next season. Surely not!! But if so, I won't be, unfortunately.

Well, he's definitely going to be in situ until the new board has been formed.  It's starting to become a major concern that it would seem that only one suitable director has been identified or put themselves forward in the two months since the current mob, who clearly have no intention of dealing with the Bartley problem, announced that they would stepping down.  This makes it all the more essential that Hewitson & Co ramp up their efforts to get a new board is in place asap, a new board who recognise that binning Bartley before the summer transfer window opens in order to prevent him from overseeing another summer recruitment shambles is an immediate priority.

Well, I managed to make it through the first 45 seconds of the buffoon's post match interview before turning it off.  His opening gambit regarding his pre-match team talk was "it is imperative that we don't lose this game of football.  Go out there and give everything you can, possibly to win it."  Possibly?  FFS!

Edited by Slipmat

8 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Well, he's definitely going to be in situ until the new board has been formed.  It's starting to become a major concern that it would seem that only one suitable director has been identified or put themselves forward in the two months since the current mob, who clearly have no intention of dealing with the Bartley problem, announced that they would stepping down.  This makes it all the more essential that Hewitson & Co ramp up their efforts to get a new board is in place asap, a new board who recognise that binning Bartley before the summer transfer window opens in order to prevent him from overseeing another summer recruitment shambles is an immediate priority.

I would like to think Hewitson and Co already have board members lined up to take over .

The sooner they announce it the better I for one will not renew my season ticket untill a new board is in place with a new manager .

It has clearly not worked with Marvin as manager he can't be allowed to sign a new squad for next season.

On that why must we stay full time why not try a hybrid system. 

We have to change something as us bring full time has given us no advantage from any part time team.

It used to be a part time player was not as fit but nowadays they do as much in the gym etc as any full time player .

I thought we had all come to the sad realisation a couple of months back that nothing was happening re Bartley's position.  Effectively, we have no board with which to sack him (the current board have to all intents and purposes downed tools, avoiding the big decision).  So he'll be in place through the close-season at least until a new board is eventually formed and by which time most players (of reasonable quality) will have decided which clubs to join for next season ... sadly, I fear that yet another (ie next) season may already be in the bin.  If we somehow manage to hold our place in L1 we're probably facing yet another relegation battle next season again.  It's just so depressing.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I thought we had all come to the sad realisation a couple of months back that nothing was happening re Bartley's position.  Effectively, we have no board with which to sack him (the current board have to all intents and purposes downed tools, avoiding the big decision).  So he'll be in place through the close-season at least until a new board is eventually formed and by which time most players (of reasonable quality) will have decided which clubs to join for next season ... sadly, I fear that yet another (ie next) season may already be in the bin.  If we somehow manage to hold our place in L1 we're probably facing yet another relegation battle next season again.  It's just so depressing.

The board downed tools years ago. Bad decision after bad decision.  I am delighted they are going at the end of the season. It can’t come soon enough.  All the shit they have left us in both on and off the park will be their legacy.

The first job of the incoming board will surely be to sack Bartley and his staff. 

6 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

The board downed tools years ago. Bad decision after bad decision.  I am delighted they are going at the end of the season. It can’t come soon enough.  All the shit they have left us in both on and off the park will be their legacy.

The first job of the incoming board will surely be to sack Bartley and his staff. 

Murray’s contract is expiring this summer anyway so imagine he’d go regardless (hopefully)

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Well, I managed to make it through the first 45 seconds of the buffoon's post match interview before turning it off.  His opening gambit regarding his pre-match team talk was "it is imperative that we don't lose this game of football.  Go out there and give everything you can, possibly to win it."  Possibly?  FFS!

It’s a very low bar but I actually thought it was one of his better post match interviews tbh. That’s not saying much mind you. For all it grates it’s also true that we just couldn’t afford to lose yesterday. 

40 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

It is very difficult to know if McLindon is to be the main man or whether he will support others. No matter what the composition of ownership is the task is a huge one. First priority is to work out our status - PT,FT or hybrid. No matter the set up Bartley has to go asap. Have seldom seen such overall condemnation of any Manager’s tenure from the supporters.

As for the playing staff - very few I would keep. Stone and/or Botterill, Brydon, McLelland, Todd, Kennedy(should have been playing this season in my view), Reilly, Mimnaugh. Add in some of the more promising youngsters. No point in mentioning Lewis as his Dad will ensure that he moves out asap.

Some of the other “regulars” have had endless opportunities to prove their worth and continually fail to deliver so they have to go if we can move them on. If not we’re stuck with them.

Just hope new owners are presiding over a L1 outfit not a L2 outfit?

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

It is very difficult to know if McLindon is to be the main man or whether he will support others. No matter what the composition of ownership is the task is a huge one. First priority is to work out our status - PT,FT or hybrid. No matter the set up Bartley has to go asap. Have seldom seen such overall condemnation of any Manager’s tenure from the supporters.

As for the playing staff - very few I would keep. Stone and/or Botterill, Brydon, McLelland, Todd, Kennedy(should have been playing this season in my view), Reilly, Mimnaugh. Add in some of the more promising youngsters. No point in mentioning Lewis as his Dad will ensure that he moves out asap.

Some of the other “regulars” have had endless opportunities to prove their worth and continually fail to deliver so they have to go if we can move them on. If not we’re stuck with them.

Just hope new owners are presiding over a L1 outfit not a L2 outfit?

What happens with Stone and McClelland is out of the Clubs hands as they are loans, Reilly rumoured to be retiring. We will not have new  owners unless someone actually comes in and buys the club, we will continue to have a Board of Directors, who are not "owners" (hopefully soon in place).

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

What happens with Stone and McClelland is out of the Clubs hands as they are loans, Reilly rumoured to be retiring. We will not have new  owners unless someone actually comes in and buys the club, we will continue to have a Board of Directors, who are not "owners" (hopefully soon in place).

The rumour I heard was he (Reilly) was going to Stenny. Can't say it was a reliable source though so no idea if true. I can't see many players wishing to stay if Bartley's still here anyway. And I doubt Bartley will want to retain any given it's their fault we're in this position, in his head. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I obviously realise that Stone and McLelland are loanees but it is surely not certain that either will have a future at their respective clubs. If they do and they want to stay as bit part players then that is their call. My point was that we could at least express an interest in them and see if they bite. Probably unlikely but it depends on how positive the parent clubs are about their future prospects.

On the ownership front let’s be honest the only assets are the ground/land and arena. The club in L1 /L2 will leak cash like there’s no tomorrow. The big question is who, if anybody, will prop it up as and when any cash that we still have gets burned? 

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The rumour I heard was he (Reilly) was going to Stenny. Can't say it was a reliable source though so no idea if true. I can't see many players wishing to stay if Bartley's still here anyway. And I doubt Bartley will want to retain any given it's their fault we're in this position, in his head. 

Well he was on loan there last season so might be something in the rumour, plus probably wants part-time if he is joining the Fire Service.

37 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Well he was on loan there last season so might be something in the rumour, plus probably wants part-time if he is joining the Fire Service.

Heard our new director is wanting us part time, so a chance he could stay with us if both are true.

9 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Heard our new director is wanting us part time, so a chance he could stay with us if both are true.

If he does live up in the Central Belt area and if he needs to go part- time for work reasons, and depending where his work is based, then looking for a Club nearer home might suit him better. 

If we are considering going part-time how will that affect those players who are presumably on full-time contracts into next season?

Going part-time may be a necessary and sensible idea financially but it just seems like another step back into the previous dark ages we suffered under Harkness. There just seems to be a complete lack of any ambition or forward planning at the top level to try and get the Club out of this rut we find ourselves currently in. With the state of the ground and the "football" we're having to suffer its all a bit depressing.