The Queen of the South thread

Just now, Kunter said:

A journeyman is exactly what we needed given how we've already had two rookie manages flop on the bounce and now have signed Murphy as manger who is very much in the same vain as Gibson and Bartley. 

Only hope is a decent budget to give him a chance 

Murphy has achieved something as a manager and it isn't his first gig. For those two reasons alone I don't think it's fair to say he's like those two. 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Murphy has achieved something as a manager and it isn't his first gig. For those two reasons alone I don't think it's fair to say he's like those two. 

We know what the appeal is, comes cheap and can hopefully work with nothing. 

Until we start spending some money and bringing in quality then we are going no where fast. 

I find it bizarre we haven't given a new board and chairman the decision. 

Seven years in the job too, so plenty experience. Not a journeyman as it's all at one club but that's no bad thing, built up Annan to their best ever finish. Third longest serving manager in SPFL I think he was?

1 minute ago, Kunter said:

We know what the appeal is, comes cheap and can hopefully work with nothing. 

Until we start spending some money and bringing in quality then we are going no where fast. 

I find it bizarre we haven't given a new board and chairman the decision. 

We spent well a few seasons ago and ended up in serious financial trouble. I may be boring but I'd sooner watch us in League 1 than not at all. 

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Exactly this. Gibson and Bartley had combined management experience of zero. Murphy has 7 years as manager of an SPFL club. It’s not even close.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

We spent well a few seasons ago and ended up in serious financial trouble. I may be boring but I'd sooner watch us in League 1 than not at all. 

That was another level spending money we didn't have BUT remember we didn't have the Arena then. 

There's nothing wrong with a board putting money in. That's their job but sensible levels. 

If we don't back Murphy and give him funds then he's going to have a serious challenge. 

1 hour ago, qos_75 said:

Hopefully there is a GTF clause in it when it becomes clear we won’t be going for promotion. 

Landing the manager of a team that couldn’t finish above us last season isn’t a cause for celebration. It seems like another boot in the stones from our supposedly outgoing board. 

Still, the dye has been cast now. That being the case I genuinely hope it works out for him. 

"Successful"  managers move upwards, same as players. Who has recently appointed a manager from a higher level, who hadnt failed at the higher level?

Annan might have finished below us, but relatively, they massively outperformed us.

Posted (edited)

Following on from Murphy's appointment I am hopeful of some good news off the field now too.

More directors coming on board and fresh investment in the club please!!

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Like others he wouldn't have been my first choice.  However the deal is done, and I hope the appointment works out.  I thought his first interview was interesting, he spoke honestly and realistically.  After the Bartley debacle a bit of level headedness is no bad thing.

I liked his observation about us needing to be more physical.  I have felt for a few seasons now that we have lacked a physical presence with too may ball players and no ball winners.

12 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Following on from Murphy's appointment I am hopeful of some good news off the field now too.

More directors coming on board and fresh investment in the club please!!

Noticed he used the phrase "new board", so hopefully that shows the rumours that the current one will end up staying is not true.

4 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

"Successful"  managers move upwards, same as players. Who has recently appointed a manager from a higher level, who hadnt failed at the higher level?

Annan might have finished below us, but relatively, they massively outperformed us.

Over the course of the last 18 games, Annan actually did outperform Queens - 28 points to 21. 
It was a season of two halves for Annan - first half 11 points, which would be 22 for the season and 9th. Second half 28 points, which would be 56 points for the season and 3rd/4th.

12 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Noticed he used the phrase "new board", so hopefully that shows the rumours that the current one will end up staying is not true.

Been told we'll have a new board in place but in the same sentence I was told the old board won't just disappear. There will be a transition period. Which makes sense tbh. 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Been told we'll have a new board in place but in the same sentence I was told the old board won't just disappear. There will be a transition period. Which makes sense tbh. 

Yeah it does. Do you know if the new board will be local, or is the new director getting his way with who will come in?

100% there needs to be a transition period, as running a football club is different to running other types of business.

For all people want to pile into the current board, they are all fans and will want to give the new board ever chance to succeed.

5 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Yeah it does. Do you know if the new board will be local, or is the new director getting his way with who will come in?

I've honestly no idea. I just asked someone connected to the club if we'd have a BoD and they said definitely and the transition. 

Good luck Peter! Welcome to Queens. It’s nice to hear mention of the fans in the interview too that he wants them back and to make Palmerston a more exciting place again. A team we can be proud of is all I ask. Players who show effort and commitment to Queens even if only with us for a short time. 

I liked the sound of Murphy's interview, all level headed, sensible stuff with none of the clichéd soundbites that Bartley used to spout. I think he's a guy that knows what he's about.

One thing I'm sure of is that we'll have a midfield with some dig next season - let's face it, we could hardly have had less dig last season.

47 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

I look forward to our imminent success.

Sorry to drop in, Murphy was a good player for us and every time our manager job has come up the last few years there has been fairly strong links to us. I didn’t want him just purely on the basis that it’s a massive step up. 

I don’t think Annan fans were that impressed with the football on the field but you can’t argue with the results. He has taken them to new heights and looked to be improving in the second half of the season. I think he will do a good job for you guys and have you competing at the right end of the table.

Good luck for the season ahead