The Queen of the South thread

Decent appointment. Murphy's lower-league experience - and they're tough leagues - playing in England means that he'll have plenty contacts in the game down south, so I expect there to be a fair smattering of new players/loans from south of the border.

Add his knowledge of the Scottish game from 3 seasons with Ayr and his time managing Annan, and that's a pretty sound overall knowledge base to be getting on with.  All in all, he's got RELEVANT experience for the job, which with hindsight Bartley simply didn't. 

Also, refreshing that that's the first time in months that I've listened to a Queens manager interview all the way through without feeling pissed-off!

19 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Sorry to drop in, Murphy was a good player for us and every time our manager job has come up the last few years there has been fairly strong links to us. I didn’t want him just purely on the basis that it’s a massive step up. 

image.gif.2350da59fe3767e87dc6eea85eaf7675.gif

WTF!

You're Ayr United, no' Atletico Madrid!

Agree with what others have said and this looks like a very decent appointment. These things are always a bit of a leap of faith but on paper you can certainly see why the board have appointed him. Sounds like his interviews will be more honest and connect with the fans more too which is no bad thing after the nonsense you've been served up this season. I'd be pretty confident you'll improve under him than a 7th place finish, however, how much will he improve you in 1 season? Promotion play offs good enough next season?

Good luck, hope it works out

18 minutes ago, QOS5Ayr4 said:

Also, refreshing that that's the first time in months that I've listened to a Queens manager interview all the way through without feeling pissed-off!

He was treading thinly when he started going on about The Messiah though :lol: I understood the point he was making though.

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He was treading thinly when he started going on about The Messiah though :lol: I understood the point he was making though.

I thought he was spot on with that bit.

18 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Total waste of supporters time and money in my opinion. It’s Queens that need a financial boost not some private individual. 

How is it a total waste of supporters time?

If the club allowed fans to buy more shares they maybe would get a financial boost as it has shown by the trust that some supporters are willing to part with there money to help get more shares.

I don't see why people slate the trust as if its a bad thing.

Would have been good to see the tanner fund and trust work together at a time and try get supporters together but i was shocked when i read the tanner fund had finished up. Obviously must have wanted more of a say in the club finances than they were getting.

Anyway very happy with the appointment of Murphy and  looking forward to next season and will renew mine and my grandsons season tickets whenever they start selling them again. :)  

50 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

.These things are always a bit of a leap of faith but on paper you can certainly see why his best friend on the Board appointed him. 

Ftfy.

55 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

image.gif.2350da59fe3767e87dc6eea85eaf7675.gif

WTF!

You're Ayr United, no' Atletico Madrid!

One of the  times he was a league 2 manager and the difference between l2 and championship is a big gap and the other time was last season when he looked destined for league 2 again. 

enjoy league one M9

1 hour ago, QOS5Ayr4 said:

Decent appointment. Murphy's lower-league experience - and they're tough leagues - playing in England means that he'll have plenty contacts in the game down south, so I expect there to be a fair smattering of new players/loans from south of the border.

Add his knowledge of the Scottish game from 3 seasons with Ayr and his time managing Annan, and that's a pretty sound overall knowledge base to be getting on with.  All in all, he's got RELEVANT experience for the job, which with hindsight Bartley simply didn't. 

This ^^^

1 hour ago, QOS5Ayr4 said:

... Also, refreshing that that's the first time in months that I've listened to a Queens manager interview all the way through without feeling pissed-off!

^^^ This.

12 hours ago, the philosopher said:

Might see the return to training in Dumfries.

Probably got his eyes on some of the Carlisle rejects released at end of season.

Benjy is almost certain to be one of the players he'll take with him.

Chapman and now Murphy moving on shows the opportunity the Annan job offers and the fact we give managers time ( never sacked an SPFL manager ( yet ! ) .

Nail on head 👍 Training back down the road with hybrid squad of full and part timers is the plan.

37 minutes ago, the tactician said:

How is it a total waste of supporters time?

If the club allowed fans to buy more shares they maybe would get a financial boost as it has shown by the trust that some supporters are willing to part with there money to help get more shares.

I don't see why people slate the trust as if its a bad thing.

Would have been good to see the tanner fund and trust work together at a time and try get supporters together but i was shocked when i read the tanner fund had finished up. Obviously must have wanted more of a say in the club finances than they were getting.

Anyway very happy with the appointment of Murphy and  looking forward to next season and will renew mine and my grandsons season tickets whenever they start selling them again. :)  

There are no shares for the club to sell. I think the point is that, financially, the club won't see any of this money. You're then into arguing whether or not the Trust holding more shares actually makes any practical sense. And by that, I mean at the levels we're talking about. Obviously if they were trying to buy 40% of the shares, that's an obvious benefit. It's less obvious what difference it makes at the levels they currently hold/are buying 

In reply to Bluenorthener - the Queens Trust currently has 1312 shares. Another 480 shares would take it to 1792. 

An increase in shares makes it easier for collaborations to reach the 5% of shares needed to raise resolutions etc.   Or by slowly adding that the Trust itself will one day reach 5%. 

No one at Queens has 40%. The largest shareholder (as of the 2023 list at companies house) is David Rae with 24% followed by then Hewitson who has been increasing his shareholding steadily over the years to now be at 9369 which is 6.2%

When the club is losing so many fans and lost over £600,000 in just 3 years then this amount would make hardly any difference if any to the team. Fans are showing that they are keen to support this.  Whilst it is not directly for the club it is for the fans of the club.

That’s what it is about. It is trying to get the supporters and club to have a stronger connection that will hopefully keep people interested and that will help increase support to keep the main money coming in via the turnstiles and sponsorships etc before we lose even more.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/queenstrustsharefundraiser?utm_term=d3P25KR5V

Meanwhile for 24/25 the Queens Trust will be already:

Queens shirt draw entry £450, hospitality package for members draw £280, men’s player sponsorship £180, ladies player sponsorship £60, ladies match sponsorship £50, club shop vouchers for competitions to promote matches £50. Sponsorship of junior blues player of the year award £50, table at player of the year £400, Donation to Community Trust £200. Plus much more….

13 minutes ago, JTulip said:

In reply to Bluenorthener - the Queens Trust currently has 1312 shares. Another 480 shares would take it to 1792. 

An increase in shares makes it easier for collaborations to reach the 5% of shares needed to raise resolutions etc.   Or by slowly adding that the Trust itself will one day reach 5%. 

No one at Queens has 40%. The largest shareholder (as of the 2023 list at companies house) is David Rae with 24% followed by then Hewitson who has been increasing his shareholding steadily over the years to now be at 9369 which is 6.2%

When the club is losing so many fans and lost over £600,000 in just 3 years then this amount would make hardly any difference if any to the team. Fans are showing that they are keen to support this.  Whilst it is not directly for the club it is for the fans of the club.

That’s what it is about. It is trying to get the supporters and club to have a stronger connection that will hopefully keep people interested and that will help increase support to keep the main money coming in via the turnstiles and sponsorships etc before we lose even more.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/queenstrustsharefundraiser?utm_term=d3P25KR5V

I get all that, and 40% was just a random number larger than 5%. 

I guess the question is, what practical difference does having 5% of the shares make? Sure, you can raise resolutions but you've no chance of getting them passed without the support of other, larger, shareholders. If they support your resolutions anyway, why not just get them to raise them? 

What's the Trust membership as a rough percentage of home crowds. It's clear some fans are keen to support this. 

I don't want to be pedantic but this isn't for "fans of the club". It's for members of the Trust 

There are around 1000 shareholders in the club. Many with low shareholding’s.
Voting tends to be done on a show of hands this was the case with the resolution we did get added to a meeting. If it was close or was requested it could then go to votes held. 

The shares are held by the Trust and the membership is open to all and can change and will change as the years go on. People join re join leave come back etc. Currently there are 115 members but a few years ago it was over 300 when the membership drive was really pushed for the whole close season. 

I rate Murphy massively as a boss. So I think that could be a very decent appointment. Not sure if it's been mentioned either, but Queens appointing a manager with very strong Carlisle ties is probably a decent move too? Especially if you aren't paying a lot for full-time football, where it could be difficult to attract central belt players.

12 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Some interesting comments.

Really good first interview (although admittedly the bar is extremely low after some of Bartley’s efforts).

You’d have to assume that any incoming manager would want some reassurances about the club before accepting the job, so on that basis I think there’s a couple of key questions answered here…

Full-time/part-time - Given Murphy’s emphasis on wanting to manage full- time football, I think this confirms that we will continue as a full-time team next season.

New Board - he mentions the new board coming in. As a friend of McLinden, I assume he’s aware of the Board situation and sought some reassurances before accepting the job, so this indicates the Board situation may be close to being resolved.

Positive to hear him talk about bringing some physicality into the squad - I know we’d all love to see Queens playing silky football like Man City or Real Madrid, but the reality of this division is that strength and speed get results. We’ve definitely lacked physical presence in all areas of the park for a number of seasons now.

Also good to hear him mention bringing the fans back in and getting a buzz back about the place! This was one of Bartley’s biggest failings, he just didn’t seem to care or think it was his job.

It’s amazing the difference a few weeks can make - I’ve gone from feeling completely despondent about the worst Queens team in a long time, to feeling positive about next season and getting behind the team.

Appreciate it’s very early days and a lot has still to happen, but nice to have some much needed hope again! 

8 minutes ago, JTulip said:

There are around 1000 shareholders in the club. Many with low shareholding’s.
Voting tends to be done on a show of hands this was the case with the resolution we did get added to a meeting. If it was close or was requested it could then go to votes held. 

The shares are held by the Trust and the membership is open to all and can change and will change as the years go on. People join re join leave come back etc. Currently there are 115 members but a few years ago it was over 300 when the membership drive was really pushed for the whole close season. 

I'm not sure the first part answers the question. That's a less detailed answer! I think we all know how voting works. The question of the importance of 5% is still questionable. As is how putting c £6000 into someone else's pocket benefits the club. 

So, if we take the maximum of 300 and say a reasonable average, if the team were doing well, should be around 1200, that's 25%. 

An admirable number but not even close to a majority. 

Feels like spending money on a minority of shares to benefit a minority of fans