The Queen of the South thread

38 minutes ago, Big Chopper said:

Talking about progress: there was a number of high vis men working on main stand late into Friday night 👏 Probably just maintenance but should have been done long long ago. 

Must be a safety inspection due, aye ...?

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's fascinating.  

I've long felt that Queens is the biggest club not to have graced the top flight in my lifetime. 

There's the proof.  

I’ve stuck my working in the spoiler, again assumes continuity of any old/new clubs. I’ve also added all the teams that have played in the top flight since 1964 whether in the current SPFL or not. So I think this is every team that has played in the top flight since 1964. 31 in total. Hope it is right.
Edited to add a new spoiler with all the teams that have not played in the top flight since 1964 whether they were in the SFL then or not.

Spoiler

Current SPFL teams that were in the SFL in 1964 (in current ranking)
Celtic
Rangers
Hearts
Kilmarnock
St.Mirren
Dundee
Motherwell
Hibs
Aberdeen
St.Johnstone
Dundee U
Raith Rovers
Partick Thistle
Airdrie
Morton
Dunfermline
Ayr
Arbroath
Falkirk
Hamilton Accies
Stirling Albion
Dumbarton
East Fife
Clyde
Teams not in SFL in 1964 and currently in SPFL
Ross County
Livingston
Inverness CT
Teams in SFL in 1964 not currently in SPFL 
Third Lanark
Cowdenbeath
Teams not in SFL in 1964 and not currently in SPFL
Clydebank
Gretna :barf

Spoiler

For completeness here’s the list of all current SPFL teams that haven’t played in the top flight in the last 60 years
Teams in SFL in 1964 (current status in brackets)
Queen’s Park (C)
Alloa (L1)
Montrose (L1)
QoS (L1)
Stenhousemuir (L2)
Forfar (L2)
Stranraer (L2)

Teams not in SFL in 1964 (current status in brackets)
Cove (L1)
Kelty (L1)
Annan (L1)
Edinburgh City (L1)
Peterhead (L2)
Spartans (L2)
Elgin (L2)
Bonnyrigg (L2)

Edited by Artemis

On 22/12/2022 at 09:04, 19QOS19 said:

Or Clyde if convicted. 

He's been with us since his teens and given a large part of his playing career to us. I did see him in the past at Palmerston watching games when he was with other clubs. I don't think he'll necessarily be a fan in the traditional sense but he'll have a strong affinity with the club. It's a really sad end to his time with us tbh and if true what was said then he only has his own stupidity to blame for it. 

Shameful comparison with a rapist ?

1 hour ago, Big Chopper said:

Talking about progress: there was a number of high vis men working on main stand late into Friday night 👏 Probably just maintenance but should have been done long long ago. 

They're dismantling it, one plank at a time and moving it two inches to the left. 

Surprised your best friend didn't tell you 

5 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Shameful comparison with a rapist ?

Scrolling back almost two years to try and fail to make a point is impressive. I'll ask again - what personal abuse? 

6 hours ago, Mon_The_South said:

100% correct with the revenue related requirements of Queens/Small FT Clubs.  When you are full time, loosing £200-300k a year back to back, I really look forward to seeing what Mr McLinden's plans are and how he a) plans to bring the fans back in their droves and b) plans to build on the commercial side of the business. 

I am of the opinion that at our level of Scottish Football, having a Chair/Board/Individual pumping cash into the club is anything but beneficial in the long run.  The key to not just our long term success, but survival is bringing the fans back through the gates.  I believe that Murphy's style of football (as long as he gets the right players) will bring some results and in turn some fans back.  How the board conduct themselves/who they are etc plays a very significant part of that also and why this reshuffling of the board room pack is as important as the results/type of football. 

We, as fans need to feel embraced, valued and heard and I believe that Mr McLinden made an error not chatting further with the local businessmen that would have enabled that fan-boardroom connection.

You made the same point the other day, or maybe it was a different poster, hard to keep track. 

I think you are massively over playing the importance of the relationship between the fans and the board on attendances. Only the hardcore minority want that level of involvement and engagement without the board and most of them will turn up anyway. 

The floating fans just want a winning team and a decent match day experience 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

If he can invest in a power washer and get someone to hose down the bird shit every week I'd be delighted. 

I can put up with that if we have a league winning team. Let’s focus cash on that first and centre. 

2 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

You made the same point the other day, or maybe it was a different poster, hard to keep track. 

I think you are massively over playing the importance of the relationship between the fans and the board on attendances. Only the hardcore minority want that level of involvement and engagement without the board and most of them will turn up anyway. 

Yup. For me just straight forward news and highlights are enough. We are dreadful at that. 

5 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

I can put up with that if we have a league winning team. Let’s focus cash on that first and centre. 

The two things really shouldn't be mutually exclusive. 

On 11/05/2024 at 09:42, qos1990 said:

Garrity in discussions with Morton, he’s one I was hoping for but can’t see it now 

I'm not convinced Garrity will sign.

He's at an age where he will want to play every week and I dont think Imrie can promise that.

He's well liked at Morton but if he has a few offers from League 1 where he will probably play week in week out, he might consider it rather than on the bench every week in the Championship.

Only issue will be compensation I guess.

I'd like him to stay but wouldn't be surprised if he moves on.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

The two things really shouldn't be mutually exclusive. 

True but if we are cash strapped as we are likely to be this season a winning team will generate more cash than stadium maintenance. We desperately need to generate some excitement and positivity after 3 awful seasons. The only game I really enjoyed this season was the Dundee United game ( that was only really due to a world class display by Stone). 

1 hour ago, Big Chopper said:

Don’t know but good something happening I suppose 

Ooooh you are a tease ... 😏

12 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

Na would definitely have been me commenting as I'm like a broken record on this one :) ......

I'm not for one minute suggesting that its ok if we have a crap set of results but a friendly board... I'm saying the two go hand in hand to maximise the gate receipts massively... You have surely seen the amount of fans that have through the years said they won't be back until the departing chairman has left?? It is a time for the club to maximise the excitement of the new boards arrival, JM hopefully has another whack of directors ready to announce and build that excitement up.  I think Peter Murphy's arrival is a very good one... a safe one... but very good in our rebuild. 

I await some more Carlisle based directors soon to join Mr McLinden and we are set to be mini Carlisle and their feeding club... Murphy does well here and his next club is odds on to be Carlisle so you can see where the dots are joining up. That in itself wouldn't genuinely bother me if we get the benefit of it at all, as long as we keep our identity.

Mon the South

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

QOS becoming a mini Carlisle? They've just been relegated so perhaps not. 

Still a much bigger club than us...... circa 7500 average gate etc. 

Carlisle's population is around double (just over) the size of Dumfries and looking at the CEO's monthly update for March their vision, ongoing work and stats are impressive (less their relegation of course).  If the Carlisle connection was to be believe then their business acumen would be welcomed..... 

Edited by Mon_The_South

2 hours ago, BeeJay said:

QOS becoming a mini Carlisle? They've just been relegated so perhaps not. 

Carlisle have new American owners who are investing millions.

Expect Carlisle with the budget they will now have to be close to winning the League if we could somehow tap into that with loan players etc they it will be all good .

Massive summer ahead we need to get a new board appointed quickly. 

We seem to be staying full time but most important of all will Murphy have a competitive budget more than Bartley as at the end of the day that is what it is all about .

I like to think Murphy would not have taken the job if not assured of a good budget as if he has less to work with than Bartley he has a impossible job .

7 hours ago, Mon_The_South said:

Na would definitely have been me commenting as I'm like a broken record on this one :) ......

I'm not for one minute suggesting that its ok if we have a crap set of results but a friendly board... I'm saying the two go hand in hand to maximise the gate receipts massively... You have surely seen the amount of fans that have through the years said they won't be back until the departing chairman has left?? It is a time for the club to maximise the excitement of the new boards arrival, JM hopefully has another whack of directors ready to announce and build that excitement up.  I think Peter Murphy's arrival is a very good one... a safe one... but very good in our rebuild. 

I await some more Carlisle based directors soon to join Mr McLinden and we are set to be mini Carlisle and their feeding club... Murphy does well here and his next club is odds on to be Carlisle so you can see where the dots are joining up. That in itself wouldn't genuinely bother me if we get the benefit of it at all, as long as we keep our identity.

Mon the South

Yes, I've seen a handful of fans say they wouldn't be back until the chairman was gone. There is no way there are a significant number of fans out there just waiting until the day Billy leaves the club so they can come back. 

New board members don't particularly generate excitement, unless you get taken over by a middle Eastern oil family. You don't happen to know anyone that works out there do you? New Managers and, more so, new players generate excitement. I know the club have been trying to get season tickets out after Murphy was announced last week. 

There's a fundamental difference between supporting the club and supporting the team.

Those that support the club are interested in who's on the board, what the comms are like etc as well as the performances on the pitch. But the core of those people will attend games, pretty much, no matter what. We're lucky that we have an amazing core of fans who travel all over and who cared enough to put their hands in their pockets when times were tough and to volunteer now, or just to generally care and actively want to see the club succeed. These fans are vital and the relationship between them and the club, including board, staff, manager, players, is really important to the club. However, it's not going to make much difference to the crowds in the short term. 

Those that support the team, generally, couldn't care who's on the board or how many Q&As they have with the fans. They want a team that's either winning or exciting to watch (or both!) and involved in meaningful games. They also want a good "experience" dealing with the club. Whether that's buying tickets, state of the ground, catering etc. 

The trick for all football clubs is to get as many "team" supporters in the ground and then turn them into "club" supporters. While, at the same time, maintain and improving the relationship with the existing "club" supporters. 

3 hours ago, Greenacres said:

We seem to be staying full time but most important of all will Murphy have a competitive budget more than Bartley as at the end of the day that is what it is all about .

I like to think Murphy would not have taken the job if not assured of a good budget as if he has less to work with than Bartley he has a impossible job .

Bartley had a competitive budget. He didn't fail due to a lack of backing.