The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

Random thought but I don’t remember queens having any midweek games last season. Is that right? 

No, we played mid-week in the cup at the start of the season.

1 minute ago, Riviera711 said:

You read like Greenacres but with punctuation 😂

Sorry to disappoint you but I have no idea who Greenacres is. Spellcheck is a curse and has been to blame for many of my near unintelligible posts. 

5 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Good sentiment. One point. He uses ‘I’ over 40 times ( although reverts a bit more to ‘we’ later) and it makes me edgy that we run the risk of being too centred around 1 individuals view ( who would appear to be a Hamilton, Carlisle, Annan fan). I think it’s really important that we have a skillful, balanced and ideally well off board with the collective wish to deliver on the laudable sentiments expressed in this piece. He does deserve credit for at least communicating with us. Good luck to the board and new manager. Let’s hope that these wishes are borne out on the pitch as we absolutely need to get back to being at least a well respected Championship side. 

He can't really say "We" when it's only him though, can he? 

3 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Sorry to disappoint you but I have no idea who Greenacres is. Spellcheck is a curse and has been to blame for many of my near unintelligible posts. 

He's the most negative fan our thread who sees the downside to every single situation. There's no way you've failed to notice his tedious shite at the start of almost every match thread throughout the season. 

Very interesting times ahead. 

Murphy has shown this season he can get the best out of players and you only need to compare Kilsby and McIntyre. Both got rave reviews playing for him at Annan yet were really found wanting for us playing under Bartley. 

Hopefully a few gems will be picked up at the "exit trials " at the end of May and Murphy can use his contacts to also bring a few others in.

Everything the new director says all sounds good but out of all he said a reduction in budget is a massive worry .

It is going to make it very difficult for Murphy to get a squad good enough to challenge at the top of the table .

Fine saying he wants quality players but they don't come cheap . 

1 minute ago, Greenacres said:

Everything the new director says all sounds good but out of all he said a reduction in budget is a massive worry .

It is going to make it very difficult for Murphy to get a squad good enough to challenge at the top of the table .

Fine saying he wants quality players but they don't come cheap . 

Well, yes ... but it just means that Murphy has to use his budget wisely ... something Bartley couldn't do. Murphy knows and accepted the cards he's been dealt.

All this about youths obviously we need to use them more just a word of warning though he got involved in all this because of his boy. Tie in with Carlisle back room staff instead of paying fees for rehab etc up the road shared training facilities can't be bad just got to watch we aren't forced to sign there reserves as loans and play to many

It's interesting regarding all the chat of, potentially, a closer tie in with Carlisle United. Some posters on this thread should be very excited because Utd were a big physical, fairly route one team - a lot of good it did them this season. For anyone who never seen them play, they were a truly awful watch.

For the sake of clarity, I quite agree that Queens need to be stronger and more combative. However, those qualities don't necessarily correlate with big. The problem a lot of teams have when playing a big man up front is that the game plan generally revolves around lumping the ball up to him e.g. when we had the young lad on loan from Kilmarnock a couple of seasons ago.

Yes, we do need some strong, combative, gritty, tenacious etc types but they don't have to be giants.

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Key points for me are: that the club ... "does not work in League One, financially or otherwise" ... and ... "There must be a reduction in budget because we cannot keep on losing large sums of money every year" ... so that ... "we are looking at the range of 20 players for next season" ...

Do you read this as 20 "quality" experienced pro's, or 20 first team players which includes the players from the youths?

Just now, QoS99 said:

Do you read this as 20 "quality" experienced pro's, or 20 first team players which includes the players from the youths?

The former (I hope!).

3 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

The former (I hope!).

Same. I think 14 experienced players with the rest coming from the youths is unrealistic. Would rather 18/19 with the rest coming from up from the reserves.

1 minute ago, macclyde+ said:

Jordan Houston guys ?

Signed for us tonight, see he played a few games for you, any good ?

I liked him. Another one of Bartley's bizarre decisions was never giving him much of a chance. I don't think that he ever got a run of games after early in the season.

Isn't it amazing how a simple update on what's going on at the club can instill some positivity?  In recent years it seemed like the only time the outgoing board members would pop their heads above the parapets was when they made a hamfisted apology for a cock-up of their own making.  Lots of questions have been asked - on this forum, at least - since Mr McLinden joined the board and he seems to have addressed most of those in his statement.  Maybe he is a P&B lurker? 🤣 

We'll see if the openness continues if and when things go pear-shaped, but it's a promising start.  At least he sounds welcoming, unlike the current board who (maybe unintentionally) gave the impression that the fans were a bit of a nuisance to them.

Good to see Dan Armstrong getting recognition to, although I have to be honest and admit I have no idea what his role as CEO means or involves 😆

Regarding the squad size, I'm guessing that last season we were the only club in the league to name nine subs in every game?  I think on a matchday we could probably get away with a named squad of around 17 players, so, allowing for injury and suspensions I would hope that the 20 man squad would contain said number (17 or so) of players who the manager would be wanting to be pressing for regular starts with say four or five youngsters as back up who would still get some gametime to be blooded properly.  Bartley seemed to give the impression that he wanted to develop young players, but not ours it would appear.  Currie, Ross & Burns got what, 5 minutes gametime between them last season?  I can't recall Kennedy featuring at all.  If these boys can be gradually introduced to the full team rather than just getting a place on the bench that can only be good for them as individuals and the club as a whole.

I have my own thoughts on the budget, but I'll wait to see Greenacres' comparison as to how it compares to our rivals before revealing them!

16 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Well, on first reading, I did think he was talking about 20 players in total.  However, to remind everyone, below is the exact transcript from the OS ...

In terms of the squad, we are not aiming to have as big a squad as last year 29 players was just too many. There must be a reduction in budget because we cannot keep on losing large sums of money every year, so we are looking at a mix of quality players and some of the younger boys. We have a great crop of young players at the club, and we need to be using them and bringing them through, they are the lifeblood of clubs, with that in mind, we are looking at the range of 20 players for next season

So, I'm happy to hear others interpretations of the statement - on a second reading it does again seem to infer a total first team squad of only 20, although the use of the word "range" seems a bit odd and maybe open to interpretation.

4 minutes ago, macclyde+ said:

Jordan Houston guys ?

Signed for us tonight, see he played a few games for you, any good ?

Injured for more than half of the season, singled out as a scapegoat by Bartley more often than not when he did play - as were most of the defenders at some point to be fair.

I thought he was decent enough, probably a better option than our regular RWB/RB Logan, but didn't get a fair crack of the whip.  I'm surprised he's dropped a division, he'll be a good acquisition (fitness permitting) for League Two.

Did I miss it within the statement but has it been confirmed whether we are fully full time or going for a hybrid model next season?