The Queen of the South thread

Magic and Sandy Clark have been offered the kilmarnock jobs. Hope they have the sense to turn it down. Bad timing as our players are due back pre season today. If they leave Queens should give the compensation straight to alloa for Paul Hartley

Any proof or just rumour?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Doe he? Frankly, I cant think of many managers Id rather have less than Shiels

Shiels would do a TERRIFIC job at QOS. Believe me.

Have to agree that the overall feeling that he is even considering this move is one of disappointment.

Magic (along with Sandy of course) has been terrific for us and he does seem to be setting his sights rather low by considering this job.

I could honestly see us becoming another Inverness CT or Ross County or St Johnstone if we could keep this management team and squad together (obviously adding more quality to the playing staff as and when we can) and all of those clubs are better run and in a better league position than Kilmarnock. If he gets us up to that sort of level then I would thank him & wish him all the best when the really good jobs were offered to him (i'm thinking of clubs with big supports like Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts).

We gave him his first chance at a manager's job and I think that probably entitles us to expect him to stay more than a single season. He's also persuaded 15 or 16 guys to sign for him for another season on the promise of having a real go in the first division and I'm sure he was also consulted over the decision whether or not to go from grass to plastic, so to lose him now before even having a go at the first division would be really disappointing.

I know that football management is a precarious business, but if he believes in his own ability then why the rush to leave? He could achieve lots more where he is before finally moving on.

There's so much wrong with the above, I'm not sure where to start.

Queens pre season starts this week. A decision needs to made quickly so the players have some leadership.

Worst possible start to season. Also compensation should be min buying up management teams contracts.

Also I can't understand why season tickets are not being sold yet apart from junior blues.

If Allan Johnston has been offered the job, and there is as yet no official confirmation of this, then he has a difficult decision to make. As well as the much publicised debt that Kilmarnock are holding there is considerable doubt about the future ownership and direction of the club.

It looks like Michael Johnston is almost universally unpopular at the club and his unpopularity has been reinforced by the sacking of a very popular manager.

This must be a very uncomfortable position for any Chairman/club owner to be in.

The situation for M. Johnston has been made worse by the almost unanimous vote of no confidence in his regime by major sponsors.

If MJ is ousted then it would come as no surprise if Shiels was reappointed. This is why Shiels has remained at about third favourite in the betting stakes to be the next manager.

If AJ is appointed then Queens could do a lot worse than appoint Kenny Shiels as his replacement.

Edited by MacWatt

If Allan Johnston has been offered the job, and there is as yet no official confirmation of this, then he has a difficult decision to make. As well as the much publicised debt that Kilmarnock are holding there is considerable doubt about the future ownership and direction of the club.

It looks like Michael Johnston is almost universally unpopular at the club and his unpopularity has been reinforced by the sacking of a very popular manager.

This must be a very uncomfortable position for any Chairman/club owner to be in.

The situation for M. Johnston has been made worse by the almost unanimous vote of no confidence in his regime by major sponsors.

If MJ is ousted then it would come as no surprise if Shiels was reappointed. This is why Shiels has remained at about third favourite in the betting stakes to be the next manager.

If AJ is appointed then Queens could do a lot worse than appoint Kenny Shiels as his replacement.

I think Kenny would do a great job at Queens!

Also I can't understand why season tickets are not being sold yet apart from junior blues.

Don't think Junior Blues are being sold either. They are possibly taking paid order forms in for them since pricing for those won't change but tickets themselves have not been printed yet. The uncertainty of league reconstruction has inevitably delayed final decisions on price and the printing of tickets. We still don't know the name of the actual league we'll be playing in unless I've missed an announcement somewhere.

Don't think Junior Blues are being sold either. They are possibly taking paid order forms in for them since pricing for those won't change but tickets themselves have not been printed yet.

Yeah they are, I paid for two at the end of May.

Was told they'd be posted out a couple of weeks before the season starts.

Guest Flash

Billy Reid would be like Gus II - just when you thought it was safe....

First question at the interview should be "Have you ever played 4-5-1?" If the answer is "Yes" the reply should be "Next please".

Billy Reid would be like Gus II - just when you thought it was safe....

First question at the interview should be "Have you ever played 4-5-1?" If the answer is "Yes" the reply should be "Next please".

That would rule out most top managers/coaches around the world.

Guest Flash

That would rule out most top managers/coaches around the world.

I'll rephrase it then - have you ever played the negative, pishy, shitebag 4-5-1 where none of the 5 ever get forward to support the lone striker and he remains just that for the full 90 minutes even against the shittiest teams in the division that are there for the taking?

I'll rephrase it then - have you ever played the negative, pishy, shitebag 4-5-1 where none of the 5 ever get forward to support the lone striker and he remains just that for the full 90 minutes even against the shittiest teams in the division that are there for the taking?

Oooft I hate interview questions like that.

Everyone was glad to see the back of McPherson. I've not seen enough of Accies to judge how Billy Reid set his team up each week, but he did take them to the SPL and brought on players like McCarthy and McArthur. He did this with a team with similar if not inferior resources to Queens. So he's actually proven at this level.

I would have thought that Kenny shiels would think he could do better than Queens, Billy Reid If he got back to the way Hamilton played before they got promoted would be good. Mcglynn is pish and Brian Reid equally.

Jim McIntyre anyone?

No chance re Shiels.... You got to think of location of Dumfries regarding managers of QOS. Outside Gus it I think it has usually been local or ex local lads, Gus I'm sure was out the game for a while and wouldve took most jobs in Scotland having been off the radar and thankfully is back there

I think best you can do is yogi or similar retiring player type ala Jonston. McCall surely won't be back an you wouldn't want a Billy reid or rowan Alexander....

What's Stevie Tosh up to ?

Outside Gus it I think it has usually been local or ex local lads,

What?

McCall was from here originally but lived in Glasgow. Otherwise, you'd need to go back to Alexander to find anyone vaguely 'local'.

What is it with certain Central Belt types and their belief that Dumfries is nudging up against the South Pole?