The Queen of the South thread

Not for match days, which is what I was getting at.......

Its fair to say from all the comments of QoS and Falkirk fans re Chris Mitchell that he was a far better player for us than them. In the same way that I personally say Steven Simmons was one or the worst waste of spaces I have ever seen , Alloa fans back him to the hilt.

You having a laugh, that can't be right?

Sadly no I'm not having a laugh.

Just to clarify, I am referring to the lads in the 20's squad and not the lads from the 1st team squad that play for the 20's.

There has been a lot of good press recently about how things are looking up for Queens and a lot of positivity about the youth academy at the king George V, but no mention of the financial hardships these lads at the 20's are put under, how can any 17-19 year old be expected to live of £10 a week? I personally think it's time Queens had a look at the current situation and work out how it can be rectified.

Sadly no I'm not having a laugh.

Just to clarify, I am referring to the lads in the 20's squad and not the lads from the 1st team squad that play for the 20's.

There has been a lot of good press recently about how things are looking up for Queens and a lot of positivity about the youth academy at the king George V, but no mention of the financial hardships these lads at the 20's are put under, how can any 17-19 year old be expected to live of £10 a week? I personally think it's time Queens had a look at the current situation and work out how it can be rectified.

Don't think the players you mention could be classed as full time and they are silly if they don't have a part time job along side this. £10 a week if true is fairly shameful but would you prefer we hand these boys £100 quid a week and eat into our senior player budget ?

Don't think the players you mention could be classed as full time and they are silly if they don't have a part time job along side this. £10 a week if true is fairly shameful but would you prefer we hand these boys £100 quid a week and eat into our senior player budget ?

We should at least be paying them the apprentices minimum wage (I presume they are classed as apprentices).

Minimum wage for the youths, I'm sure they'd love that, at the moment the lads in the u20's get £10 a week and are full time. Really don't know how Queens get way with that and dissapointed that they think that its acceptable.

A tenner a week is shocking if true .

It's such a shame that these young lads are underpaid whilst a couple of other employees are overpaid IMO

Edited by the_vortex

TBH it's not just the U20's who receive such low 'wages'. I know an ex-first teamer who left because he was getting not much more than what's been mentioned. I was pretty shocked when I found out. The guy certainly wasn't a regular but he was in the squad.

We should at least be paying them the apprentices minimum wage (I presume they are classed as apprentices).

Surely they've got to be at least on the minimum wage otherwise it's illegal is it not?

Its fair to say from all the comments of QoS and Falkirk fans re Chris Mitchell that he was a far better player for us than them. In the same way that I personally say Steven Simmons was one or the worst waste of spaces I have ever seen , Alloa fans back him to the hilt.

Sometimes a club fits a player better for some reason. I do think in Mitchells case its more of a level, he can compete but not consistently over a full season at this level and at SPL he was the invisible full back.

Find your post a bit distasteful if I'm honest, there are lads in the 20's squad that have left school and have signed full time contracts with Queens and for that they get £10 a week, as well as training and playing they also are asked to do "duties" at home games and clean the stadium after home games yet you don't think they can be classed as full time?????????

Then you have the cheek to refer to them as being silly for not having a part time job. You obviously have no idea of how the 20's operate, training and match days can vary each week and it's the norm for the lads to get a text the night before to tell them they're playing or training. Try holding down a job in those circumstances.

As for your last sentence... I don't know what they should get but I do know what they get is embarrassing. It looks like you're okay with what they get as long as it doesn't effect the budget of the 1st team, surely everybody deserves a decent wage?

Find your post a bit distasteful if I'm honest, there are lads in the 20's squad that have left school and have signed full time contracts with Queens and for that they get £10 a week, as well as training and playing they also are asked to do "duties" at home games and clean the stadium after home games yet you don't think they can be classed as full time?????????

Then you have the cheek to refer to them as being silly for not having a part time job. You obviously have no idea of how the 20's operate, training and match days can vary each week and it's the norm for the lads to get a text the night before to tell them they're playing or training. Try holding down a job in those circumstances.

As for your last sentence... I don't know what they should get but I do know what they get is embarrassing. It looks like you're okay with what they get as long as it doesn't effect the budget of the 1st team, surely everybody deserves a decent wage?

So which one is your boy ? Edited by Broony88

Nobody has forced them to go down this career path, if they don't want to pursue football as a career and don't have enough money to live I'm sure queens will stand aside and allow them to leave. This is scottish football we don't have a Barcelona type budget to give these youngsters a fantastic wage, I agree if true £10 is shameful but a club with our budget it is what has been signed and AGREED by the player. If they didn't want it they could have signed elsewhere.

Edited by Broony88

Do I need to have a boy there to have an opinion?

No but to have an overly biased one. A contract is a two way thing as I'm sure your aware, these boys have signed it knowing their duties and like I said if they are now disillusioned with football at this level in Scotland I'm sure queens will tear up their contract they can get a job and play for the Crichton.

No but to have an overly biased one. A contract is a two way thing as I'm sure your aware, these boys have signed it knowing their duties and like I said if they are now disillusioned with football at this level in Scotland I'm sure queens will tear up their contract they can get a job and play for the Crichton.

Wouldn't say I have an overly biased opinion, things have been asked/said on this thread and I've replied to them as honestly as I can, what more can I do?

A tenner a week is shocking if true .

It's such a shame that these young lads are underpaid whilst a couple of other employees are overpaid IMO.

Name names rather than having sly digs at those not in a position to respond.