The Queen of the South thread

Have to agree to disagree, he is by no stretch of the imagination 'brutal' given the state of some of the players who flitted through clubs at this level.

You guys might not want him, and obviously Raith don't either - but for all that he was pretty good for us in his first season, scored a dozen goals which is a solid enough return, was a fantastic link up player, good with the ball at his feet and when he was in the mood, an utter battering ram. Moany c**t, right enough.

Second season, he was basically a spectator. He'll need to take a step down to try and get himself back on track.

Having players on your books like Callum Elliot is the reason raith have been nowhere near the play offs the last couple years. A complete passenger.

Although i fully expected us to lose all the players that are departing when you take stock of where the squad is at the moment we are probably on a par with Dumbarton, Alloa, Raith and Morton. Clearly the hope is that we should be seen as an attractive option for progressive Championship players but at the end of the day we now need to be ruthless and sign players from lower status clubs in exactly the same way tha the vultures have circled Palmerston.

Dont get me wrong I dont begrudge any of the players their moves - for me Danny and Gavin have done best so far. Think McShane has made a mistake in his choice and Holty deserved a move to England League 1.

Squad has been ravaged and we now face a massive rebuild - we need the likes of Smith and Hooper to push on and I hear that the young centre back is very promising. jake Pickard has appeared a few times from the bench but to date hasnt offered anything that suggests a big entrance this season but hopefully he is just waiting to take his chance.

Some big signings required with some good young players required to balance the age profile.

Will be interested to see what compensation we receive as we need to see a return for our youth investment.

Just glad that Danny didn't end up at Rangers. Thought he was can entertaining player to watch and would have liked him for another season. Not sure how good a move it is for Gavin, know a lot will disagree but he might struggle to get a regular start. McShane moving to Ross is an astute move in that he should get plenty of game time and good experience at a higher level.

If Reilly has gone (and I wish him every success apart from when he plays QoS) does that mean that we've also lost Charlie?

Adieu "Mrs Reilly" it was fun whilst it lasted :P

Charlie will be high as a kite with Danny going to Hibs.

Although i fully expected us to lose all the players that are departing when you take stock of where the squad is at the moment we are probably on a par with Dumbarton, Alloa, Raith and Morton. Clearly the hope is that we should be seen as an attractive option for progressive Championship players but at the end of the day we now need to be ruthless and sign players from lower status clubs in exactly the same way tha the vultures have circled Palmerston.

Dont get me wrong I dont begrudge any of the players their moves - for me Danny and Gavin have done best so far. Think McShane has made a mistake in his choice and Holty deserved a move to England League 1.

Squad has been ravaged and we now face a massive rebuild - we need the likes of Smith and Hooper to push on and I hear that the young centre back is very promising. jake Pickard has appeared a few times from the bench but to date hasnt offered anything that suggests a big entrance this season but hopefully he is just waiting to take his chance.

Some big signings required with some good young players required to balance the age profile.

Will be interested to see what compensation we receive as we need to see a return for our youth investment.

rjc sorry for coming in on this conversation from left field. Who is the young centre back you refer to?

I didn't necessarily think we'd lose so many, but it's happening.

In each case, I'm pleased for the player, but there's now a rebuilding job required.

It's funny: this time last year, I'd have put Durnan at the front of any queue of likely departures. He might well still go of course, but it's interesting that he seems now to be less sought after than a few others have proved to be.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

rjc sorry for coming in on this conversation from left field. Who is the young centre back you refer to?

Hooper

I didn't necessarily think we'd lose so many, but it's happening.

In each case, I'm pleased for the player, but there's now a rebuilding job required.

It's funny: this time last year, I'd have put Durnan at the front of any queue of likely departures. He might well still go of course, but it's interesting that he seems now to be less sought after than a few others have proved to be.

It's tough to watch the team being torn apart. I think Durnan's last few months will have put some off as he hasn't been himself since the St Johnstone game really.

My concern is that there doesn't even seem to be any rumours flying around, usually we hear something.

This is where I am worried about having a young novice manager. I'm hoping it will not be a case of looking after yer old mates, I don't even rate Killie first team players over what we had. An experienced assistant is now an urgency if we are to avoid the play-offs next season. And yes, I'm worried too with no real gossip regarding any players coming in.

Sad to see Carmichael leave but it was always going to happen one day . He's had some memorable games over the years and must of been a nightmare to play against when in full swing .

I wish him all the luck in the world .

This is where I am worried about having a young novice manager. I'm hoping it will not be a case of looking after yer old mates, I don't even rate Killie first team players over what we had. An experienced assistant is now an urgency if we are to avoid the play-offs next season. And yes, I'm worried too with no real gossip regarding any players coming in.

Avoid the play offs??? Behave Edited by QosLoyal

Weve lost a lot of first team players and quite a bit of a spine of team. This summer's hires will be critical as it will take a while for the new signings to get to know how to play with each other. Thats something that the continuty last year gave us. I hope were not accepting 25k for McShane - tribunals for the rest if were being offered 10k for Holt etc. Othewise we will lose one of the most promising teams in recent years for next to nothing. I think we may have mid table mediocrity as we start slowly with a new team

All good moves financially for the players I'm sure.

They will only be good moves career wise in hindsight if they get regular football.

They could have done a Kerr/Baird and manipulated a move but they've been professional so all the best to them.

All good moves financially for the players I'm sure.

They will only be good moves career wise in hindsight if they get regular football.

They could have done a Kerr/Baird and manipulated a move but they've been professional so all the best to them.

To add to your first sentence, it's security as well 2-3 year deals compared to a 1 year Queens extension. All these players should have been signed up long term last season we we could already see the potential they had.

Although I agree it would be good to see us offering longer term contracts, you have to remember it is a two way thing. Who is to know if the likes of Holt would have signed a 2 or 3 year contract with us had it been offered? I very much doubt Dundee would have been willing to pay a large enough fee to buy him out of such a contract, so he would be tied to us on a lower wage, playing at a lower level than what he will now be with Dundee. Great for us, not so for him. I'd imagine the agents of a lot of our young players probably recommend them signing short-term deals with us, clearing the path for a move to a bigger club, and bigger wages, and therefore a bigger cut for their "Mr 15%".

I'm more disappointed that we haven't rewarded our club captain, and our player of the year with longer deals. Dowie and Higgins could potentially be seeing out their careers with us, and if they do make any moves it is more likely to be down rather than up. Both have just completed magnificent seasons and will be vital in integrating any new signings. A longer contract isn't going to benefit us financially, but it would reward two impressive employees for the important roles that they play.

Again though, who is to say that they would want to be tied to Queens for that length of time? Also if having a policy of only giving short term deals to older players is good enough for the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea then it is probably good enough for us as well!