The Queen of the South thread

Thought you guys would be interested in this, sorry originally put it in the wrong thread.

Draw for the qtrs of the 19's cup

Livi v Dundee Utd

St Mirren v Stenny

Queen Of South v Ayr / Inverness

Aberdeen v Celtic / Dunfermline

Games played 12th Feb 2012

I think our lads have a good chance of winning this. One of our youngsters, Thomas Reilly, oozes class and strolls through every game (he's only just turned 17 too), and played extremely well yesterday despite only playing for Albion Rovers on Saturday!

If Gus MacPherson is going to use his contacts, then he should get on the phone and take Thomas Reilly on loan when his loan spell ends this month. I think he'll take the SPL by storm in the next couple of years.

Maybe Gus spotted his talent when he was in the U17s setup but then again, Gus tried to release Kenny McLean <_<

Edited by Jobby

I'm not sure I'm much of a fan of changing formation every match, to suit playing against the opposition. What Gus has done recently, from what I read here, is a bit extreme.

That's not to say that one shouldn't tweak their tactics to approach the new opposition. Playing the same bog-standard way in every match would end up being possibly detrimental, because other teams would find you out.

However, there's a school of thought that continuity is advantageous. County have essentially played the same team and formation since September and won all their matches, but there have been minor tweaks to the set-up (and reactionary changes during the match) that have helped them.

3-5-2 and its variations aren't too much of a problem in the First Division, because a lot of teams play 4-4-2, like Dundee. It's the way that the formation is used that is crucial. From the QoSTV highlights, Queens looked horrible in defence.

I had hoped I wouldntt go Alan Hansen, but I couldn't help myself!

qosj.jpg

The shape to the whole QoS team is all over the place in this pic. The back three should allow two markers (against Dundee's two centre-forwards) and a free man to attack the ball. I've given McKenna (4) a green line there as if he's a centre-back, but surely he was defensive centre-mid? In which case Higgins would be the left-sided centre-back facing Irvine on the ball at the left of the box. If that's the case:

1. There's way too much space among the centre-backs.
  2. McKenna shouldn't have to go into the box and feel he has to attack the ball, rather he ought to be able to concentrate on tracking Riley (7). Reid is almost hiding next to Black. He shouldn't be so deep, even if he's the 'spare man' at the back.
  3. With the huge gap in the middle of the box, Black at right-centre-back goes to attack it. He misses it, because McKenna also attacks the ball out of position and only makes a poor contact. Milne finds himself un-marked at the far post, because Black attacked the ball, and the ball falls to Milne to shoot and Hyde scores from the miss-hit. Carmichael (11) desparately tried to pass on Milne to Black, but Black had too much else on his mind. (What's with Carmichael playing wing-back, by the way? SD assured me pre-season that he was a forward and that him being used at wing-back against County last season was an anomaly.)

That goal might have been a one-off, but the amount of things that are wrong to the team suggest that the organisation by the manager isn't there at the moment. That could be down to changing formations so often, especially between a back three and a back four. I didn't rate Queens under Kenny Brannigan because of their style, but that goal would never have happened as it did last season, because the defenders knew what they were meant to be doing.

I'll give you your thread back. :osama:

Edited by bunglebonce

I'm not sure I'm much of a fan of changing formation every match, to suit playing against the opposition. What Gus has done recently, from what I read here, is a bit extreme.

That's not to say that one shouldn't tweak their tactics to approach the new opposition. Playing the same bog-standard way in every match would end up being possibly detrimental, because other teams would find you out.

However, there's a school of thought that continuity is advantageous. County have essentially played the same team and formation since September and won all their matches, but there have been minor tweaks to the set-up (and reactionary changes during the match) that have helped them.

3-5-2 and its variations aren't too much of a problem in the First Division, because a lot of teams play 4-4-2, like Dundee. It's the way that the formation is used that is crucial. From the QoSTV highlights, Queens looked horrible in defence.

qosj.jpg

The shape to the whole QoS team is all over the place in this pic. The back three should allow two markers (against Dundee's two centre-forwards) and a free man to attack the ball. I've given McKenna (4) a green line there as if he's a centre-back, but surely he was defensive centre-mid? In which case Higgins would be the left-sided centre-back facing Irvine on the ball at the left of the box. If that's the case:

2. McKenna shouldn't have to go into the box and feel he has to attack the ball, rather he ought to be able to concentrate on tracking Riley (7). Reid is almost hiding next to Black. He shouldn't be so deep, even if he's the 'spare man' at the back.
  3. With the huge gap in the middle of the box, Black at right-centre-back goes to attack it. He misses it, because McKenna also attacks the ball out of position and only makes a poor contact. Milne finds himself un-marked at the far post, because Black attacked the ball, and the ball falls to Milne to shoot and Hyde scores from the miss-hit. Carmichael (11) desparately tried to pass on Milne to Black, but Black had too much else on his mind. (What's with Carmichael playing wing-back, by the way? SD assured me pre-season that he was a forward and that him being used at wing-back against County last season was an anomaly.)

That goal might have been a one-off, but the amount of things that are wrong to the team suggest that the organisation by the manager isn't there at the moment. That could be down to changing formations so often, especially between a back three and a back four. I didn't rate Queens under Kenny Brannigan because of their style, but that goal would never have happened as it did last season, because the defenders knew what they were meant to be doing.

Please forward the above post to:

The manager,

QOSFC,

Palmerston Park,

Dumfries.

Difficult to disagree with what you say. We were an absolute shambles until we changed to a back 4 on saturday. It really says something when we looked better with a back 4 and 10 men than we did with a back 3 and 11 men.

If he should speak, and he is not obliged to do so I expect him to thank those who are supporting the Club in any way and ignore those who are a hinderance or those who continually snipe and moan, and who should really be managing SPL or EPL Teams given their knowledge and undoubted abilities, (In Their Own Heads Anyways).

I wonder if he will show concern over being undermined from within, with the internet forum being an easy place to attack and stay hidden. If this were found to be the case and he had proof for the Club, how Would and Should, the Club act.

I believe Gus will speak and with honesty and integrity and No fear. He will tell us how it is from his perspective with the means he has at his disposal and what he hopes to achieve given what he has at his disposal. I guess like us all he will be disappointed with the first third of the season but will not duck responsibility for the results and will pledge to do his utmost to improve things.

I wonder, should the fans maybe take a reality check ??? the manager is working on a way reduced budget with a late put together squad, that needed time to get used to one another and only now all getting to full fitness and match sharpness, perhaps from now would be the time to start making judgements on a like for like basis.

I would bet there is more chance of The Trust getting thanks from the Board for their efforts, and offered a place at The Big Table, or Mr Wallace (whoever he is) to give the Trust a donation of £1000 for Non QOS Direct Activities, than there is for any of the Snipers to better Gus, they may have the Balls to ask a question at the AGM will they have the Brains to win the argument or the Guts to even argue ???

No-one doubts that we have a reduced squad and one which in some cases a bit limited in ability.

That makes it all the more surprising that Gus has constantly chopped and changed his formations and asked players to fit in to roles they are not capable of playing.

He's like some kind of alchemist looking for a magic elixir which just doesn't exist.

We would have been in a much better position to date if he had stuck to a settled formation which suited the limited abilities of the players he has rather than one which suits players he would like to have.

I can, pretty much, guarantee Gus neither reads forums or pays any attention to what is said on the internet.

Maybe he and the other cohorts who are now in the soccer wilderness should start then.

I don't claim to be some sort of football guru, just a fan who likes to voice his concerns on here.

If anyone disagrees with me then feel free to put forward your own arguments.

Can only echo the sentiments of a number of previous posters. A large part of our problems thus far have came about through changing systems every week. A back 3 against an effcient attacking team like Dundee would be laughable if it were not so serious. We don't have the players to be able to change systems every week. Play a good old 4-4-2 every week & be done with it.

Can only echo the sentiments of a number of previous posters. A large part of our problems thus far have came about through changing systems every week. A back 3 against an effcient attacking team like Dundee would be laughable if it were not so serious. We don't have the players to be able to change systems every week. Play a good old 4-4-2 every week & be done with it.

Exactly !!

You are quite astute and I agree with a lot of what you say kirkyblue. I just wish you would tell us every now and then what you do like about the club.

The club has been badly run recently I think we would all agree about that but having lived through the Harkness era I have been mentally scarred for life, maybe that's the reason I'm bitter and twisted.

Edited by kirkyblue2

The club has been badly run recently I think we would all agree about that but having lived through the Harkness era I have been mentally scarred for life, maybe that's the reason I'm bitter and twisted.

Bitter and Twisted's good.

Don't change.

I'd find it hard to say what I particularly like about Queens to be honest. Other than the vitally important fact that they're mine and I therefore love them, I don't suppose there's anything that special about them.

qosj.jpg

Absolutely spot on. The worrying thing is that its by far the first time.

I think the most disapointing thing this season is that other fans told us Gus wouldnt bring us attractive football, but would have the team well organised, difficult to beat and super fit. So far, we havent had any of those things

Maybe he and the other cohorts who are now in the soccer wilderness should start then.

I don't claim to be some sort of football guru, just a fan who likes to voice his concerns on here.

If anyone disagrees with me then feel free to put forward your own arguments.

Im not allowed to argue anymore :ph34r:

I think theres still a general dismissiveness about the internet in general amongst the majority of those "inside" football.

As some of us have been saying since the start of the season, our defence is rubbish. The same huge gaps as evidenced in the pic were there when we played Stranraer in the second game of the season and have appeared regularly since. Changing it to a 4 improves it, but it is still rubbish, whoever plays.

As bunglebonce points out, Reid is way too deep. Is a centre back not supposed to be level with the ball when it is out wide? If so, what the hell is Reid playing at? And every single Queens player is ball watching.

Agree with most of the above, but not the bit about Brannigan. The defence was shit last season as well. And the one before. And the one before that.....and so on until 1985/86.

Edited to add - as a fan, I don't know what I'm talking about, of course and have no right to comment. Hope I haven't undermined Gus's excellent work in getting them organised. Also hope the poor wee lambs aren't reading this on their way to/from the pub...I mean training....in case they cry.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've heard a wee story that the top post at Palmerston has been filled by wee chappy who is awffy happy aboot getting the top job at Palmerston. He's rubbing his hands at the thought of o' that cheap ground that he can build hooses on. :angry: