The Queen of the South thread

I can't remember my first game, although it was almost certainly in season 1979-80. The first 'big' game I remember was the Scottish Cup victory v Motherwell in January 1980. I also attended the defeat against Partick Thistle in the next round. I was only 7 at the time of both those games, and went with my dad. He lost interest soon after and I attended games intermittently over the next few years, largely with friends from school. I attended every home match in season 85-86 when we were promoted, and also travelled to a few away games including the promotion clinching 1-0 victory at Gayfield. I was hooked.

I'm willing to bet that this isn't true, but people say it anyway, simply because he's skinny.

My thoughts exactly. I also wonder whether other Pars fans hold a similar view about the ability of Burnsy.

My thoughts exactly. I also wonder whether other Pars fans hold a similar view about the ability of Burnsy.

From other accounts, it doesn't sound like Burns is doing great, but neither is his team of course.

It just bugs me when people come out with this "knocked off the ball too easily" pish. Unless he suddenly developed such a weakness over the summer, then it doesn't happen. He's just got an unusually slight build. He's clearly a strong little bugger though, whatever other failings he may have at SPL level.

My first game was in April 1986 against East Stirling. It was just before we won promotion, and just after the infamous game against Dunfermline during the promotion run-in that season, which I think rekindled my father's interest in going to games. We won 3-1, and I don't remember all that much about it other than being a bit bored.

The World Cup that summer really sparked my interest in football though, and that, combined with liking the idea of boys days out with my father and uncle had me going back reasonably regularly the following season. Towards the end of 1986, in maybe my fourth or fifth game overall, we beat Forfar 2-1 with a 90th minute winner. If could put being hooked down to one moment, then that goal was probably it.

I'm willing to bet that this isn't true, but people say it anyway, simply because he's skinny.

:huh: I say it because he gets pushed off the ball, it may be because he's skinny that he gets pushed off the ball but when it comes down to it he does.

You wont have long to wait.

Is he moving in the Janurary transfer window? :D

:huh: I say it because he gets pushed off the ball,

Well you've seen him more recently than I have.

It's just that people used to say it when he broke into our team, but I couldn't recall such a thing ever happening. I think it's just an obvious, lazy criticism to make. Show me a few examples of it happening though and I'll give it a rest.

My first game was in April 1986 against East Stirling. It was just before we won promotion, and just after the infamous game against Dunfermline during the promotion run-in that season, which I think rekindled my father's interest in going to games. We won 3-1, and I don't remember all that much about it other than being a bit bored.

The World Cup that summer really sparked my interest in football though, and that, combined with liking the idea of boys days out with my father and uncle had me going back reasonably regularly the following season. Towards the end of 1986, in maybe my fourth or fifth game overall, we beat Forfar 2-1 with a 90th minute winner. If could put being hooked down to one moment, then that goal was probably it.

I can't believe you can remember back that far, wow!

If we had highlights of players getting pushed off the ball I would happily show you, sadly it seems though that the bbc prefer to show goals and chances.

And yet, despite it happening on an apparently regular basis, it's never happened ahead of a chance or anything else worthy of being deemed a highlight.

Admit it - he's not particularly easily knocked off the ball. It's just that he's not been playing terribly well in a side that's not been playing terribly well. As a skinny wee newcomer in the team, it's very easy to claim that he's too easily knocked off the ball.

Pish, I'll wager.

Can't believe my first post on the grown-ups forum is in defence of Burnsy, but in all my time watching him at Palmerston I don't think I ever saw him legally pushed off the ball. Maybe SPL footballers push harder.

And yet, despite it happening on an apparently regular basis, it's never happened ahead of a chance or anything else worthy of being deemed a highlight.

Admit it - he's not particularly easily knocked off the ball. It's just that he's not been playing terribly well in a side that's not been playing terribly well. As a skinny wee newcomer in the team, it's very easy to claim that he's too easily knocked off the ball.

Pish, I'll wager.

Can't believe my first post on the grown-ups forum is in defence of Burnsy, but in all my time watching him at Palmerston I don't think I ever saw him legally pushed off the ball. Maybe SPL footballers push harder.

Welcome aboard.

You've been absolutely correct in 100% of your posts.

Pish, I'll wager.

It's not like Burns is a defender, it's unlikely for him to get pushed off the ball outside the 18 yard box for the other team to score, you usually see it when he;s trying to get past a player.

What you wagering?

What you wagering?

It doesn't matter - neither of us can prove our case.

I can't establish conclusively that Burns never gets pushed off the ball easily;

Whilst apparently, you can't even establish that Burns ever gets pushed off the ball too easily, but you're saying he does anyway.

All bets are off.

Need to dig out the programme for the details but my first game was as a 7 year old in the 1994/95 season against Berwick Rangers. We won 5-4 but I'd be lying if I said I could remember anything about the game. Pretty much been a regular ever since, with my Dad taking me to every home game. My first "away day" would've been our first Challenge Cup Final up in Motherwell, which still rates as one of my favourite footballing days out. I can remember big Degsy's miss as clearly as if it had happened yesterday.

Another notable game from my childhood was the Dumbarton game where Tommy Bryce scored all four goals in a 4-0 win. My mate was the mascot that day. Amusingly said mates nephew was the mascot at the Morton 4-1 game from this season. Lucky family!

My first "away day" would've been our first Challenge Cup Final up in Motherwell, which still rates as one of my favourite footballing days out. I can remember big Degsy's miss as clearly as if it had happened yesterday.

Yes, definitely a highlight for me too. Easily the best of our 3 Challenge Cup final appearances, despite the fact that we managed to win the middle one.

The crowd we took that day woke a lot of people up to the fact that we maybe weren't complete and utter bottom rung diddies after all.

Edited by Monkey Tennis