The Queen of the South thread

Taken as a whole, last season's squad was not good enough for the First division otherwise they would still be in it. There are, of course, some exceptions, but unless the argument is that our relegation was the sole responsibility of 3 or 4 of them, they are all culpable.

So is Carmichael not good enough? Or Reilly? Or Holt?

I think we all know there were some players in the squad who simply werent good enough. That, however, doesnt automatically mean that none of them are good enough.

The manager is just as, if not more, culpable than any of the players.

And you can't use evidence from two years ago for anything. At the same time as Higgins was winning his medal, Mark Campbell was playing in a team challenging at the top of the First and he is now playing Junior football.

Each one of our defenders could be included in the "if only we could stop making stupid mistakes" category.

Campbell is 34, Higgins is 27. The level Higgins was at a year ago is far more relevant to next season than where Campbell is now.

Just changed my bookmark to the Second Div board, :(

The only unsigned players I would realistically want us to sign are Higgins and McGuffie. Thought they had a great partnership going around the time of the Aberdeen game. I get the argument of not signing relegated players, but IMO we have the best of the bunch signed up and with a few more additions we will really be going for promotion.

Carmichael, Smith and McKenna should all be standouts at this level, and all the younger boys should get a good chance to show what they can do.

Your wish has been granted along with Robinson.

Happy with the 3 signings, that's everyone I wanted signed up signed now. A central midfielder to partner mckenna should now be priority imo.

Agreed. Thats 8 senior players signed up, so I'd guess we would be looking at another 6 players - maybe one or two less, if the likes of Black, Reilly etc are seen as regulars and Johnston intends to play regularly.

At least one central midfielder, is a must. I would say at least one "proper" full back too, ideally one that can play either side. Id quite like to see another winger and another striker too.

You say "some". I'd say most. Out of the three you mention, I'd say Holt is currently not good enough for the First. He is young and may get better, of course.

My point about Higgins is that last season is far more relevant than the one before. He had some shockers last season, in common with the rest of the defence.

Given a free reign, I would not have re-signed McGuffie, Higgins, Holt, Clark or McCusker (I know two of them were already signed). I guess as long as it stops at that, it won't be a disaster.

I agree with you about the manager. A saboteur could not have done a better job.

I thought Higgins was our best defender last season, by some clear distance, when he was played in the centre. He looked ropey at full back though.

Should this be merged with the Big Thread?

The big thread should have been sent back to where it was and closed, or allowed to die off naturally. New division, new broom, new thread I say. :)

However, given that someone has moved the big thread here too then they may as well be merged. :(

I'd hope Magic has finished re-signing players from last year's squad. Of course, I'd like Craig Reid to sign again but he'll surely get a club in the first division. We now need to sign a striker, central midfielder, a full back and a winger. Not too much to ask for, is it?!

I'd hope Magic has finished re-signing players from last year's squad. Of course, I'd like Craig Reid to sign again but he'll surely get a club in the first division. We now need to sign a striker, central midfielder, a full back and a winger. Not too much to ask for, is it?!

He does say that he will be looking to bring in some fresh faces too.

I take it that Parkin has gone?

I'm delighted with the signing of Robinson. He had an excellent season for us last season & I think there is more to come from him. Higgins & McGuffie were consistent performers who will undoubtedly play an important part next season.

Time for a new one of these I think:

Queen of the South

Goalkeepers

Lee Robinson (26) - May 2013

Defenders

Steven Black (20) - May 2013

Chris Higgins (27) - May 2013

Kevin Holt (19) - May 2014

Ryan McGuffie (32) - May 2013

Midfielders

Daniel Carmichael (22) - May 2013

Nicky Clark (21) - May 2013

Allan Johnston (38) - May 2013

Stephen McKenna (26) - May 2013

Ian McShane (19) - May 2013

Dan Orsi (20) - May 2013

Forwards

Marc McCusker (23) - May 2013

Gavin Reilly (19) - May 2013

Kevin Smith (25) - May 2013

Ages as at 1st August 2012

Allan and Ryan I suppose apart this, is a relatively young looking squad. Not to mention one that is looking very positive. A few new fresh faces and we could be in for an exciting season ahead.

Edited by Hawk

Happy enough with those signings - particularly Robinson's.

Happy also with the idea that they're the last among those getting retained.

Thanks also to Mr X for driving the thread round in a van. This is the best place for it, even though I still just found myself looking absent mindedly in 1st Division land for it.

Still not overly enthused by the apparent attempt to sign most of last season's team.

Remember, that team finished 6 points behind Ayr. Who in turn lost to Airdrie. Who in turn finished below Arbroath.

I share your concerns, but I've never really thought of it in quite those terms before.

That is indeed a kind of worrying way to look at it, so I think I'll adopt it as my own.

Well pleased with the latest signing news, as has been said already we have got the best of last years senior players signed up plus our best youngsters. A few new faces and a decent pre-season and we should hit the ground running.

A few early wins under the belt will attract people to come through the turnstyles, which creates a better atmosphere and pushes the team on even more.

Relegation can be a positive effect on Queens and with a bit of luck we can come back up at the first time of asking. It did no harm to Ross County when they fell to Div2 a few seasons ago.

Looking forward to 2012/13.bigsmile.gif

Well pleased with the latest signing news, as has been said already we have got the best of last years senior players signed up plus our best youngsters. A few new faces and a decent pre-season and we should hit the ground running.

A few early wins under the belt will attract people to come through the turnstyles, which creates a better atmosphere and pushes the team on even more.

Relegation can be a positive effect on Queens and with a bit of luck we can come back up at the first time of asking. It did no harm to Ross County when they fell to Div2 a few seasons ago.

Looking forward to 2012/13.bigsmile.gif

Christ, we seem to have our very own Foxbarton.