The Queen of the South thread

I just want to see on the deck attacking football.I think the manager will bring that next seasonLast season was the worst football played since the Dark Era, when Dougie Mills and other such" talents" were on show.Hopefully we will get some decent signings in, and if we get off to a good start, who knows ? .

Saturdays should be about looking forward to some entertainment,not dreading seeing a borefest.

Edited by weeredbook

I take Monkey Tennis's point, but the likes of McGuffie and Higgins are proven at first division level so it's fairly logical to assume they will cope a level down. They are the only two from the defence that I have seen people keen to sign. Reid I expect will move on, and hopefully so too will Potter. Although I had feared relegation from about September, it was his signing that sealed our fate IMO. McGuffie and Higgins were just starting to look like a partnership, and it was clear for all to see our midfield was lacking creativity. So what does the tactical mastermind do? Sign one of his old pals, who is no better than what we have. Cheers Gus.

Although no-one can deny we were rightfully relegated, most people believe we had a reasonable squad that perhaps should've competed better than it did. I haven't seen anyone clamouring to get all of last seasons squad re-signed. Just a select few who were our better performers last year (McGuffie, Higgins, Carmichael), or have done it for us in the past (Reid and McKenna). I don't have a problem with bolstering our youth players with these experienced guys. With the exception of Clark, so far Johnston has only signed players the fans have wanted to stay so I'm content.

Obviously alarm bells will start to go off if some of the pretenders from last season start getting offered deals as well though, but I have faith that having played alongside them, Magic will know who is and isn't up to it.

I take Monkey Tennis's point, but the likes of McGuffie and Higgins are proven at first division level so it's fairly logical to assume they will cope a level down. They are the only two from the defence that I have seen people keen to sign. Reid I expect will move on, and hopefully so too will Potter. Although I had feared relegation from about September, it was his signing that sealed our fate IMO. McGuffie and Higgins were just starting to look like a partnership, and it was clear for all to see our midfield was lacking creativity. So what does the tactical mastermind do? Sign one of his old pals, who is no better than what we have. Cheers Gus.

Although no-one can deny we were rightfully relegated, most people believe we had a reasonable squad that perhaps should've competed better than it did. I haven't seen anyone clamouring to get all of last seasons squad re-signed. Just a select few who were our better performers last year (McGuffie, Higgins, Carmichael), or have done it for us in the past (Reid and McKenna). I don't have a problem with bolstering our youth players with these experienced guys. With the exception of Clark, so far Johnston has only signed players the fans have wanted to stay so I'm content.

Obviously alarm bells will start to go off if some of the pretenders from last season start getting offered deals as well though, but I have faith that having played alongside them, Magic will know who is and isn't up to it.

Either this is a very bad dream, or I just agreed with you :o:P

Either this is a very bad dream, or I just agreed with you :o:P

You're learning. Not enough for a greenie I see though! :lol:

I'm in pre-season optimism mode, and at the minute everything I want to happen is happening which is maintaining this optimism. Of course it could turn out that I know absolutely nothing about football, and the things I want to happen turn out to be an absolute disaster! I did want Gus after all!

Flash and Monkey Tennis have clearly followed Queens longer than I have though causing them to understandably be permanently pessimistic. It'll come to us all eventually.

That's the way I see it also.

You're learning. Not enough for a greenie I see though! :lol:

I'm in pre-season optimism mode, and at the minute everything I want to happen is happening which is maintaining this optimism. Of course it could turn out that I know absolutely nothing about football, and the things I want to happen turn out to be an absolute disaster! I did want Gus after all!

Flash and Monkey Tennis have clearly followed Queens longer than I have though causing them to understandably be permanently pessimistic. It'll come to us all eventually.

You have your greenie :lol: although, in my lofty position, I have loads :P

I dont think many people were against McPhersons appointment last summer

I also take the points made by Mr X and palmy_cammy. I just wasn't that impressed with McGuffie last season, TBH.

I think the absence of a list of players who have been released is the biggest worry at the moment. I know their contracts are up, but it would be comforting to know who we were definitely not going to offer terms to. I'm pretty sure, in the same circumstances, we've had lists of players released before. The worry for me is that we are currently negotiating with all of them and that's why none has been said to have been released. This, and the complete lack of any signing, or indication of a signing, from elsewhere is a concern. I know it is early days, though.

And I might be pessimistic, but it is amazing how often the pessimists amongst us are proved right when it comes to Queens. Last pre-season I actually thought Gus would be ok. This belief continued right up until about 20 minutes in to the Diddy Cup game v Ayr when I then thought we could well be relegation fodder.

I dont know the reason behind it, but the club have already said - through the Board Blog - that they wont be putting out a list of released players, rather "...concentrate on announcing who we are signing"

I dont know the reason behind it, but the club have already said - through the Board Blog - that they wont be putting out a list of released players, rather "...concentrate on announcing who we are signing"

Have the contracts expired?

No need to tell the world contract situations, surely clubs know when players contracts expire etc, so why should the club have to make an announcement, would be different if the players were stil contracted for next season and let go. In thus instance I support the board.

Have the contracts expired?

Some of the players were commenting on twitter that they were now "free agents" last week. The OS has most of them down as the end of May, but thats just a convenience thing to indicate they are out of contract at the end of this season. Its not necessarily the actual, physical, date of the end of the contract.

Most of the players were out of contract on monday being the day after the playoffs finished. We never announced a "released" list last year either though the board did confirm Lilley Holmes and McLaren wouldnt be offered anything before Gus was appointed although he could have reversed that decision if he had wanted to.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Too true mate.

Mind you, I was a miserable b*****d at your age too.

See when we move to the second division, can we get a new thread. As this one just goes to the last post for me now.

I was going to say the same. This one has served its purpose. New division, new thread I say. Clean broom and all that.

Perhaps Mr X, as moderator, should have the task of closing this one on GTF Day and and opening a new one in the Second Division Forum to signal the okay to move. ;)

Saturdays should be about looking forward to some entertainment,not dreading seeing a borefest.

Indeed. Not all games can be exciting but when it gets to the stage that EVERY time you go to a game and get out the car thinking " Why the f*ck am I here? " something is wrong.

Still, next season, different days, different ways! ( I hope )

No need to tell the world contract situations, surely clubs know when players contracts expire etc, so why should the club have to make an announcement, would be different if the players were stil contracted for next season and let go. In thus instance I support the board.

Yeah but it's about being engaged with the fans and letting them know whats going on. Like someone else said, it's crap not knowing if the likes of Simmons have been offered contracts. Which I for one hope he hasn't sad.gif