The Queen of the South thread

Really hope I don't jinx this but our next three league games are Morton (h), Maryhill (a) and Raith (h) .... none of them easy (well when you are bottom of the table that's obvious), but at the same time all games we could conceivably take something from.  Is there still some hope?

Last game of the season is in The Kingdom at East End Park ... could it be a nerve shredder?

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Really hope I don't jinx this but our next three league games are Morton (h), Maryhill (a) and Raith (h) .... none of them easy (well when you are bottom of the table that's obvious), but at the same time all games we could conceivably take something from.  Is there still some hope?

Last game of the season is in The Kingdom at East End Park ... could it be a nerve shredder?

The next two league games are massive. If we beat Morton next week, theres a chance we could go above Dunfermline who play Arbroath and be 3 points behind Ayr, who play Raith.

The game against Partick is then our game in hand over Ayr. Win that and we'll move above our derby rivals into 8th 😮 

ETA - that would also put us only 2 point behind Morton

Edited by Homer Thompson

13 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

The next two league games are massive. If we beat Morton next week, theres a chance we could go above Dunfermline who play Arbroath and be 3 points behind Ayr, who play Raith.

The game against Partick is then our game in hand over Ayr. Win that and we'll move above our derby rivals into 8th 😮 

ETA - that would also put us only 2 point behind Morton

Easy as that eh...

Fair play to WG and the lads that was a hard game but we should had another goal to make it a lot easier. The effort of these players is excellent and they are giving everything for the team and Wullie. Going to the fans at the end was class and all the players looked if they really enjoyed it. In the past we would have conceded goals under that pressure. Max Johnston is a new player now he has left AJ at home.

Whilst it wasn't a spectacle of silky skills today, it was a well deserved win and the glimmer of hope remains.  Everyone battled and stood up to the late Ayr pressure to a man.

It may sound simple, but I think the improvement under Wullie can be put down to three things in particular:

-  Playing players in their best positions.  No messing about with central defenders in central midfield or central midfielders out wide, for example, just build a system around the players we have rather than try and fit them into the manager's preferred system.

-  Going out with the intention to attack the opposition and play the game in their half rather than having 9 outfield players behind the ball and hoping that there is an opportunity to break from defence and score.  Attack is the best form of defence!

-  Playing to our own strengths ahead of concentrating on how to stop the opposition playing to theirs.  Gibson has faith in our abilities, whereas Johnston seemed so obsessed with stopping the opponents from winning that he never set up to give them problems back.

Today I was very impressed with Paton, Gibson, Rae, Todd and East.  O'Connor continues to improve.  Cameron though continues to frustrate me.  As a central striker he spends too much time in wide areas leaving a gap in the middle, his shooting is a bit scattergun and while he wins a lot of flick-ons they rarely find a teammate.  Moves tend to break down and end once he is involved.  That said, he is far better than Roy.

Edited by Slipmat

3 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

-  Playing players in their best positions. 

-  Going out with the intention to attack the opposition

-  Playing to our own strengths

Cameron though continues to frustrate me.... flick-ons they rarely find a teammate.  Moves tend to break down and end once he is involved.

I wholeheartedly agree with your three improvements. However, I think picking on Cameron is hard on the lad. I wasn't at today's game (watched the stream) but against Arbroath he absolutely worked his socks off and it was only a lack of team mates close enough to him that led to moves breaking down. I'm hoping that as the team improves under WG, the attacking players are able to play more as a unit and that they/we get the payoff with more shots/goals.

C'mon the Queens!

3 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

i wasnt inferring that was your chosen political affiliation....just that you live there.

You're the guy in the know in other words. 

No inference taken, but I live in South Lanarkshire ...

15 hours ago, Riviera711 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with your three improvements. However, I think picking on Cameron is hard on the lad. I wasn't at today's game (watched the stream) but against Arbroath he absolutely worked his socks off and it was only a lack of team mates close enough to him that led to moves breaking down. I'm hoping that as the team improves under WG, the attacking players are able to play more as a unit and that they/we get the payoff with more shots/goals.

C'mon the Queens!

Cameron needs help up top if Connelly going to be out for a while do we try and add to the squad with the loan window closing on Monday night .

2 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Cameron needs help up top if Connelly going to be out for a while do we try and add to the squad with the loan window closing on Monday night .

I think we've enough cover up top, but don't know if the quality is good enough. Strikers/forwards probably need runs in games to show some form, haven't really seen enough of Folarin? to make a judgement, Paton and Roy would do a job beside Cameron, Junior looks to be last resort which is a pity but he is a frustrating player. 

Thought that over the last two games, he can be isolated and we lack a bit of pace just behind to get up and support him quickly. Paton technically has shown himself to be good enough in last two games but really think he lacks that half yard, as does Todd. Fitzpatrick obviously has it but it’s getting him upto speed.

Thought I’d say a fully deserved win yesterday although you were just hanging on at the end, Gibson much as I don’t like the guy is a terrific player still and has all of his players really playing for him, think you keep that up you will not be in the playoffs, oh and dreading our visit down there where we never get anything regardless of the team queens put out.

Also I think the defence deserve a huge amount of credit for last two games. Yes last ten mins yesterday was backs to wall but we nullified the majority of ayrs threats. Personally think Max Johnston has been superb the last two games, what a shift the boy puts in, he’s came in for a lot of unjust criticism for me.