The Queen of the South thread

7 minutes ago, Doonhamer70 said:

We have 3 centre half’s signed this week

McKay can also cover right back and Morrison has a horrendous injury record. Think we need an experienced nasty spine of our team (i.e Broadfoot). Thought last year our team were too nice

20 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Agree a good few signings especially Wilson and Reilly,  this league is up for grabs , a signing like Savoury could  tip the balance league wise with a few teams in for him ( heard you have offered him a 2 year ) confident of him signing....     Falkirk will be Falkirk who are predicting a massive loss already this season will still throw money at it,  Dunfermline everybody's tip seem in disarray as well..   We Airdrie not sure yet depends who we bring i n, we need to start well...

Wonder if this is a clue !

32328953-69CF-42C3-A255-6480606E8F7D.jpeg

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
19 minutes ago, QoS99 said:
Wonder if this is a clue !
32328953-69CF-42C3-A255-6480606E8F7D.thumb.jpeg.9980d3f0626652d930f19e7b903097ad.jpeg

Hopefully us but if he's as good as the reviews say then a move to Carlisle wouldn't be the most bizarre move tbh.

Is Rae to Carlisle confirmed or just a rumour?

Im quite pleased with the way the squad is shaping up and its great to get some early signings on board. Only slight concern is that Cochrane, Todd, McKechnie and McGrory appear to be made of glass. This, coupled with Paul McKays injury woes this season, Gav’s recent injury worries, Wilsons injury history and what the QP fans have said about Morrisons injuries, makes me think its could be a bit unbalanced. Only Gibson & Paton would appear to be the robust types that manage to play a whole season uninterrupted. East was another who rarely seemed to miss a game, so hope he re-signs.
Of course these things are never an exact science and luck plays a huge part, but adding a couple of guys who have averaged 30/40 games a season for a couple of years would be good.

55 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Im quite pleased with the way the squad is shaping up and its great to get some early signings on board. Only slight concern is that Cochrane, Todd, McKechnie and McGrory appear to be made of glass. This, coupled with Paul McKays injury woes this season, Gav’s recent injury worries, Wilsons injury history and what the QP fans have said about Morrisons injuries, makes me think its could be a bit unbalanced. Only Gibson & Paton would appear to be the robust types that manage to play a whole season uninterrupted. East was another who rarely seemed to miss a game, so hope he re-signs.
Of course these things are never an exact science and luck plays a huge part, but adding a couple of guys who have averaged 30/40 games a season for a couple of years would be good.

Quitongo also appears to be a bit of a yellow-card magnet (9 last season in 31 games according to Soccerbase) so hopefully we will have strength in depth to avoid having to resort to tinkering with positions and formations to cover for injuries and suspensions, unlike the season just ended.

Edited by Slipmat

Can only remember Mcgrory having one injury last season? Could be wrong

Can only remember Mcgrory having one injury last season? Could be wrong

Yeah, you could be right and maybe im being a bit unfair on the boy in terms of injuries. I do remember he went down in 89th minute v Cove and was out for a few weeks. Probably my memory of a stop /start season for him is more down to Johnsons continual tinkering last season. Hopefully we can get a much more settled line up on the pitch this year

Like the Iain Wilson signing (and a 2 year contract) - decent bit of business there.  We've missed that sort of energy in the midfield.

Don't know much about Grant Savoury, but seems a promising midfielder with plenty interested in him.  So that sounds like more good business if happens.  Also read somewhere that he'd previously had a trial at Queens, so not entirely unknown to us.

As others have said, the squad's starting to shape up well now.

Edinburgh City had Grant Savoury on loan from Celtic just before Covid. An entertaining tanner ba' player. He got the nickname "Steak bake" from our younger fans. I wouldn't have minded seeing him back with City but them's the breaks.

You've signed Stuart Morrison from Queen's Park. He was on loan to us from Dunfermline a few seasons ago. I thought he was solid enough at centre back. Tended to injure himself throwing himself into tackles but he was just young then so may have improved. 

3 hours ago, stravaigar said:

Any word on pre season friendlies yet ?

It's mad to think that we're nearly at that point already! Also, it reinforces what a good job has been done so far in getting new signings in as soon as possible.