The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

All will still be negotiating  new contracts far to early to say anyone is away. 

Paton has said he has no idea yet what his future is .

Dabrowski has still to find out if he will be offered anything at Hibs.

Last season East and Connelly signed late June most players like to wait and  see what offers come in .

Dabrowski was told he was leaving hibs when he went on loan to us. 

there’s not a hope in hell Paton will be staying.

6 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

All will still be negotiating  new contracts far to early to say anyone is away. 

Paton has said he has no idea yet what his future is .

Dabrowski has still to find out if he will be offered anything at Hibs.

Last season East and Connelly signed late June most players like to wait and  see what offers come in .

You just make this stuff up dont you?

4 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Efe would be a good mentor for young Jack to play alongside, wonder if Efe comes in as player/ assistant manager... 

I wouldn’t be averse to him as player assistant. On the basis that Grant Murray surely must have been giving WG advice on who to sign in defence last season and look how that worked out. Probably the worst defence I’ve seen in my 52 years following Queens. 

On the subject of Ambrose, below is some feedback from posters on the Morton thread ... thoughts?

From @SpoonTon ...

He was a class act when he came in for us. Defended the box very well and played the ball out well too (wouldn't have wanted him exposed against a quick striker though). He really helped us out in an awkward moment in our season. He did overdo it a few times and had a stinker at Celtic park, but he's still got quality. 

The legs are going though, and O'Connor came back in and got stronger and stronger as the season went on. I'm not sure how much he's got left in the tank or if he's up to playing every week over a season but we've had way worse at this level. He wasn't going to displace O'Connor and Baird but he would've been good back up and I'd be happy to have him at league one level. You never know when it's going to be one season too many, but on the evidence of this season he'd be a good signing for any League One club. 

From @Toby ...

He was a good short-term signing that got us out of a hole when O’Connor was injured, and nobody was upset about extending his deal until the summer, but I doubt anyone would have wanted to keep him.

As you would expect, there was the odd moment that gave you the fear and he had a nightmare at Celtic Park, but that was to be expected against a team of that quality.

Going down to League One is the natural step for him and he should deal with it okay, but don’t pin your hopes on him week in, week out.

Overall, his time at Cappielow was a positive experience, but more because he was a good man to have around the club/cult hero to the fans than because he was any good. Should be fine against shite like “Falkirk” though.

Ambrose cant run so youre relying on him reading the game exceptionally, and have players around him who can run for when he gets it wrong.

I doubt hes worth it unless hes on pennies.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ambrose cant run so youre relying on him reading the game exceptionally, and have players around him who can run for when he gets it wrong.

I doubt hes worth it unless hes on pennies.

For some reason I thought I'd read somewhere that Ambrose was 37 and was about to fully agree with you.  However, if Wiki is to be believed he's still only 34 (35 in October) so you'd think his legs shouldn't be totally gone yet - or at least they should be able to cope with the "pace" of the third tier.

As you've said, with players of his ilk, the loss of pace is normally made up for by their greater experience, higher ability and better reading of the game - especially in the back line where the game is played in front of them.  We've had examples in the past (although not of Efe's pedigree) - names such as Brian Reid and Stuart Lovell spring to mind who stood out in a back line in their later playing years.

My main problem here would be that bringing in Ambrose wouldn't exactly be seen as building a squad for the future as we'd only get a season or possibly two from him, although it could be argued that his value would be in mentoring the younger lads beside him in defence.

Then again, we're adding two and two to get five here when this is all just a rumour at the moment based around a perceived friendship between Bartley and Ambrose and this could turn out to be total bollocks.

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You just make this stuff up dont you?

Are players not negotiating contracts? .They all just get one take it or leave offer from us .

Always thought offers go back and forth from player to club or as you say am I making that up

44 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

...building a squad for the future...

I think that's a pipedream for us, sadly. The reality is if we got a good group of youngsters together this term who won the league, it would be stripped for parts at the end of the season. If Gibson has a consistent season next term he'll more than likely be gone, for example. We were soon stripped the season we had Reilly, McShane et al as well. 

The only way around this is to offer the younger players 2 year deals but then can you imagine the majority of last years group were already signed for another year? 

It's a hard one. The reality is we need players signed each year to do a job for that season. If MB can spot players similar to Brydon then I'd certainly be more than happy with 2 year deals being handed out mind. 

52 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

When do they start work on our new pitch at Palmerston ? 

Thought it was to start on the Monday after the Kelty game, might have been misinformed or its been delayed if it hasn't started. 

9 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Hadn’t been touched earlier this week. 

Will  not have started yet we might have needed Palmerston for playoffs sadly that never happened .

On  the Ambrose rumour we are desperate for experience and height at the back something he has hopefully he could do a job for us .

23 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Hadn’t been touched earlier this week. 

Just what I was told at the Kelty game, not by someone greatly itk to be fair. Is the car prize still a thing, it's usually on display on the Terregles Terrace at the last home game. 

Edit to add: Just checked OS and the end of season car prize is still there although I don't know if that is an up to date notice. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think that's a pipedream for us, sadly. The reality is if we got a good group of youngsters together this term who won the league, it would be stripped for parts at the end of the season. If Gibson has a consistent season next term he'll more than likely be gone, for example. We were soon stripped the season we had Reilly, McShane et al as well. 

The only way around this is to offer the younger players 2 year deals but then can you imagine the majority of last years group were already signed for another year? 

It's a hard one. The reality is we need players signed each year to do a job for that season. If MB can spot players similar to Brydon then I'd certainly be more than happy with 2 year deals being handed out mind. 

Yep, that's the problem that all clubs have at our level in trying to build squads and establish some kind of continuity.  I think the answer has to be somewhere in the middle though, where we aim to retain a fair number of our squad each end of season - a complete re-build every season surely carries too much risk.  All we can do is try to offer the more promising players 2 year deals such that potential suitors are either put off or we get some income if they are sold prior to their contract ends.  It's a balance though, obviously we can't just go throwing around crazy deals for all and sundry.  Looking forward to see how our approach this close-season develops.

41 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Hallelujah. Lets hope its markedly better than the last one

Ignite a block of C4 in the centre circle and leave it and it'll still be an improvement.