The Queen of the South thread

38 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Over on Twitter Big Kev has confirmed that he will not be coming back to Queens .

He was a top class goalkeeper he will go on and have a good career.

Hardly unexpected as we’ve just extended Botterill's contract and signed another young keeper Johnson. Not sure if Cowie will still be on the books also. 

Wullie Gibson biggest mistake as a manager was not playing. 

He has shown as a player at Annan that he still has it.

Very bad injury to Rico hope he can recover from it .

Lastly well done to Annan we have got a proper Derby back for next season.

34 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Wullie Gibson biggest mistake as a manager was not playing. 

He has shown as a player at Annan that he still has it.

Very bad injury to Rico hope he can recover from it .

Lastly well done to Annan we have got a proper Derby back for next season.

His biggest mistake was being a manger. 

Well done Annan.  

Great for our footballing region this. 

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

Be interesting to see Gibson's reaction if/when he scores against QoS next season. 

Would imagine any reaction from wullie will be aimed at the board. Think he will still think of the supporters fondly who hold him in high regard. Nobody wanted it to end how it did. 

Wullie was a class act last night. I thought most of the game was woeful but Annan certainly stepped it up towards the end of the second half. The performance of the ex Queens players , other than Wullie, underlined to me that letting them go was not a wrong decision. Certainly looking forward to Annan coming up and hopefully the football authorities make sure we're not both at home at the same time. Short travel time for an away fixture to balance for the reappearance of Cove Rangers in league 1 next season.

15 hours ago, Kunter said:

His biggest mistake was being a manger. 

Well done Annan.  

Great for our footballing region this. 

Absolutely brilliant for the region. Both sides an awful lot of preparation?

54 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Absolutely brilliant for the region. Both sides an awful lot of preparation?

Do you think you'll keep the bulk of that squad? Thankfully we're having a major clearout. 

54 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Do you think you'll keep the bulk of that squad? Thankfully we're having a major clearout. 

I saw a post from Skyline drifter naming all the EX QOS players in the Annan squad & Moxon be careful who you dump ?

54 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

I saw a post from Skyline drifter naming all the EX QOS players in the Annan squad & Moxon be careful who you dump ?

Moxon was released too soon IMO. Gibson is quality. I wouldn't have any of the ex-QoS players currently in the Annan squad back at Palmerston if they were offered tbh. 

35 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Moxon was released too soon IMO. Gibson is quality. I wouldn't have any of the ex-QoS players currently in the Annan squad back at Palmerston if they were offered tbh. 

Not offering but can't understand how you wouldn't fancy Tommy Goss. Has improved his whole game this season as I didn't rate him at all when he joined us.

10 minutes ago, Hauftimedraw said:

Not offering but can't understand how you wouldn't fancy Tommy Goss. Has improved his whole game this season as I didn't rate him at all when he joined us.

Always seemed half a yard off the pace when he was with us.  It'll be interesting to see how he fares against full-timers again.

1 hour ago, Hauftimedraw said:

No thanks. He was mince in the championship.

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Personally I always thought Naysmith got it wrong releasing Moxon but to be fair he did so in 2017. He then had a couple of seasons playing regularly but unspectacularly for Annan, missed an entire season and then came back a different player, stronger, more physical. He took 4 years to prove him wrong. Not sure we'd have persevered that long.

Otherwise I dont think there's much issue with the players who moved on. Having been sacked as a manager Gibson clearly couldnt stay on as a player. That was certainly a bonus for Annan. Hooper and Smith were never going to be regular starters for us at Championship level and it was right for all parties for them to move on at the time. Luissint was a young reserve who wasnt quite first team level when Covid ended his time with us. Notwithstanding his two goals last night (as a sub) he's not even a regular starter at Annan. Mitchell was about 14 when he moved on to Celtic.

Which leaves Goss. He came to full time football pretty late with a completed apprenticeship behind him. He gave it a go for a year but he lacked experience and physical fitness. You couldnt expect that to come overnight. He got 10 mins here and there. Never the less he had something, that rare ability to be right place, right time, and Allan Johnston wanted to keep him. He wasnt freed. He was offered a new improved contract but with a young family he preferred to leave and return part time as well play more regularly. A sensible call from him I think. We could have been awkward about that but let him leave. He wasnt an overnight success with Annan either. Last season was ok but not spectacular. This season he looks to have learned the level. I think he'll do fine in League One.

1 hour ago, Hauftimedraw said:

He's had a decent season two levels below where I last saw him play. I don't think it's anything worth getting excited about tbh. I only saw the 1st leg of the Clyde game and he looked the same to me tbh. He's obviously had a very good season though and fair play to him but I'd still be disappointed if that's the level of player we're looking to sign next season. 

If he gets 10 goals next season in the league I'll be gobsmacked. 

Just now, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Goss looked so shit every game for Queens he played. 

Goss was not ready to make the massive jump from Abbey Vale to Queens .

Now he is physically stronger he will easily score over 10 goals next season and have many assists like Annan first goal on Friday .

He is exactly the type of forward we should be looking to sign but would never come back to us when he can make more money working and playing part time.

Away from that well done to Airdrie and Josh Rae who saved the pen to send them up to the Championship.

League complete now Hamilton coming down still going to be very difficult.

Cove now full time as well so hopefully MB can build a squad good enough to challenge at the right end of the League.

Yep, Accies, Cove, Annan and Stirling are the new additions to L1. Some fresh faces there which is always good.

Would expect Falkirk and Accies, with maybe Cove to be the strongest opposition.  Trouble is we never, ever, ever beat Accies ... or at least it always seems that way.