The Queen of the South thread

29 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Realistic players to try and extend for next year: Botterill, Logan, McKechnie, Cochrane, East, Wilson and Todd.

Players I’d like to see us target: Matty Yates, Scott Allan, Paul Watson, John Robertson, Joe Bevan.

Can I ask why Scott Allan good player years ago but why someone that knows him and likes him as a player does not play him at Arbroath.

32 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Well known friend of Bartley and being released by Morton

Bartley will have many  friends / contacts in football.

Massive summer ahead for us hope we don't go down the route of signing too many young players.

Need experience and height right through the spine of the team 

10 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Can I ask why Scott Allan good player years ago but why someone that knows him and likes him as a player does not play him at Arbroath.

Feel like we need more creativity higher up the pitch. Also if he failed at us his chance of full time football ever again is done so he’d come with something to prove

1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

Don't think that Paton or Dabrowski will be with us next year.

I have to eat humble pie and say I was totally wrong about Bartley. He seems to be able to get a tune out of underperforming players. Hoping his recruitment is good for next year to help us challenge next year. If he gets it right there is no reason we can't win the league. I think he wil go with a young squad which he can coach. Cochrane is a different player under him but wants to play at a higher level but will anyone pay compensation and take the risk. Paton, Dabrowski defo away 100% Paton rumoured for Ayr and Dunfermline . Young lad Watson from hearts rumoured to be signing. Efe Ambrose rumoured as well. 

Are you basing the Paton rumours purely off of what you’ve heard on here or is there more to it than that? 

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Are you basing the Paton rumours purely off of what you’ve heard on here or is there more to it than that? 

As said on here before, Paton’s agent has been trying to get him a move for this summer for a while now. I’d say there is literally no chance he resigns with us.

1 minute ago, QoS99 said:

As said on here before, Paton’s agent has been trying to get him a move for this summer for a while now. I’d say there is literally no chance he resigns with us.

Aye there’s no doubt he leaves you lot. Over 20 goals in the league and the age he is as tells you that. 

I meant more about the rumours of Ayr wanting him. 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye there’s no doubt he leaves you lot. Over 20 goals in the league and the age he is as tells you that. 

I meant more about the rumours of Ayr wanting him. 

Nah first I’d heard of it was on here. Was talk of St Johnstone in January but that has quietened down. I still think he’ll sign for Dunfermline though.

3 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Add Todd Hendrie and Connelly to your list

Think i am the only one but I would offer Murray a contract . 

Somehow we have to try and get big Kev.

Paton I am sure we will offer him a very good contract .

We have hope MB can convince him to have another season with us but it will very difficult as many other clubs will be interested. 

Not fussed by any of the three mentioned tbh. Murray is one I’m on fence with, you can’t grumble at his stats for being in and out the side his goal and assists tally is pretty impressive. 

3 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Don't think that Paton or Dabrowski will be with us next year.

I have to eat humble pie and say I was totally wrong about Bartley. He seems to be able to get a tune out of underperforming players. Hoping his recruitment is good for next year to help us challenge next year. If he gets it right their is no reason we can't win the league. I think he wil go with a young squad which he can coach. Cochrane is a different player under him but wants to play at a higher level but will anyone pay compensation and take the risk. Paton, Dabrowski defo away 100% Paton rumoured for Ayr and Dunfermline . Young lad Watson from hearts rumoured to be signing. Efe Ambrose rumoured as well. 

I must be the only one that would take Ambrose. Quite like the Scott Allan suggestion, but is there not something he can’t play between certain months due to his ticker? Really would like us to try get Joe Bevan from Albion Rovers, for 18 he’s made a decent impact at a poor side. A different sort of option again. 

Certainly going to be an interesting summer.

Now on to my favourite part of the football season. Absolutely love this time when signings are coming in/re-signing (Probably because it's better than watching them...). 

Couple of interesting videos. I suspect Paton is just being respectful but his interview didn't scream of someone who is on his way out. It was present and future tense rather than talking about the club in past tense. I expect I'm clutching at straws but it would have been nice is Sandra had asked him outright if he was staying. He's always been pretty honest and I think he'd have done the same with such a question (if he knew the answer). Bartley's was equally interesting, saying he expects a couple to re-sign in the next couple of days and a couple of new signings. For some reason I think Irving will be one of them (hope I'm wrong) and Murray the other (really hope I'm wrong). Kev and Paton would be an outstanding start :lol:

Interesting to see who the new signings are at this stage as well. I expect one of them will be the boy he's had playing for the reserves on the odd occasion recently (can't mind his name, and also hope I'm wrong as I wasn't impressed). 

8 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Feel like we need more creativity higher up the pitch. Also if he failed at us his chance of full time football ever again is done so he’d come with something to prove

He is a myth of a player. He has had one good season in his entire career (with Hibs in the Championship). I'm sure this is partly due to his health which is a shame so it's not a criticism, but if you're trying to build a league winning side you need to look at what he is going to bring and the evidence suggest no goals, about 10 starts and the odd classy moment. I can't see any way that Bartley would want that.

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Now on to my favourite part of the football season. Absolutely love this time when signings are coming in/re-signing (Probably because it's better than watching them...). 

Couple of interesting videos. I suspect Paton is just being respectful but his interview didn't scream of someone who is on his way out. It was present and future tense rather than talking about the club in past tense. I expect I'm clutching at straws but it would have been nice is Sandra had asked him outright if he was staying. He's always been pretty honest and I think he'd have done the same with such a question (if he knew the answer). Bartley's was equally interesting, saying he expects a couple to re-sign in the next couple of days and a couple of new signings. For some reason I think Irving will be one of them (hope I'm wrong) and Murray the other (really hope I'm wrong). Kev and Paton would be an outstanding start :lol:

Interesting to see who the new signings are at this stage as well. I expect one of them will be the boy he's had playing for the reserves on the odd occasion recently (can't mind his name, and also hope I'm wrong as I wasn't impressed). 

Both really good postive interviews .

It would seem he wants to say but if the likes of  Dunfermline  want him then we would struggle to keep him .

At least if he goes we will get a fee for him. 

M.B.last words are so important there are many players who want to play for Queens it is his job to pick the right ones something Wullie Gibson got so wrong last summer .

My only worry is signing to many young players Johnston tried that it just does not work. 

Experience is crucial as is a physical presence we can't get bullied like last season. 

Very interesting summer ahead starting with who will get released on Tuesday .

Contracted for next year:
Wilson, P McKay, Brydon, Gibson
Burns, Johnstone

Reilly - although likely to be terminated??

Re-sign:
Paton, Dabrowski - even if they are unlikely to accept an offer
Cochrane, Todd, East, Logan, Hendrie - they are all good enough to start or play a significant role in League One
Connelly, Murray - I would offer Murray a contract ahead of Connelly (15 goal contributions is a good return) but I would be happy to see them both stay
McKenna, McGrory, McKechnie - important to consider the likelihood of finding anyone better for their role in the squad and their wage. McKenna has looked better at centre-back and could be an alright squad option
Muir, Cowie - promising young players
Botterill

Resign:
D McKay, Quitongo, Morrison, Ruth, Irving, McMahon, Kabia, (Reilly) - none of them look to be of the required standard, perhaps harsh on McMahon given I’d keep Muir

This would leave a squad of 17 senior/first team players so would allow room for Marvin Bartley to sign a few players he thinks could make a difference. I don’t doubt that if we had Dabrowski, Logan and Brydon from the start of the season we’d have reached the playoffs, so this current squad would only need a few quality arrivals to replace the deadwood leaving to have a chance of faring much better next season, especially given Cove Rangers are likely to be an inferior side to Dunfermline. There should certainly be a focus on getting a couple of more experienced players to complement the younger players.

Of course in practice not everyone offered a contract will stay, but that doesn’t mean the next few months can’t be lived in the blind hope that next season will be comparatively easy (until it all comes crashing down after a humiliating defeat in the first game)

Our quarterly points were -

We only had 5 points after 6 games and there were some looking at the other end of the table.

I felt we were stronger once MB took over, it just took a while to show (0-3 v Kelty still haunts me). 

I am feeling optimistic about next season, I expect MB to strengthen the team. What could possibly go wrong?

We’ll have either Falkirk or Hamilton in the division (or both!) who you would think will be our main rivals. We’ll see……

It's good that we ultimately moved into the top half of the table and the finish to the season was encouraging. Perhaps if we'd not committed hari-kiri against Montrose and had instead run up a few goals in winning that game yesterday might have been very interesting. Not to be though and no pretending that ultimately the season isn't a massive failure. It was.

We finish 3 points and GD out of the playoffs. We'd have gotten in if we'd won the two home games v Alloa which we somehow scandalously managed to get a total of 1 point from. The head to heads were a killer, never mind the implosion the 1st time round at the Rec. At least we finally set to right the Kelty hoodoo yesterday but three defeats to them were also enormously costly.

Roll on next season.

36 minutes ago, Doonhamer19 said:

Contracted for next year:
Wilson, P McKay, Brydon, Gibson
Burns, Johnstone

Reilly - although likely to be terminated??

Re-sign:
Paton, Dabrowski - even if they are unlikely to accept an offer
Cochrane, Todd, East, Logan, Hendrie - they are all good enough to start or play a significant role in League One
Connelly, Murray - I would offer Murray a contract ahead of Connelly (15 goal contributions is a good return) but I would be happy to see them both stay
McKenna, McGrory, McKechnie - important to consider the likelihood of finding anyone better for their role in the squad and their wage. McKenna has looked better at centre-back and could be an alright squad option
Muir, Cowie - promising young players
Botterill

Resign:
D McKay, Quitongo, Morrison, Ruth, Irving, McMahon, Kabia, (Reilly) - none of them look to be of the required standard, perhaps harsh on McMahon given I’d keep Muir

This would leave a squad of 17 senior/first team players so would allow room for Marvin Bartley to sign a few players he thinks could make a difference. I don’t doubt that if we had Dabrowski, Logan and Brydon from the start of the season we’d have reached the playoffs, so this current squad would only need a few quality arrivals to replace the deadwood leaving to have a chance of faring much better next season, especially given Cove Rangers are likely to be an inferior side to Dunfermline. There should certainly be a focus on getting a couple of more experienced players to complement the younger players.

Of course in practice not everyone offered a contract will stay, but that doesn’t mean the next few months can’t be lived in the blind hope that next season will be comparatively easy (until it all comes crashing down after a humiliating defeat in the first game)

So you want to keep 17 of the current squad. Really?

6 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

8 or 9 for me worth offering a deal ( I’m assuming we could offer loans and get rid of some 2 year players) 

Dabrowski, Logan, Brydon, Gibson, Wilson, Cochrane, Paton, Muir, Connolly. Rest have failed over 2 seasons or not good enough. Need height, grit and technical ability with mainly young players prepared to do it Marvs way  with skill, pace and determination. Need to let Bartley clear the decks. To be honest the only player I have any real respect for is Paton. Great attitude, I wouldn’t cry any tears over anyone else going. Last season was catastrophic and this a disaster. I have faith in MB and his approach as outlined in his most recent interview is spot on. Let’s scour Scotland, non league and bottom English league and use his contacts for loans. I would rather have the intrigue and excitement of fresh faces than this lot of tired failures. Holding onto 17 of them would guarantee at best us grabbing a playoff spot. Whatever can’t be any worse than WGs recruitment. Worst I’ve seen from any Queens manager and as for that defence. The goals against column says it all. 

11 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Well it won't end up being 17 because people like Paton and Dabrowski won't stay, and 4 of those 17 are already contracted anyway. And I wouldn't massively care if a few more of them went, but I'd still offer them contracts. Because using the McKenna example - in the last 2 games he came into the team as Brydon was suspended and he did fine. You can either get rid of him and sign another squad option who lets be honest will be of a similar quality, or you can keep him and focus more time on signing the new first team players.

I think that Bartley should be focusing on signing first team players who will relegate the average players to more of a squad role. This replacement of the deadwood with (hopefully) much better players keeps a bit of continuity within the squad while improving it at the same time. We got 5 points in the first 7 games this season; to me a big reason for this would be the large squad turnover. We essentially lost the playoffs in those games.

Take McKechnie - he's an alright footballer but has hardly set the world alight. Given his presumably low wage however and the fact he knows the rest of the squad (he does football coaching with Harry Cochrane etc) is it worth keeping him as a squad player rather than signing someone else who may or may not be better? If you replace Ruth/Reilly with a good player and then McKechnie takes their place in the squad, the quality has still improved overall even if McKechnie isn't someone you'd immediately want to re-sign.

I feel that with the pool of players available, it's not going to be possible to sign hundreds of decent alternatives, so you may as well keep those in the squad who haven't been entirely tragic throughout the whole season.

Of course I won't be heartbroken if lots of them were to go.

3 minutes ago, Doonhamer19 said:

Well it won't end up being 17 because people like Paton and Dabrowski won't stay, and 4 of those 17 are already contracted anyway. And I wouldn't massively care if a few more of them went, but I'd still offer them contracts. Because using the McKenna example - in the last 2 games he came into the team as Brydon was suspended and he did fine. You can either get rid of him and sign another squad option who lets be honest will be of a similar quality, or you can keep him and focus more time on signing the new first team players.

I think that Bartley should be focusing on signing first team players who will relegate the average players to more of a squad role. This replacement of the deadwood with (hopefully) much better players keeps a bit of continuity within the squad while improving it at the same time. We got 5 points in the first 7 games this season; to me a big reason for this would be the large squad turnover. We essentially lost the playoffs in those games.

Take McKechnie - he's an alright footballer but has hardly set the world alight. Given his presumably low wage however and the fact he knows the rest of the squad (he does football coaching with Harry Cochrane etc) is it worth keeping him as a squad player rather than signing someone else who may or may not be better? If you replace Ruth/Reilly with a good player and then McKechnie takes their place in the squad, the quality has still improved overall even if McKechnie isn't someone you'd immediately want to re-sign.

I feel that with the pool of players available, it's not going to be possible to sign hundreds of decent alternatives, so you may as well keep those in the squad who haven't been entirely tragic throughout the whole season.

Of course I won't be heartbroken if lots of them were to go.

I'm hoping McKenna is one of the first out the door tbh. He did ok in the last couple of meaningless games but lets not forget he's been pretty shite for the most part. He may well have done better alongside a CB with a bit more experience but given we have Brydon and McKay signed up next term, I'm hoping for an experienced CB to come in. If I had to choose between keeping East or McKenna it's a no-brainer. 

That's before we even mention his off field antics. 

8 minutes ago, Doonhamer19 said:

Because using the McKenna example - in the last 2 games he came into the team as Brydon was suspended and he did fine. You can either get rid of him and sign another squad option who lets be honest will be of a similar quality, or you can keep him and focus more time on signing the new first team players.

I'll be frankly astonished if 2 performances in what were pretty meaningless fixtures where he "did fine" were enough for Bartley to offer McKenna a contract. A poor player with from my point of view a shit attitude. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm hoping McKenna is one of the first out the door tbh. He did ok in the last couple of meaningless games but lets not forget he's been pretty shite for the most part. He may well have done better alongside a CB with a bit more experience but given we have Brydon and McKay signed up next term, I'm hoping for an experienced CB to come in. If I had to choose between keeping East or McKenna it's a no-brainer. 

That's before we even mention his off field antics. 

"off field antics"? I'm almost afraid to ask. Unless we're talking about the time he had a beer after being subbed at Nithsdale Wanderers in a low key reserve game. In which case that's being blown out of all proportion.