The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

Also from reading that report, would Dan Pybus be a call for central midfield in a former players poll?  See he's playing for York City in the Fifth Tier in England now.

If the category was "Top 11 players who flattered to deceive" then he'd absolutely be in my central midfield. 

Interesting interview with Cochrane. He seems happy enough to stay if an offer is made it would appear. Obviously I think we're screwed if a bigger club were to come in but he could have evaded the question completely signalling he had no interest in staying. 

Also interesting to hear him say he asked to play further forward. His best performances have absolutely been in front of the back 4 but if him being moved forward could accommodate him and Wilson you have to imagine we'd go with it. 

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Interesting interview with Cochrane. He seems happy enough to stay if an offer is made it would appear. Obviously I think we're screwed if a bigger club were to come in but he could have evaded the question completely signalling he had no interest in staying. 

Also interesting to hear him say he asked to play further forward. His best performances have absolutely been in front of the back 4 but if him being moved forward could accommodate him and Wilson you have to imagine we'd go with it. 

I think a deal similar to what Wilson got last year makes sense for both parties. Hopefully we get him on a two year deal with a break clause if we don’t get promoted next year. I think he personally needs another year with us as well, you’ve seen a huge difference in him since he’s been playing more consistently.

6 hours ago, QoS99 said:

I think a deal similar to what Wilson got last year makes sense for both parties. Hopefully we get him on a two year deal with a break clause if we don’t get promoted next year. I think he personally needs another year with us as well, you’ve seen a huge difference in him since he’s been playing more consistently.

Read this about McKenna’s contract a few times on here but never seen any “proof” as such. I think it’s just p&b noise. 

On 29/04/2023 at 11:39, 19QOS19 said:

If the category was "Top 11 players who flattered to deceive" then he'd absolutely be in my central midfield. 

Pybus ... loads of effort and application ... alas, no end product (be it an effective forward pass or effort on target).  Remove from wish list and move on please.

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Thing is, Harry can be really creative and has "match-vision" that other average players lack.  Just wish he could stay fit for longer.  That said, I'd offer him a two year deal.  He does need an "enforcer" alongside him in midfield though - especially in L1.

4 hours ago, FrankReynolds said:

Read this about McKenna’s contract a few times on here but never seen any “proof” as such. I think it’s just p&b noise. 

What!!! McKenna's been offered a contract???!!!!  Never read anything about it on here. 

11 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

What!!! McKenna's been offered a contract???!!!!  Never read anything about it on here. 

Slight mix up think he means Wilson who along with Brydon P.McKay Gibson Johnstone and Burns are all contracted for next season. 

Reilly has another year but  surely will have his contract mutually cancelled he has been a huge dissapointment .

I would try to keep

Cochrane Paton Todd McKechnie Botterill Cowie Muir Connelly Murray East and  Hendrie .

The 3 Loan players would take them all if possible .

Dabrowski Logan and Kabia

I would release 

McMahon D.McKay Quitongo Ruth McKenna Morrison McGrory and Irving.

1 minute ago, Greenacres said:

Slight mix up think he means Wilson.... 

Yes, I realise this, I was being sarcastic.  No way should you mix Wilson with McKenna. Reilly will probably want away anyway to go part time, thinks he's done fire service exams. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Yes, I realise this, I was being sarcastic.  No way should you mix Wilson with McKenna. Reilly will probably want away anyway to go part time, thinks he's done fire service exams. 

Aye I'm kind of hoping Reilly can mutually terminate his contract. He's been a great servant for us and a rare success through our youth system but I think his time at this level is done. 2 goals from 11 appearances for Stenny isn't exactly worth noting. I was hoping he'd have had a (minor) Dobbie/Dumbarton type epiphany on his spell but it doesn't appear to have worked out that way. I'd imagine he'll be on decent wages for this level so I'd rather it was used elsewhere. 

On 27/04/2023 at 18:08, Skyline Drifter said:

.........presuming said bigger club is prepared to pay the compensation of course.

The compensation fee for Paton and Cochrane can we ask for what we think they are worth or is there rules to work out a fee .

Another thing does how many Loans we can have  change this season 

Edited by Greenacres

4 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Slight mix up think he means Wilson who along with Brydon P.McKay Gibson Johnstone and Burns are all contracted for next season. 

Reilly has another year but  surely will have his contract mutually cancelled he has been a huge dissapointment .

I would try to keep

Cochrane Paton Todd McKechnie Botterill Cowie Muir Connelly Murray East and  Hendrie .

The 3 Loan players would take them all if possible .

Dabrowski Logan and Kabia

I would release 

McMahon D.McKay Quitongo Ruth McKenna Morrison McGrory and Irving.

I'm surprised that you would keep 20 of this seasons squad.  Purely going by previous comments made by Bartley about the current squad being too big I would expect he is hoping to run with somewhere around 22 and certainly no more than 25 next season, so hanging on to 20 of the current lot (including the 3 current loanees) doesn't leave him much wriggle room in terms of bringing in new players.

Personally I would hope that of your list of "keeps" he doesn't consider offering new contracts to Murray and Hendrie.  I don't think we've seen enough of Botterill, Muir or Kabia to be able to judge if it's worth hanging onto them either.  Ditto Morrison (who I realise you would let go), but his record of injuries both with us and prior to joining us makes him an extremely risky re-signing.

East and McKechnie, I suppose it depends who else becomes available in the summer.  I'd like to hang onto East as a ball-playing defender but he needs someone more physical than Paul McKay alongside him.  He'd probably be okay if we play a back four and he is paired with Brydon I suppose.  McKechnie blows hot and cold and I'm not entirely convinced there is much of a player there if you take away his pace.

I feel a bit sorry for McMahon, who was touted as "one for the future" by Wullie etc.  Unfortunately for him I think that owing to the quality of our main three central midfielders that that future has come and gone without him making any impact, so it's probably best for him to move on.

I hope we can keep Dabrowski, but if we do, is there a need for both Botterill and Cowie to be re-signed?  I'd prefer to go with 2 first team keepers with the option of an emergency loan if injury was to strike one of them down.

Edited by Slipmat

I'm expecting the cull from this squad to be brutal - I don't think Marvin's going to risk his burgeoning management career on any "might be OK's".  He's seen enough of what our current lot (don't) have to offer so he'll have made up his mind by now.  So my guess would be:

Keep - Brydon, Cochrane (hopefully), Wilson, Todd, McKechnie (yes, not the finished article but my guess is that given the amount of recent game time he's had MB thinks there is something there he can coach), Logan (if available), Dabrowski (if available) and Gibson.

Ditch - the rest.  Haven't seen Botterill so not sure if he's good enough, he might be OK but I don't know.

Minimum needs - A good keeper (if KD not available and GB deemed not up to the No.1 role), a dominant no-messing centre-back pairing, a midfield enforcer, a creative midfielder (Cochrane/Wilson always get injured) and two strikers who know where the opponent's net is (I'm sure Paton is off to pastures new).

The honeymoon period is over now for Bartley, this is his first squad build - and he has to get it right.  He's not going to take chances - he'll be looking for good solid appointments/loans I reckon.  I'm hoping this could be good - fingers crossed.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We need a spine.

That is likely to mean several key signings, given who we've got, and who we'll probably lose.

Agree. A reliable goalkeeper, experienced centre half, a wide player with a bit of flair/pace and 15/20+ goal striker if Ruari is away are the key I feel. 

Brydon is a good prospect, and I expect would come on leaps and bounds with a Benedictus type alongside him. Our defence has been a shambles and must be a priority. Dunfermline have shown how important that is to winning this league.  

7 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

You’re right. I wasn’t mixing Wilson with McKenna though, my mind was behind a decade for a moment and I was thinking of Stephen McKenna but meant Wilson. 

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We need a spine.

That is likely to mean several key signings, given who we've got, and who we'll probably lose.

Definitely need a spine we have to many technical players who don't like the physical side hence why we get easily  bullied .

Need more height in the team as well 3 big physical experienced  players right from the back to the front of the team .

Connor Sammon has always impressed me .

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I'm expecting the cull from this squad to be brutal - I don't think Marvin's going to risk his burgeoning management career on any "might be OK's".  He's seen enough of what our current lot (don't) have to offer so he'll have made up his mind by now.  So my guess would be:

Keep - Brydon, Cochrane (hopefully), Wilson, Todd, McKechnie (yes, not the finished article but my guess is that given the amount of recent game time he's had MB thinks there is something there he can coach), Logan (if available), Dabrowski (if available) and Gibson.

Ditch - the rest.  Haven't seen Botterill so not sure if he's good enough, he might be OK but I don't know.

Minimum needs - A good keeper (if KD not available and GB deemed not up to the No.1 role), a dominant no-messing centre-back pairing, a midfield enforcer, a creative midfielder (Cochrane/Wilson always get injured) and two strikers who know where the opponent's net is (I'm sure Paton is off to pastures new).

The honeymoon period is over now for Bartley, this is his first squad build - and he has to get it right.  He's not going to take chances - he'll be looking for good solid appointments/loans I reckon.  I'm hoping this could be good - fingers crossed.

Agree with what you say. 

The cull needs to be brutal and we need to terminate the second year on both Reilly and P McKay deals if at all possible. Personally I would let McKechnie go but the fact that he has pace might swing his retention.

I thought we had a good crop of local youngsters this year but clearly that was a figment of my imagination. WG constantly talked them up and then never gave them a look in so that speaks volumes. Other than Lewis and occasional outings for Irving the rest have never had a look in. Begs the question if they can’t feature in the midst of a really poor season then perhaps they are simply not good enough? I haven’t seen enough of them - others will be better placed to judge. All I can say is that McMahon started away to Montrose, played well, was one of our better players and never saw the light of day again??

13 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Definitely need a spine we have to many technical players who don't like the physical side hence why we get easily  bullied .

Need more height in the team as well 3 big physical experienced  players right from the back to the front of the team .

Connor Sammon has always impressed me .

Need a younger version of Sammon. A 36 year journeyman. No thanks. Hope Marvs English non league/lower league trawl gives us more of the obileye ilk.