The Queen of the South thread

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Had no idea he was on our books. It probably explains his slightly OTT celebration on the opening day of the season. Wouldn't mind us taking a punt on him now tbh. 

😆it was literally last season! Although having double checked this morning he actually only made the bench twice. I thought he'd been 1st team involved more often. Obviously fooled by a combination of being involved but not listed on matchday and seeing him for the reserves a few times.

And he's barely played for Clyde as the season moved on and their fans think he's nowhere near good enough for them. McDonald's not League 1 level.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

😆it was literally last season! Although having double checked this morning he actually only made the bench twice. I thought he'd been 1st team involved more often. Obviously fooled by a combination of being involved but not listed on matchday and seeing him for the reserves a few times.

And he's barely played for Clyde as the season moved on and their fans think he's nowhere near good enough for them. McDonald's not League 1 level.

Watched the reserves a few times last season as well and never saw him. Unless I attended games he wasn't there/just never noticed him. 

Aye he's been frozen out at Clyde it seems but then I think Dobbie would look average in that side. I'd be happy enough for him to come in as 3rd/4th striker tbh. I'd certainly have him ahead of the youth players we've filled the bench with this season. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Watched the reserves a few times last season as well and never saw him. Unless I attended games he wasn't there/just never noticed him. 

Aye he's been frozen out at Clyde it seems but then I think Dobbie would look average in that side. I'd be happy enough for him to come in as 3rd/4th striker tbh. I'd certainly have him ahead of the youth players we've filled the bench with this season. 

I'd take Ross Irving over Olly McDonald any day of any week. Not sure who else you are referring to as "youth players"? Ben Johnstone's been on a bench a lot I guess. It's not the same position though.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'd take Ross Irving over Olly McDonald any day of any week. Not sure who else you are referring to as "youth players"? Ben Johnstone's been on a bench a lot I guess. It's not the same position though.

Scrap that. Having looked I'm getting him mixed up with Cunningham. 

Johnstone, McMahon, Burns and to a lesser extent Ruth and Muir. Young rather than youth would have been more appropriate. I just hope MB signs players who he feels he can call on at any time. There's been a few times throughout the season where pur bench looks healthy but the reality was about 3/4 of them were never getting called on. 

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Scrap that. Having looked I'm getting him mixed up with Cunningham. 

Johnstone, McMahon, Burns and to a lesser extent Ruth and Muir. Young rather than youth would have been more appropriate. I just hope MB signs players who he feels he can call on at any time. There's been a few times throughout the season where pur bench looks healthy but the reality was about 3/4 of them were never getting called on. 

Ah, Cunningham's far better right enough.

Jay Burns has been on the bench four times all season I think, he was only 16 until Christmas. Johnstone only turned 18 in September. These boys were largely involved to get experience rather than expected to contribute this season (Lewis Gibson's miles ahead of schedule to be fair but I don't think that should reflect badly on the other two - Burns has been superb for Abbey Vale who are likely on their way to winning the South League). You can only use 5 subs, I don't think 9 subs should be allowed, it's excessive, but if we're going to have extra subs we may as well use them to keep young players involved if they aren't out on loan. I'd accept that with McMahon about to turn 22 and Muir recently turned 21, they need to actually be contributing or move on. I do tend to forget that Ruth is only 21 also given his senior experience before he joined us. I'd like to have seen more of McMahon and Muir but ultimately two managers have given them little game time. McMahon's unlucky in that central midfield is a strong position with Todd, Wilson, Cochrane and McGrory all ahead of him if all are fit. I know three of them have had injuries regularly but McMahon really needs at least two out at once to have any chance of getting on.

36 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Edit - And Queen's Park have Lee Kilday and Dom Thomas (and currently Shields on loan). I'd have two of those back in a heartbeat, and wouldn't be unhappy to get all three. Who didn't you rate? Have I missed someone else playing there?

It was mainly Kilday. Thought his best days were behind him when he left us. Was also thinking of Mikey Doyle but see I'm out of date on that one!  Dom Thomas hasn't really gone on to be as good as I thought he was going to be.

48 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Zander Clark

Max Johnston
Ayo Obileye
Kevin Holt
Jordan Marshall

Dom Thomas
Owen Moxon
Adam Frizzell
Greg Kiltie

Nicky Clark
Lyndon Dykes

Subs:
Robby McCrorie
Barry Maguire
Daragh O'Connor
Lee Kilday
Wullie Gibson
Andy Murdoch
Aidan Fitzpatrick
Connor Shields
Chris Kane

Seeing Chris Kane at the end of your list reminded me that the other player we all agreed on was Jason Kerr. Thought he'd have been a Scotland international by now.

7 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

Seeing Chris Kane at the end of your list reminded me that the other player we all agreed on was Jason Kerr. Thought he'd have been a Scotland international by now.

Doh! I knew I'd miss someone obvious. Will edit. Jason Kerr is the best central defender we've had here this century! Like you I thought he'd have been in international contention by now. Don't think landing up at a struggling Wigan side has helped him. Nor has the fact we've suddenly gone from barely having a centre back worthy of the name to having about 6 or 7 internationally competent ones (Hanley, Hendrie, Tierney, McKenna, Cooper, Porteous, even McTominay sitting in there)

There was always a chance I'd forget someone now playing in England. I did actually consider picking Ben Liddle such was the dearth of midfield options. I put Murdoch ahead of him though, just.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Doh! I knew I'd miss someone obvious. Will edit. Jason Kerr is the best central defender we've had here this century! Like you I thought he'd have been in international contention by now. Don't think landing up at a struggling Wigan side has helped him.

There was always a chance I'd forget someone now playing in England. I did actually consider picking Ben Liddle such was the dearth of midfield options. I put Murdoch ahead of him though, just.

We've also both forgot Issah Jones (I had anyway, I assume he'd be near your team?).

2 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

We've also both forgot Issah Jones (I had anyway, I assume he'd be near your team?).

Damn. Goes off to edit again...............................

And I'm very sorely tempted to put Sol Brynn in ahead of McCrorie as sub keeper. That's a very close call.

Zander Clark

Max Johnston
Ayo Obileye
Jason Kerr
Kevin Holt

Dom Thomas
Owen Moxon
Joe Thomson
Izzy Jones

Nicky Clark
Lyndon Dykes

That's some team to be fair when you look at it. That eleven might get 3rd in the Scottish Premiership.

Assuming Moxon goes to the Championship in the summer as expected then only Thomas and Holt are outside "top" level (I'm including the English Championship as top level). And they are top end Championship. Joe Thomson is playing at the very top in Northern Ireland.

3 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

Maybe Nicky Lowe?  On the whole though, I don't think there's many of our past midfielders I'd rate above Josh Todd.

Great player, but not currently in the senior leagues (with Clydebank) and not remotely close to being fit either. A fit Nicky Low would definitely be partner to Moxon.

6 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Joe Thomson is playing in Ireland, probably a similar level to Frizzell to be honest. But for injury he’d definitely be the other central midfield pick. 

Fair comment. I knew he was in Northern Ireland but wasn't really aware of whether he was fit. Looking it up he appears to have been fairly fit over the last 3 years though so should be ahead of Frizzell.

20 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As a disappointing season winds to a close, and Queens very unlikely to make playoffs, a wee quiz of sorts for anyone interested. I remember in the early 90's when you'd struggle to name 10 ex QoS players still playing league level football. A vast improvement in our own level combined with a much freer movement of players these days, and a lot more loans, mean that there are an awful lot more now. I had a look over the weekend. I think there are 63 ex QoS players elsewhere in the SPFL and only 8 league clubs who don't have a player on their books to have played for us, or at least been listed in a 1st team squad if they didn't get on the pitch. I'm not promising I haven't missed any though.........

1 - Can you name the 8 teams who don't have any former QoS player?

2 - If you want to get more complex, feel free to name ex QoS players at the other 33 clubs? I think the most at any one club is 6.

Caveats - Many of the players were only on loan to us and 3 goalkeepers and 4 outfield players never actually got on the pitch for us but were on 1st team teamlines. Where a player is currently on loan I've listed them under their parent club, not current loan one.

12 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Well, after an evening's brainstraining, and going by your caveats, for Q1 I'm going with Celtic, Ross County, ICT, Dundee Utd, Stirling, Stenny, Montrose & Elgin as the eight.

This is assuming you are classing Gavin Reilly as being a Queens player and Big Kev as a Hibs one.  If not take out Stenny and put in Hibs!

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

7/8. Its not Stenny.

Anyway, returning to this, anyone want to have a stab at the 8th one unless I've missed somebody?

@Slipmat was correct with Celtic, Ross County, Dundee United, ICT, Montrose, Stirling Albion & Elgin City.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fair comment. I knew he was in Northern Ireland but wasn't really aware of whether he was fit. Looking it up he appears to have been fairly fit over the last 3 years though so should be ahead of Frizzell.

I'd still take Todd (and Wilson) ahead of both of them though.

Just now, Biblemaster said:

There have been a few clips come up on my YouTube channel of the 2018/2019 season recently, Wilson and Todd were superb. How the Hell did we nearly get relegated that season?

We should have been in the promotion playoffs with that squad.

The answer though is a combination of:

• The whole defence wasn't really good enough.
  • Alan Martin under-performed and neither Leighfield nor Mehmet were any better when they played.
  • Centre backs weren't good enough and we never really settled on any pair from Fordyce, Semple, Doyle and Maguire. And Brownlie was out almost the whole season injured.
  • As much as I liked him, Scott Mercer probably wasn't good enough at right back either. In truth only Jordan Marshall on the left (and Brownlie when he got fit for the playoffs) were actually good enough.
  • Josh Todd and Nicky Low both got injured in January. We never saw Low again and Todd was a shadow of the player he was pre-injury when he returned for the last month or so.
  • Dobbie missed the months of December and April with a hamstring (and still scored 43 goals!)
  • Andy Stirling was an absolute sand dancer too. Lots of skill, no end product.

When Allan Johnston came in for the playoffs, he restored Martin and Brownlie to the side straight away, had a fit Dobbie to call on and put his trust in Connor Murray over Stirling and we fairly battered through them.

54 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Anyway, returning to this, anyone want to have a stab at the 8th one unless I've missed somebody?

@Slipmat was correct with Celtic, Ross County, Dundee United, ICT, Montrose, Stirling Albion & Elgin City.

Honestly can't think of an eighth club.

I may be wrong here, but I reckon to name one ex-Queens man at each of the other 33 - (or 34?) - I'd say:  Rangers (McCrorie) / Aberdeen (Ritchie) / Hearts (Z.Clark) / Hibs (Dabrowski) / St Mirren (Kiltie) / Livvy (Obileye) / Motherwell (Shields) / St Johnstone (N.Clark) / Killie (I.Cameron) / Dundee (Marshall) / The Glasgow Gretna (Kilday) / Partick (Holt) / Ayr (Murdoch) / Morton (O'Connor) / Raith (MacDonald) / Arbroath (Hilson) / Hamilton (Doyle) / Cove (Fox) / Dunfermline (Todorov) / Falkirk (Oliver) / Airdrie (Fordyce) / Alloa (Durnan) / Edinburgh (Jacobs) / Kelty (Lyon) / Clyde (McDonald) / Peterhead (McCarthy) / Dumbarton (Buchanan) / Annan (W.Gibson) / East Fife (Slattery) / Forfar (Nditi) / Stenny (C.Lyle) / Stranraer (Robertson) / Bonnyrigg (K.Smith) / Albion (Leighfield)

Of course it's possible that at least one of the above are no longer on the books of the clubs I'm assumed they are currently contracted to and I've added them erroneously. 

Still struggling to name the mystery goalkeeper who never made an appearance!