The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

I’d be looking at the Bevan kid at Albion rovers as well, 18 years old and been amongst the goals a fair bit recently. Might be raw but for me, we should be trying to pick one or two of these type to try improve and move on for 💰 

also agree Gibson far better option to Mckechnie, just don’t get the fuss with the latter at all

I don’t get the McKechnie selection at all. Has had a couple of good games but in the striker role his hold up play is poor mainly due to a poor first touch and his game awareness is weak. Has pace but decent defenders usually see him off pretty easily.Gibson on the other hand has quality and can make and score goals a trait that you can’t readily say exists in too many of his colleagues.

As a disappointing season winds to a close, and Queens very unlikely to make playoffs, a wee quiz of sorts for anyone interested. I remember in the early 90's when you'd struggle to name 10 ex QoS players still playing league level football. A vast improvement in our own level combined with a much freer movement of players these days, and a lot more loans, mean that there are an awful lot more now. I had a look over the weekend. I think there are 63 ex QoS players elsewhere in the SPFL and only 8 league clubs who don't have a player on their books to have played for us, or at least been listed in a 1st team squad if they didn't get on the pitch. I'm not promising I haven't missed any though.........

1 - Can you name the 8 teams who don't have any former QoS player?

2 - If you want to get more complex, feel free to name ex QoS players at the other 33 clubs? I think the most at any one club is 6.

Caveats - Many of the players were only on loan to us and 3 goalkeepers and 4 outfield players never actually got on the pitch for us but were on 1st team teamlines. Where a player is currently on loan I've listed them under their parent club, not current loan one.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

36 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As a disappointing season winds to a close, and Queens very unlikely to make playoffs, a wee quiz of sorts for anyone interested. I remember in the early 90's when you'd struggle to name 10 ex QoS players still playing league level football. A vast improvement in our own level combined with a much freer movement of players these days, and a lot more loans, mean that there are an awful lot more now. I had a look over the weekend. I think there are 63 ex QoS players elsewhere in the SPFL and only 8 league clubs who don't have a player on their books to have played for us, or at least been listed in a 1st team squad if they didn't get on the pitch. I'm not promising I haven't missed any though.........

2 - If you want to get more complex, feel free to name ex QoS players at the other 33 clubs? I think the most at any one club is 5 which two clubs have.

Caveats - Many of the players were only on loan to us and 2 goalkeepers never actually got on the pitch for us but were on 1st team teamlines. Where a player is currently on loan I've listed them under their parent club, not current loan one.

We have a few - Fordyce, McCabe, Hutton and Rae. I think that's it unless there was a brief loan spell from someone else.

Edit: I see the mighty Salim was at Queens, never knew that. Did he actually play? Seems to have been registered with half the clubs in Scotland and barely kicked a ball at any of them.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

18 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

We have a few - Fordyce, McCabe, Hutton and Rae. I think that's it unless there was a brief loan spell from someone else.

Edit: I see the mighty Salim was at Queens, never knew that. Did he actually play? Seems to have been registered with half the clubs in Scotland and barely kicked a ball at any of them.

He was, but no he never actually played. One season as a full time apprentice, mostly spent on loan to Shotts Bon Accord, though he did get the odd listing on our subs bench, including a game at Ibrox. I've missed him on my list though! You actually have 6. You've missed one.

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Frizzell had a massively unimpressive loan spell with Queens.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

2 - If you want to get more complex, feel free to name ex QoS players at the other 33 clubs? I think the most at any one club is 6.

Caveats - Many of the players were only on loan to us and 3 goalkeepers and 3 outfield players never actually got on the pitch for us but were on 1st team teamlines. Where a player is currently on loan I've listed them under their parent club, not current loan one.

I'm guessing Annan have the six?  I can definitely think of five - Smith, Goss, Luissint, Hooper & Gibson.  Not sure if Colin McMenamin is still registered as a player in which case he'd be number six?

24 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I'm guessing Annan have the six?  I can definitely think of five - Smith, Goss, Luissint, Hooper & Gibson.  Not sure if Colin McMenamin is still registered as a player in which case he'd be number six?

It was Airdrie with the 6, which have already been named. But you're right Annan do too. I forgot Benji! McMenamin is still registered, he's been on the bench most of the season.

If we stretch to include youth players Annan have at least 7, maybe 8. Ethan Mitchell was a youth with us. Not sure if Tommy Muir might have been too?

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Caveats - Many of the players were only on loan to us and 3 goalkeepers and 3 outfield players never actually got on the pitch for us but were on 1st team teamlines. Where a player is currently on loan I've listed them under their parent club, not current loan one.

Well, after an evening's brainstraining, and going by your caveats, for Q1 I'm going with Celtic, Ross County, ICT, Dundee Utd, Stirling, Stenny, Montrose & Elgin as the eight.

This is assuming you are classing Gavin Reilly as being a Queens player and Big Kev as a Hibs one.  If not take out Stenny and put in Hibs!

I won't even attempt to answer Q2.   My head is hurting already from trying to work out who the three keepers never to appear were!  Tom Ritchie is definitely one of them, another may or may not be Curtis Lyle, the third I have absolutely no idea!  Outfield non-appearers I'll take a stab at Salim K-A, Benji & Sonkur although I'm not sure if the latter was ever listed for the first team.

43 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Well, after an evening's brainstraining, and going by your caveats, for Q1 I'm going with Celtic, Ross County, ICT, Dundee Utd, Stirling, Stenny, Montrose & Elgin as the eight.

This is assuming you are classing Gavin Reilly as being a Queens player and Big Kev as a Hibs one.  If not take out Stenny and put in Hibs!

I won't even attempt to answer Q2.   My head is hurting already from trying to work out who the three keepers never to appear were!  Tom Ritchie is definitely one of them, another may or may not be Curtis Lyle, the third I have absolutely no idea!  Outfield non-appearers I'll take a stab at Salim K-A, Benji & Sonkur although I'm not sure if the latter was ever listed for the first team.

7/8. Its not Stenny, precisely because of Curtis Lyle who you later mention. 

Your 3 outfield players are all correct (Sonkur was a sub once) but there are actually 4 outfield I think because I'd forgotten Benji when I made the original post. Your 2 keepers are correct too. I'd say the 3rd is more obvious than Lyle who I expected most to have forgotten about.

I left my full notes in the office though so I'll need to check tomorrow.

Just watching the Montrose highlights on YouTube. Brydon did push the player on the back, not clip his heels as I originally thought, and I do think the referee was going for his red card straight away, the only reason it was delayed was that Brydon was walking away from him.

Funnily enough, we started to discuss what the best team would be of ex-Queens players still playing on Saturday.  Didn't get very far though, Zander Clark, Nikki Clark and one who won't qualify for Skyline's list, Owen Moxon, where about as far as we got!  We were wondering how Queens Park are doing so well with a few ex-Queens players that we didn't really rate!

32 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

Just watching the Montrose highlights on YouTube. Brydon did push the player on the back, not clip his heels as I originally thought, and I do think the referee was going for his red card straight away, the only reason it was delayed was that Brydon was walking away from him.

and he also starts immediately groping for it in his top right pocket but eventually produces it from his top left one. He went to the wrong pocket initially. He's absolutely reaching for it as soon as he's awarded the penalty though.

9 hours ago, David W said:

Did Olly McDonald ever make the bench? 

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He did. Lots of times. That's the 4th outfield player who never actually made a competitive appearance.

Had no idea he was on our books. It probably explains his slightly OTT celebration on the opening day of the season. Wouldn't mind us taking a punt on him now tbh. 

2 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

Funnily enough, we started to discuss what the best team would be of ex-Queens players still playing on Saturday.  Didn't get very far though, Zander Clark, Nikki Clark and one who won't qualify for Skyline's list, Owen Moxon, where about as far as we got!  We were wondering how Queens Park are doing so well with a few ex-Queens players that we didn't really rate!

Moxey voted into the English League Two Team of the Season at the weekend I see. Outstanding player and as I've always said, Gary Naysmith's biggest mistake in charge was to let him leave on a free. He'll most likely be in the English Championship next season.

Based on current ability rather than at their best (otherwise I might for instance have Jamie MacDonald above Clark):

Zander Clark

Max Johnston
Ayo Obileye
Jason Kerr
Kevin Holt

Dom Thomas
Owen Moxon
Joe Thomson
Izzy Jones

Nicky Clark
Lyndon Dykes

Subs:
Robby McCrorie
Jordan Marshall
Barry Maguire
Daragh O'Connor
Wullie Gibson
Adam Frizzell
Greg Kiltie
Connor Shields
Chris Kane

Real dearth of midfielders actually. Loads of goalkeepers (I've not included MacDonald, Josh Rae, Kevin Dabrowski who were all very good before you even talk about ones who weren't that great). An handful of wingers, some strikers but almost no central midfielders.

Edit - And Queen's Park have Lee Kilday and Dom Thomas (and currently Shields on loan). I'd have two of those back in a heartbeat, and wouldn't be unhappy to get all three. Who didn't you rate? Have I missed someone else playing there?