The Queen of the South thread

13 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Well me of all doubters says Bartley has to build his own squad. Not excited by the players we have been linked with. Lower teams than ourselves we will be hoping he has some experienced lined up also. 

Tbf I wasn't blown away with Logan signing and Brydon was meh. I've been impressed with both of them though so I'll give it time. 

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Tbf I wasn't blown away with Logan signing and Brydon was meh. I've been impressed with both of them though so I'll give it time. 

I agree Brydon has proved a signing with potential and Logan looks like he can improve with coaching. I just feel we need a squad with characters if even only 1 or 2 like Dunfermline this year.

9 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Out of interest, does anyone know where we would be in the league table since MB took over? 

Points in games since January 7th. 

1. Dunfermline 32

2. Falkirk 26

3. Airdrie 24

4. Alloa 22

5. Queens 22

6. Montrose 15

7. Edinburgh 12

8. Clyde 10

9. Kelty 9

10. Peterhead 7

4 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

1. Dunfermline 32

2. Falkirk 26

3. Airdrie 24

4. Alloa 22

5. Queens 22

6. Montrose 15

7. Edinburgh 12

8. Clyde 10

9. Kelty 9

10. Peterhead 7

Pretty outstanding considering the players WG signed

On 21/04/2023 at 18:08, Skyline Drifter said:

Talk us through all the Dumbarton games you've seen this season to draw that conclusion please? Have you EVER seen Finlay Gray play? Two years ago would you have been equally disappointed in a suggestion we were interested in Ruari Paton?

(Note - Not saying the rumour is true, I wouldn't know at this stage).

Do you think I would comment without watching any highlights of both players .

Have seen nothing to suggest they are any better than what we have just now .

Ruari Paton looked good in highlights before we signed him you could see we had made a good signing .

Think I posted that a few years back .

6 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

1. Dunfermline 32

2. Falkirk 26

3. Airdrie 24

4. Alloa 22

5. Queens 22

6. Montrose 15

7. Edinburgh 12

8. Clyde 10

9. Kelty 9

10. Peterhead 7

Did you use an app/website to see the table on a specific date? Statto used to be very good for that. 

1 hour ago, sneeuq said:

Pretty outstanding considering the players WG signed

When Gibson was sacked, Queens were ahead of Kelty in 7th place and 6 points off the playoffs. Marvin Bartley has come in and added 4 players to his squad, and is currently ahead of Kelty in 7th place and 6 points off the playoffs. I'm not sure I would class that as "outstanding".

There may have been a slight upturn in performance but the comparative results between the two managers has been extremely similar, as @Artemis pointed out in a previous post. Even in individual games WG and MB have fared similarly. For instance, both beat Edinburgh and Peterhead twice but also dropped points against Kelty and Clyde. Each of them picked up points versus Airdrie.

As you said this is probably a result of the style of player Wullie Gibson signed (targetting a back 5 system) being more effective against particular teams. For this reason I don't think any judgement, positive or negative, can be made about Marvin Bartley himself until he has played a few games with a full squad he has assembled himself.

Bartley has a major rebuild job on his hand. We have been linked with a lot of lower league players I feel that won't progres us unless linked with experience and know how. Orsi and Gray from Dumbarton. Gray is worth a punt. 100% Robertson and Mutch from Edinburgh not sure. Reilly from Albion again worth a punt. Bartley has to get his experience right to get the right blend. Reilly, McKay and Brydon contracted. But would only keep Brydon. Why has Gibson been ignored in last few weeks he is far superior to McKechnie.

53 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Bartley has a major rebuild job on his hand. We have been linked with a lot of lower league players I feel that won't progres us unless linked with experience and know how. Orsi and Gray from Dumbarton. Gray is worth a punt. 100% Robertson and Mutch from Edinburgh not sure. Reilly from Albion again worth a punt. Bartley has to get his experience right to get the right blend. Reilly, McKay and Brydon contracted. But would only keep Brydon. Why has Gibson been ignored in last few weeks he is far superior to McKechnie.

"Far superior" is a  bit of a stretch, they're fairly even imo. 

1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

Why has Gibson been ignored in last few weeks he is far superior to McKechnie.

Given your 'insider' knowledge on everything else I'm surprised you are not aware he's been injured / carrying an injury for weeks.

49 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

"Far superior" is a  bit of a stretch, they're fairly even imo. 

They bring different things. McKechnie's quicker, but statistically in isolation Gibson's miles ahead. Gibson has 16 starts and 12 sub appearances. He's scored 4 and has 5 assists. McKechnie has 16 starts and 10 sub appearances. He's scored two. I'm not sure how many assists he has, not enough to feature in any top assists lists for the division certainly, definitely less than 5. I can't actually think of an assist off the top of my head but I expect there's been one or two.

3 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Why has Gibson been ignored in last few weeks he is far superior to McKechnie.

Bartley has already made the point that Gibson has played too many games for his age and latterly he's  been injured. 

It's pretty obvious why he's been "ignored".

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

A slight moan about our new PA man, who on the whole is doing OK imo. When reading out ht scores, referring to the Scottish Premiership as the "SPL", he missed our half-time substitution, and giving the score of the game every time a goal is scored and at half time and at full time. It wouldn't be Sunday morning without starting with a good moan about something. 

18 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

I’d be looking at the Bevan kid at Albion rovers as well, 18 years old and been amongst the goals a fair bit recently. Might be raw but for me, we should be trying to pick one or two of these type to try improve and move on for 💰 

also agree Gibson far better option to Mckechnie, just don’t get the fuss with the latter at all