The Queen of the South thread

McCaig was a bit odd, if I remember correctly, he disappeared and then some time later turned up in a Notts County top on the internet.  I don't think he was anywhere inbetween, later went to Livingston on trial and then to Albion Rovers.  Used to keep tabs on former player on the old OS  http://qosarchive.co.uk/tracker.htm

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And I'd forgotten all about the name Steven Skinner until right now let alone had any clue he ever played for Carlisle.

How could you forget Steven Skinner 😛? He was my "Big Scoop" (along with Rob Lee 😮) when my site was part of The Rivals Network. The guy who ran the Stirling Albion site got in touch with me to tell me Queens were going to be signing him from Carlisle.  I've no idea how a guy running a Stirling Albion website knew in advance that Queens were going to be signing a youth player from Carlisle!

Edited by Biblemaster
Spelling correction

Ah the Rivals network. Was that the lot who were going to turn off our site (and all the lower league sites) due to perceived lack of traffic and some hero posted a message on pretty much every site he could find to drum up support for us?

3 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

How could you forget Steven Skinner 😛? He was my "Big Scoop" (along with Rob Lee 😮) when my site was part of The Rivals Network. The guy who ran the Stirling Albion site got in touch with me to tell me Queens were going to be signing him from Carlisle.  I've no idea how a guy running a Stirling Albion website knew in advance that Queens were going to be signing a youth player from Carlisle!

Skinner ended up as chairman / owner of the rather dodgy Celtic Nation FC who blew a fortune for a club at level 9 of the English pyramid on the likes of Colin McMenamin, Wullie Gibson, Peter Murphy, Greg Fleming, Paul Arnison, Jon McShane, Jon-Paul McGovern, Andy Aitken, Steven Hetherington, Tony Hopper etc etc and employed managers such as Mick Wadsworth & Willie McStay before imploding in spectacular Gretna-esque fashion within a couple of seasons.

Speaking of unexpected career moves of ex-Queens players, I recently heard that Jesse Akubuine, who I believe played around 1 minute for the first team, is now a fashion model.

Edited by Slipmat

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

Ah the Rivals network. Was that the lot who were going to turn off our site (and all the lower league sites) due to perceived lack of traffic and some hero posted a message on pretty much every site he could find to drum up support for us?

Queens were in the 3rd tier at the time, whatever they were calling it then. Rivals decided to stop supporting anything below the top 2 leagues in Scotland, so we were dropped.

Our Message Board was actually one of the busiest Rivals Boards. Arbroath were in the league above us, but their board was hardly used, so some Queens fans decided to take it over!

I got told off for it, even although I had nothing to do with it!

20 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

Queens were in the 3rd tier at the time, whatever they were calling it then. Rivals decided to stop supporting anything below the top 2 leagues in Scotland, so we were dropped.

Our Message Board was actually one of the busiest Rivals Boards. Arbroath were in the league above us, but their board was hardly used, so some Queens fans decided to take it over!

I got told off for it, even although I had nothing to do with it!

I was banned for spamming! Was worth it though. 

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Skinner ended up as chairman / owner of the rather dodgy Celtic Nation FC who blew a fortune for a club at level 9 of the English pyramid on the likes of Colin McMenamin, Wullie Gibson, Peter Murphy, Greg Fleming, Paul Arnison, Jon McShane, Jon-Paul McGovern, Andy Aitken, Steven Hetherington, Tony Hopper etc etc and employed managers such as Mick Wadsworth & Willie McStay before imploding in spectacular Gretna-esque fashion within a couple of seasons.

Speaking of unexpected career moves of ex-Queens players, I recently heard that Jesse Akubuine, who I believe played around 1 minute for the first team, is now a fashion model.

I thought he was player / manager / chairman but not owner as some Canadian Irishman owned it but I see he did take ownership towards the end when the guy got bored of his daft plaything.

I didn't know about Jesse becoming a model. It's not the first time a Queens player has done that though. Jay Munro chucked the reserves about 6 or 7 years ago to become a full time model. He seems to be fairly famous in model circles now. Apparently was a borderline Love Island contender too, or maybe he was on it. I've never seen it in my life but I'm assuming I'd have heard if he actually got on it!

23 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

Dale Carrick's Dad is from Dumfries but Dale was actually born and raised in Edinburgh (or there abouts).  He was a Queens fan as a boy though and I believe played a couple of games for the supporters club, although I think his Uncle Scott may have forced him into it!

The bit about the supporters team is definitely correct - I was the other half of a deadly (not that deadly) striking partnership with him in one game. Stevie Mallan played for them at least once as well.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I thought he was player / manager / chairman but not owner as some Canadian Irishman owned it but I see he did take ownership towards the end when the guy got bored of his daft plaything.

I didn't know about Jesse becoming a model. It's not the first time a Queens player has done that though. Jay Munro chucked the reserves about 6 or 7 years ago to become a full time model. He seems to be fairly famous in model circles now. Apparently was a borderline Love Island contender too, or maybe he was on it. I've never seen it in my life but I'm assuming I'd have heard if he actually got on it!

Liar

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Big Davie Craig!

13 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Cochrane looks like he’ll be off based on an interview he’s just done. Disappointed personally as I think he is our best midfielder.

Destination unknown? Sure he was rumoured to be going to Ireland after last season. Another player that didn't have real backing of the fans I would say, me anyway, but has since shown to be a decent player at this level. Not been helped by injuries I think. Would keep if possible. 

24 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Cochrane looks like he’ll be off based on an interview he’s just done. Disappointed personally as I think he is our best midfielder.

Link? 

Disappointed if he goes but if Wilson is staying it'll soften the blow. I think it's one or the other in our side tbh so am expecting one to go. If both go it'll be a massive blow though. 

34 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Shame, think he's a clever and creative player.  Probably lacks a bit in physicality and needs an enforcer type with him in midfield.  One of the few I'd have kept.

He'll have been reading the runes though - not guaranteed game time under Marvin.

Edited by Otis Blue

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Link? 

Disappointed if he goes but if Wilson is staying it'll soften the blow. I think it's one or the other in our side tbh so am expecting one to go. If both go it'll be a massive blow though. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/what-now-for-harry-cochrane-former-hearts-prodigy-speaks-on-his-future-and-fatherhood-with-his-contract-due-to-expire-4120199

36 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Link? 

I think if we plan to ditch the Back 3/5 next season and move to a 4 and try and dominate teams more we need a player more like Cochrane over Wilson.

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Cheers. Tbf it doesn't read like he's definitely away. He's only said what every other player in the side (or any side) will be thinking: if a bigger club comes in they'll be away. 

Cochrane:

I’m hoping to look up the leagues and get playing football at a bit of a higher level. Maybe the top five leagues is the ultimate goal

Nothing wrong with having a sense of ambition I suppose, but that would be some step up - from not managing to get into the starting eleven for the past half dozen games at Queen of the South to a top flight gig in England, Germany, Italy, Spain or France!  😆