The Queen of the South thread

49 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Honestly can't think of an eighth club.

I may be wrong here, but I reckon to name one ex-Queens man at each of the other 33 - (or 34?) - I'd say:  Rangers (McCrorie) / Aberdeen (Ritchie) / Hearts (Z.Clark) / Hibs (Dabrowski) / St Mirren (Kiltie) / Livvy (Obileye) / Motherwell (Shields) / St Johnstone (N.Clark) / Killie (I.Cameron) / Dundee (Marshall) / The Glasgow Gretna (Kilday) / Partick (Holt) / Ayr (Murdoch) / Morton (O'Connor) / Raith (MacDonald) / Arbroath (Hilson) / Hamilton (Doyle) / Cove (Fox) / Dunfermline (Todorov) / Falkirk (Oliver) / Airdrie (Fordyce) / Alloa (Durnan) / Edinburgh (Jacobs) / Kelty (Lyon) / Clyde (McDonald) / Peterhead (McCarthy) / Dumbarton (Buchanan) / Annan (W.Gibson) / East Fife (Slattery) / Forfar (Nditi) / Stenny (C.Lyle) / Stranraer (Robertson) / Bonnyrigg (K.Smith) / Albion (Leighfield)

Of course it's possible that at least one of the above are no longer on the books of the clubs I'm assumed they are currently contracted to and I've added them erroneously. 

Still struggling to name the mystery goalkeeper who never made an appearance!

I had Forfar but somehow managed to miss Nditi! So busy checking that Harkins had departed I missed Roberto altogether. There are only 7 then. Sorry.

The other keeper is Gary Maley, twice an emergency loan for the bench. He did retire last summer but has since re-registered to cover emergency.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We never saw Low again

I could be wrong - as we all are from time to time - but I thought we did see him in that dreadful last game vs Partick.

For some reason GN saw fit to drop Wilson for Low who, I think, scored a crucial goal at home to Dunfermline a couple of weeks earlier.

Thought that was a huge mistake when I saw Teams Pre Match.

4 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I could be wrong - as we all are from time to time - but I thought we did see him in that dreadful last game vs Partick.

For some reason GN saw fit to drop Wilson for Low who, I think, scored a crucial goal at home to Dunfermline a couple of weeks earlier.

Thought that was a huge mistake when I saw Teams Pre Match.

Well someone purporting to be Nicky Low played in it but I'm not sure who it was. He clearly wasn't close to fit and fielding him was a last throw of the dice gamble by Naysmith. I wasn't even counting that.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I had Forfar but somehow managed to miss Nditi! So busy checking that Harkins had departed I missed Roberto altogether. There are only 7 then. Sorry.

Apology accepted 🤣

Not wishing to rub it in, but Kyle Hutton is at Forfar too. 😏

2 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Apology accepted 🤣

Not wishing to rub it in, but Kyle Hutton is at Forfar too. 😏

Oh FFS! 🤡

At least I actually didn't know that. I knew Nditi was there and still over-looked it. I thought Hutton was still at East Kilbride but I see he's not only now at Forfar but he's been at Cowdenbeath in between. I wasn't expecting him to find his way back into the SPFL 2 years later.

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Honestly can't think of an eighth club.

I may be wrong here, but I reckon to name one ex-Queens man at each of the other 33 - (or 34?) - I'd say:  Rangers (McCrorie) / Aberdeen (Ritchie) / Hearts (Z.Clark) / Hibs (Dabrowski) / St Mirren (Kiltie) / Livvy (Obileye) / Motherwell (Shields) / St Johnstone (N.Clark) / Killie (I.Cameron) / Dundee (Marshall) / The Glasgow Gretna (Kilday) / Partick (Holt) / Ayr (Murdoch) / Morton (O'Connor) / Raith (MacDonald) / Arbroath (Hilson) / Hamilton (Doyle) / Cove (Fox) / Dunfermline (Todorov) / Falkirk (Oliver) / Airdrie (Fordyce) / Alloa (Durnan) / Edinburgh (Jacobs) / Kelty (Lyon) / Clyde (McDonald) / Peterhead (McCarthy) / Dumbarton (Buchanan) / Annan (W.Gibson) / East Fife (Slattery) / Forfar (Nditi) / Stenny (C.Lyle) / Stranraer (Robertson) / Bonnyrigg (K.Smith) / Albion (Leighfield)

Of course it's possible that at least one of the above are no longer on the books of the clubs I'm assumed they are currently contracted to and I've added them erroneously. 

Still struggling to name the mystery goalkeeper who never made an appearance!

For what it's worth (and as already shown I may have missed some), I have:

Celtic - None
Rangers - Robby McCrorie
Aberdeen - Tom Ritchie
Hearts - Zander Clark, Ross Stewart, Cammy Logan
St Mirren - Greg Kiltie
Hibernian - Kevin Dabrowski
Livingston - Gary Maley, Ayo Obileye, Jaze Kabia
Motherwell - Max Johnston, David Devine, Barry Maguire, Connor Shields
St Johnstone - Chris Kane, Nicky Clark
Kilmarnock - Innes Cameron
Ross County - None
Dundee United - None

Dundee - Jordan Marshall
Queen's Park - Lee Kilday, Dom Thomas
Partick Thistle - Darren Brownlie, Kevin Holt, Aidan Fitzpatrick (and of course Aaron Muirhead though he never played 1st team for us)
Ayr United - Andy Murdoch
Inverness CT - None
Morton - Darragh O'Connor, Ally Roy
Raith Rovers - Jamie MacDonald, Robbie Thomson
Arbroath - Dale Hilson
Hamilton Accies - Michael Doyle
Cove Rangers - Scott Fox

Dunfermline Athletic - Deniz Mehmet, Rhys Breen, Nikolay Todorov
Falkirk - Gary Oliver
Airdrie - Josh Rae, David Hutton, Calum Fordyce, Rhys McCabe, Adam Frizzell, Salim Koider-Aissa
Alloa Ath - Mark Durnan
Edinburgh - Kyle Jacobs, Callum Tapping, Scott Mercer, Mark Kerr
Montrose - Nil
Kelty Hearts - Darren Lyon
Clyde - Olly McDonald
Peterhead - Andy McCarthy

Stirling Albion - None (though Dale Carrick is from Dumfries and I think raised a QoS fan)
Dumbarton - Gregor Buchanan, Joe McKee
Annan Ath - Scott Hooper, Wullie Gibson, Benjamin Luissint, Tommy Goss, Aidan Smith, Colin McMenamin (& Ethan Mitchell was a Pro Youth)
Forfar Ath - Roberto Nditi, Kyle Hutton
Stenhousemuir - Curtis Lyle
East Fife - Pat Slattery
Stranraer - Scott Robertson (not sure if Hamill was registered as a player but he's away now anyway)
Bonnyrigg Rose - Kevin Smith
Elgin City - None
Albion Rovers - Jack Leighfield, Ayrton Sonkur, Michael Paton, Lewis Kidd

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Dale Carrick's Dad is from Dumfries but Dale was actually born and raised in Edinburgh (or there abouts).  He was a Queens fan as a boy though and I believe played a couple of games for the supporters club, although I think his Uncle Scott may have forced him into it!

Here's another quick quiz for y'all...

Since 2000, only 6 players have left Queens to go on and sign next for a club who at the time of signing were members of one of the top 4 divisions in England.  Can you name them?

Hint:  I've listed them in alphabetical order.

1     ----- / ---------   (to Stockport County, 2005)

2    ------- / ------   (to Swansea City, 2009)

3    --- / ------   (to Blackpool, 2011)

4    ---- / ------   (to Notts County, 2001)

5    ---- / ------   (to Morecambe, 2008)

6    ------ / ----   (to Carlisle United, 2017)

I have to admit here that I have absolutely no recollection of number 4 above and not just as a Queens player, His name doesn't ring a bell for me as a footballer for any club!

Disclaimer:  my records may not be 100% accurate so there may be others...

ETA all of the above did get on the pitch for Queens!

Edited by Slipmat

23 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Here's another quick quiz for y'all...

Since 2000, only 6 players have left Queens to go on and sign next for a club who at the time of signing were members of one of the top 4 divisions in England.  Can you name them?

Hint:  I've listed them in alphabetical order.

1     ----- / ---------   (to Stockport County, 2005)

2    ------- / ------   (to Swansea City, 2009)

3    --- / ------   (to Blackpool, 2011)

4    ---- / ------   (to Notts County, 2001)

5    ---- / ------   (to Morecambe, 2008)

6    ------ / ----   (to Carlisle United, 2017)

I have to admit here that I have absolutely no recollection of number 4 above and not just as a Queens player, His name doesn't ring a bell for me as a footballer for any club!

Disclaimer:  my records may not be 100% accurate so there may be others...

ETA all of the above did get on the pitch for Queens!

Dobs to Swansea, Bob Harris to Blackpool, Steven Rigg (back) to Carlisle. Ryan McCann to Morecambe? Don’t know the other 2. 

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Dobs to Swansea, Bob Harris to Blackpool, Steven Rigg (back) to Carlisle. Ryan McCann to Morecambe? Don’t know the other 2. 

Aye, four correct answers from you there 👏

1 is Chris Armstrong.

I actually thought 5 was Sean O'Connor but he went to Morecambe three years earlier when they weren't a league club now I've checked it. I'd forgotten McCann briefly and unsuccessfully went there then came back.

Not a clue about No 4. That needs some thinking.......... it must be someone from the initial John Connolly North East revolution who didn't stick around long and headed back down the road.

If the dashes for letters are accurate then Andy Martin or Tony Nelson seem most likely though I've no memory of either going to English league football. Thought both returned to non league in the North East.

Can't be Nelson as that's not alphabetically before McCann. Martin might be depending how you are listing the "Mc's". Is it Andy Martin?

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

1 is Chris Armstrong.

3 minutes ago, qosphotos said:

4=John McCaig

You are both spot on!  As I say, I have no recollection of McCaig, but the centenary book confirms he made one start and one sub appearance in 98/99 season.  T'internet says he signed for Notts County in December 2000, so I'm slightly out with the date - sorry!

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

1 is Chris Armstrong.

I actually thought 5 was Sean O'Connor but he went to Morecambe three years earlier when they weren't a league club now I've checked it. I'd forgotten McCann briefly and unsuccessfully went there then came back.

Not a clue about No 4. That needs some thinking..........

O'Connor was one of the first names that came to mind but like you I didn't realise Morecambe were still non-league at the time.  Similarly Mark Angel (Boston), Marvin Andrews (Wrexham), Steve Bowey (York) and David McNiven (Scarborough - and they were out of the league several seasons before he signed for them).

Steven Skinner played for Carlisle the season after he left Queens, but apparently he was loaned to them from Gretna, fact fans.

1 minute ago, qosphotos said:

Maybe missing one who went to Boston United - ____/_____ 2001

I was typing my reply at the same time when you typed this ^

He crossed my mind but it turns out Boston won the Conference in 2001/02 season so he signed for their last pre-league campaign.

19 minutes ago, qosphotos said:

4=John McCaig

Bloody good shout there @qosphotos! I have the vaguest of memories of a youth player now you say it, but would never have got that.

13 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

You are both spot on!  As I say, I have no recollection of McCaig, but the centenary book confirms he made one start and one sub appearance in 98/99 season.  T'internet says he signed for Notts County in December 2000, so I'm slightly out with the date - sorry!

To be fair, given I invoiced Stockport I had a bit of an advantage there! 😆

I vaguely recall McCaig as a youth from Ayr. Couldn't have told you he actually played for the first team. I would never have got it but I was thinking about the wrong season anyway. I'm not completely convinced that December 2000 is right either, certainly in terms of leaving us. I think he was gone before Connolly and Connolly arrived in the summer of 2000. I wonder if it just took him 6 months to find another club? We certainly didn't transfer him to Notts County.

9 minutes ago, qosphotos said:

Maybe missing one who went to Boston United - ____/_____ 2001

Weren't a league club at the time.

9 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

O'Connor was one of the first names that came to mind but like you I didn't realise Morecambe were still non-league at the time.  Similarly Mark Angel (Boston), Marvin Andrews (Wrexham), Steve Bowey (York) and David McNiven (Scarborough - and they were out of the league several seasons before he signed for them).

Steven Skinner played for Carlisle the season after he left Queens, but apparently he was loaned to them from Gretna, fact fans.

I had no idea Mark Angel went to Boston, or that Marvin Andrews played for Wrexham after leaving us. I knew about Bowser, went to see him playing for York the season he moved there. Also knew about McNiven. And I'd forgotten all about the name Steven Skinner until right now let alone had any clue he ever played for Carlisle.

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Bloody good shout there @qosphotos! I have the vaguest of memories of a youth player now you say it, but would never have got that.

I vaguely recall McCaig as a youth from Ayr. Couldn't have told you he actually played for the first team. I would never have got it but I was thinking about the wrong season anyway. I'm not completely convinced that December 2000 is right either, certainly in terms of leaving us. I think he was gone before Connolly and Connolly arrived in the summer of 2000. I wonder if it just took him 6 months to find another club? We certainly didn't transfer him to Notts County.

According to my records McCaig played against Whitehill in the Borders Cup in pre-season 2000/01 but never featured again.  I'm guessing Connolly didn't rate him and released him soon after.

Edit - not the Borders Cup, the Annan Tourney.

Edited by Slipmat