The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Cheers. Tbf it doesn't read like he's definitely away. He's only said what every other player in the side (or any side) will be thinking: if a bigger club comes in they'll be away. 

I agree. I'd be probably more disappointed reading a young guy like him saying he loves league one and that's where he wants to end his days.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Cheers. Tbf it doesn't read like he's definitely away. He's only said what every other player in the side (or any side) will be thinking: if a bigger club comes in they'll be away. 

.........presuming said bigger club is prepared to pay the compensation of course.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

.........presuming said bigger club is prepared to pay the compensation of course.

Indeed. I still think there's a really good player in there. But the reality is he's been average for the most part (and I've always been a fan) so I can't imagine there are a whole host of clubs going to be fighting for his signature. Given he's played his best stuff for us since MB has come in, if he's in his plans I think it would be sensible for Cochrane to stay for another year. He's still got age on his side. 

I agree that he has definitely under-achieved with us although not helped by a poor fitness record. Ironically when he finally starts to really look the part he gets dropped for no obvious reason that I can understand.Others say that he and Wilson are not compatible in the same midfield which I find totally perplexing but everybody has their views and this is a debate that has already had some mileage so no point in going over it again.

I expect Cochrane to move on unless of course we are the “only FT show in town” that want his services.

Congratulations to new shirt sponsor 'Blinds by Mark McGowan'

172 entries is an tremendous return following a poor season. I think that's our 4th most ever behind two seasons we were in the same division as Rangers and a season we were in the UEFA Cup! 

EDIT - It's the 5th highest. It's also 2 behind the centenary season which saw 174 enter.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I agree that he has definitely under-achieved with us although not helped by a poor fitness record. Ironically when he finally starts to really look the part he gets dropped for no obvious reason that I can understand.Others say that he and Wilson are not compatible in the same midfield which I find totally perplexing but everybody has their views and this is a debate that has already had some mileage so no point in going over it again.

I expect Cochrane to move on unless of course we are the “only FT show in town” that want his services.

He was dropped after the Clyde game and tbh, any of the players could have been dropped after that shitshow (though I'm sure I thought Cochrane was a rare decent performer that day). Regardless, after Wilson replaced him we had probably our best result of the season against Falkirk so you can't blame MB for sticking with that side again. 

I've been impressed with Cochrane since MB came in, am a fan of his, want him to stay. But him being dropped isn't something I can say deserves much attention when the reality is we had our best spell of the season after he was dropped...

He was dropped after the Clyde game and tbh, any of the players could have been dropped after that shitshow (though I'm sure I thought Cochrane was a rare decent performer that day). Regardless, after Wilson replaced him we had probably our best result of the season against Falkirk so you can't blame MB for sticking with that side again. 

I've been impressed with Cochrane since MB came in, am a fan of his, want him to stay. But him being dropped isn't something I can say deserves much attention when the reality is we had our best spell of the season after he was dropped...

Yeah this mostly. I wasnt at Clyde so cant comment on it but I think Wilson came in v Falkirk as they thought his physicality and height would be needed. We played well and he kept his place v Edinburgh but Harry improved things that night when he came on with Murray. I'm sure he'd have started v Peterhead the next week but he picked up a training injury and missed the game altogether. We won and then did again at Alloa. He had to wait his chance. He was probably unlucky not to start v Montrose. Good chance he'll play at Airdrie I guess. 

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Congratulations to new shirt sponsor 'Blinds by Mark McGowan'

172 entries is an tremendous return following a poor season. I think that's our 4th most ever behind two seasons we were in the same division as Rangers and a season we were in the UEFA Cup! 

Am I misremembering or does that not usually get drawn after the season has finished? Not that it matters but is there a reason it's as soon as this? 

Am I misremembering or does that not usually get drawn after the season has finished? Not that it matters but is there a reason it's as soon as this? 

It's always the last Thursday in April. It's a game earlier than usual this year because the season's running a week later (due to the World Cup). It's usually the Thursday before the last game.

And it needs to be no later than this for the lead time in getting the sponsor logos agreed with the league and then printed on shirts to have them ready for a mid July start. It really should be 2 or 3 weeks earlier but we cut things as fine as we can.

Well done to the Commercial team for getting so much interest in the shirt draw, and to all who entered. I'm not a replica shirt buyer (I do buy other merchandise though) but the income from this draw and sale of shirts must be a good source for the Club. 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

With Rohan Ferguson who is also ex QoS. As is Shea Gordon come to think of it. 

Yeah, aware of that. By neither would be in an ex-QoS chosen XI right now. Rohan did quite well for us and is probably largely forgotten by our fans as his entire time with us, like Rhys McCabe's was behind closed doors. However, we're very well off for ex-keepers and he'd be 5th choice at best behind Clark, McCrorie, Brynn and MacDonald for me. And I'd probably have him behind Josh Rae too.

Apart from one magnificent strike at Raith Rovers, Shea Gordon was fairly underwhelming for us.

Sadly, Dobbs first attempt at management didn't go well as Blackpool's defeat by Millwall at home tonight means they've been relegated from the Championship. That said, he inherited a thankless task from the start. Probably unlikely that he'll keep the gig into next season but you never know as he's well liked down there.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Sadly, Dobbs first attempt at management didn't go well as Blackpool's defeat by Millwall at home tonight means they've been relegated from the Championship. That said, he inherited a thankless task from the start. Probably unlikely that he'll keep the gig into next season but you never know as he's well liked down there.

Going from the reaction on twitter he seems to be a popular choice among fans for the job next season. 

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's very generous. I thought he was completely shite. 

I remember in my match report on his first game saying that he was hooked at half time. It wasn't until a few days later I realised he hadn't been and had actually played the whole of the 2nd half without me noticing!  In his defence, I think, unusually, we were shooting towards the Terregles Street end in the 2nd half and these days I struggle to even pick out players who have been with us for a while that far away!

PS. Looked up my report, at least my memory is a lot better than my eyesight 😛.

http://www.mydumfries.com/QOSfan//report.php?Date=2022-01-29 15:00:00

Edited by Biblemaster
Add link to match report.

48 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

Fair enough. I remember Skyline saying there was a lack of midfielders but looking back he's added Joe Thomson to his side and I would go for him before Pybus. Didn't think he was too bad though!

He was better than Gordon, and there is a dearth of midfielders, but no.