The Queen of the South thread

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

image.jpeg.f1f45550d46035d78ff16439fb9e04ab.jpeg

Signing on fee? Or is that the entire budget for new players?

Edited by Swarley

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

Thanks for clearing that up. 

So, looks like MTS was mistaken. The chairman of the Tanner Fund wasn't expecting an invite to the Queens board and, looks like, would have turned it down anyway. 

It would also appear that the Tanner Fund folding wasn't really related to the club either. It folded because the chairman left and he left for other reasons. 

As I say, 'primarily' - and that's my official statement bar wishing Mr McLinden well

Edited by Baghdad_QoS

5 hours ago, Baghdad_QoS said:

As I say, 'primarily' - and that's my official statement bar wishing Mr McLinden well

Fair enough, totally understandable. Certainly wouldn't want you to discuss private conversations in public, that can lead to all sorts of trouble. 

I was just going on the assumption that if you didn't feel you had time to do both the Tanner Fund and Dumfries Town Board then you wouldn't have been able to go on the QOS board, as it would take up more time than the Tanner Fund, I imagine. 

Wouldn't there be the risk of a conflict of interest too, between the Town and the club I mean? 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

Wouldn't there be the risk of a conflict of interest too, between the Town and the club I mean? 

Only if there was an application for a project/funding etc. Usual voting etiquette would mean anyone from any business/interest with a registered conflict would be excluded from the vote and discussions.

UKGov does actually highlight a Football Club Director as being an ideal candidate for Member or Chair of the board. 

(and on a humorous note... I've only got £20m to spend... would take a hell of a lot more to fix poor Palmy! 🙂 )

Edited by Baghdad_QoS

42 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

We’ll be very lucky if the old mainstand passes its Health & Safety checks this Summer. The end is nigh 😔

Thanks for ruining my day.

3 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

We’ll be very lucky if the old mainstand passes its Health & Safety checks this Summer. The end is nigh 😔

I would be more surprised if it did pass the Health & Safety check this year. There’s no way it would be evacuated safely in the event of a fire.

God knows how it has passed in the last  10-15 years to be fair.

As you say Palmy pie, the end must be nigh for the old main stand. About time too. 

11 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

I would be more surprised if it did pass the Health & Safety check this year. There’s no way it would be evacuated safely in the event of a fire.

As you say Palmy pie, the end must be nigh for the old main stand. About time too. 

I remember an interview Hewitson did a good few years ago with Border TV (whatever it's called now) and he was saying that it wasn't far off being condemned. I did wonder how it's lasted so long since then. It's obviously scraped by the last few years. 

49 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Okay the old stand is past it best the dressing rooms even let the rain water in but we have to try and patch it up .

We don't have millions to build a new stand so it will have to do it is the least of our problems.

4 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Okay the old stand is past it best the dressing rooms even let the rain water in but we have to try and patch it up .

We don't have millions to build a new stand so it will have to do it is the least of our problems.

If it gets condemned, it will need much more than “patched up”. 

Just now, Greenacres said:

It is not a case of having to make do.  If it isn’t safe it won’t be open.

Now that might not be a big deal given we can accommodate most crowds we get in other parts of the stadium. However, it may impact on hospitality etc.

Clearly not the number one priority just now, but it is still an issue that needs addressed sooner rather than later. 

6 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The old stand being condemned would be an apt ending to the builder’s stewardship. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I remember an interview Hewitson did a good few years ago with Border TV (whatever it's called now) and he was saying that it wasn't far off being condemned. I did wonder how it's lasted so long since then. It's obviously scraped by the last few years. 

And Hewitson's statement at the AGM included:

“I am here to inform you that the current Board will be stepping down at the end of the season.

After service of a combined 57 years, we feel it is time to allow for new direction and fresh blood to continue propelling the football club forward.

The Club is in a healthy financial position, with key capital projects not needing to be undertaken for several years.

We will work with the new board to ensure a smooth transition and will remain in place until the end of the season.”

So basically, if the HS certificate isn't issued, the statement is wrong about the club being propelled forward, wrong about the new board being in place by the end of the season following a smooth transition, wrong about the current BOD standing down at the end of the season (albeit dependent on what they consider to be "the end of the season), probably inaccurate about the financial position given he suggested full-time football wasn't sustainable, and wrong about key capital projects (unless the upkeep and repair of the stand isn't a key capital project in Billy's eyes).  If it was condemned I wonder who would get the contract for a newbuild?  🤔

Would you buy a house from that man?

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The old stand being condemned would be an apt ending to the builder’s stewardship. 

Probably the reason he got out, was looking like he would need to spend some money. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Slipmat said:

And Hewitson's statement at the AGM included:

“I am here to inform you that the current Board will be stepping down at the end of the season.

After service of a combined 57 years, we feel it is time to allow for new direction and fresh blood to continue propelling the football club forward.

The Club is in a healthy financial position, with key capital projects not needing to be undertaken for several years.

We will work with the new board to ensure a smooth transition and will remain in place until the end of the season.”

So basically, if the HS certificate isn't issued, the statement is wrong about the club being propelled forward, wrong about the new board being in place by the end of the season following a smooth transition, wrong about the current BOD standing down at the end of the season (albeit dependent on what they consider to be "the end of the season), probably inaccurate about the financial position given he suggested full-time football wasn't sustainable, and wrong about key capital projects (unless the upkeep and repair of the stand isn't a key capital project in Billy's eyes).  If it was condemned I wonder who would get the contract for a newbuild?  🤔

Would you buy a house from that man?

Absolutely spot on post...

The main stand is of a huge concern and I would like to know exactly what they are doing to sort this out.  Its a huge project as its been neglected for so long its not a case of plastering over the cracks and requires substantial investment from somewhere.  Is it time to take on long term debt to fund this? Surely with the stadium and arena being owned by the club, aligned with the perceived 'sound financials' the bank would fund against this? This in itself would be a cracking statement of arrival by the 'new' board...Plans are done... do we know if they were actually approved? I'm led to believe that stadium upgrade was part of business plan from other interested parties that were dismissed. Is this part of JM's business plan?

As I have said before, I am extremely apprehensive of what is happening with the board (maybe its just the lack of noise/transparency), but

• with JM strutting about as if he is the chairman and making decisions, is this the intention? If so get it announce (although until the board is in place, how can he be making decisions as chairman? Or will the 'outgoing' board vote for this?)
  • Is this why JM is choosing who joins him on the board as opposed to the current chairman?
  • Why are they not announcing Daniel Armstrong as CEO yet Billy refers to him as this? Surely a good new story?
  • They said there was sound interest from numerous parties... where are they?
  • What is their strategy for bringing in a new manager? Or is this for JM to decide (ie his mate Peter Murphy?)
  • is JM's middle name Hewitson?

I could continue to add to these bullet points but get continually frustrated that there is just nothing coming out of the club as normal...

Or am I just being far too cynical and tired on my nightshifts! 🙂

Edited by Mon_The_South

On 05/05/2024 at 14:13, QoS99 said:

Is the story that he wants his own people who will act as his puppets rather than individuals he doesn’t know and might not share the same thoughts as?

His people have Carlisle connections and dollars in there pocket. 

See some talk about carthorse goss on here I have never seen a worse 10 in my life clueless lazy waste of a shirt