The Queen of the South thread

20 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Not good enough

I mean, he's quite clearly good enough for this level. He scored more than our top goalscorer. But it's not someone I'd be over the moon coming back as I'm hoping for a bit better. But for Annan he's clearly a brilliant player and he's more than capable in League 1. 

4 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

If he does come to Falkirk, I know you rate him but how would you describe him in terms of strengths and weaknesses? I think the two goalies we rotated this season are decent shot stoppers and young enough with time to get better, however, for me they both didn't command their 6-8 yard space well enough and a lot of the goals we lost were from crosses into that space. How is Stone in this department?

I've not seen many weaknesses in his game.  Maybe useful yardsticks would be our games in the Big Cup against "quality opposition" in Dundee United and St Mirren.  We beat United although they battered us with something like over 30 odd attempts on goal and Stone was outstanding in keeping the United attack at bay that day.  In the following round up in Paisley he only conceded one goal against a top six side - albeit in a game with few chances given that Queens parked the proverbial bus that day.  I think that the Jambos have high hopes for Stone.  He's a good un.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I've not seen many weaknesses in his game.  Maybe useful yardsticks would be our games in the Big Cup against "quality opposition" in Dundee United and St Mirren.  We beat United although they battered us with something like over 30 odd attempts on goal and Stone was outstanding in keeping the United attack at bay that day.  In the following round up in Paisley he only conceded one goal against a top six side - albeit in a game with few chances given that Queens parked the proverbial bus that day.  I think that the Jambos have high hopes for Stone.  He's a good un.

Should have added, I think he's better than Dabrowski who we had on loan from Hibs and who has been getting rave reviews at Raith recently.  Dabrowski was good and he loved a "Hollywood save" for the cameras but I wasn't all that sure that he commanded his box that well.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I mean, he's quite clearly good enough for this level. He scored more than our top goalscorer. But it's not someone I'd be over the moon coming back as I'm hoping for a bit better. But for Annan he's clearly a brilliant player and he's more than capable in League 1. 

You are quite entitled to your view but to provide enough goals to get us into the playoffs I wouldn’t be confident. 

3 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Not good enough

Would be delighted if we signed Goss a target man someone good in the air has the physical present we have lacked for a long time ..

He would  get us goals and assists.

I don't think we could attract anything  better .

14 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Would be delighted if we signed Goss a target man someone good in the air has the physical present we have lacked for a long time ..

Definitive proof that we definitely shouldnt resign Goss.

Season tickets went on sale earlier. Prices same as last season :)

https://www.qosfc.com/news-6396

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

I can only base my assessment of Goss on how he was when he played for us previously and in the 3 games against Annan I saw last season.  To me, he still looks a yard off the pace, and in the said Annan games although he got himself into decent positions he then proceeded to miss a hatful of chances, ballooning headers left, right and skywards but rarely on target, or nodding the ball on to where there were no Annan players.  No offence to the lad - he's a trier - but if he's the best we can get we're in for another tortuous season.

Edited by Slipmat

Swinglehurst leaves Annan.  A possible signing target for Murphy?  (No idea what his job outside the game is, mind).

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Should have added, I think he's better than Dabrowski who we had on loan from Hibs and who has been getting rave reviews at Raith recently.  Dabrowski was good and he loved a "Hollywood save" for the cameras but I wasn't all that sure that he commanded his box that well.

I thought Josh Rae was better than all of them.

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

I can only base my assessment of Goss on how he was when he played for us previously and in the 3 games against Annan I saw last season.  To me, he still looks a yard off the pace, and in the said Annan games although he got himself into decent positions he then proceeded to miss a hatful of chances, ballooning headers left, right and skywards but rarely on target, or nodding the ball on to where there were no Annan players.  No offence to the lad - he's a trier - but if he's the best we can get we're in for another tortuous season.

Pretty much how I saw it. 

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Swinglehurst leaves Annan.  A possible signing target for Murphy?  (No idea what his job outside the game is, mind).

Far to injury prone, especially if we're running with a smaller squad.

3 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

Definitive proof that we definitely shouldnt resign Goss.

Season tickets went on sale earlier. Prices same as last season :)

https://www.qosfc.com/news-6396

I expected better from you. 

First time I've bought a ST in about 20 years as I can't make every game now. But I'll feel less guilty moaning next season having put my money in :lol:

2 hours ago, QoS99 said:

I thought Josh Rae was better than all of them.

As with Dabrowski, there was an element of show with Rae. There was always a knife-edge moment with them. Both very highly competent keepers though. And some very memorable performance from both.

But there’s something absolutely solid, confident and comfortable about Stone in his last 5 months at Queens. As previously stated, he’s an all-rounder. But theres a maturity and even temperament there. I hope to see his career flourish. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I expected better from you. 

First time I've bought a ST in about 20 years as I can't make every game now. But I'll feel less guilty moaning next season having put my money in :lol:

I knew you'd enjoy that ;)

On 24/05/2024 at 19:08, Greenacres said:

Goss has signed a new 2 year deal at Annan.

22 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Goss has signed a new 2 year deal at Annan.

Cue extended wailing and gnashing of teeth by the Palmy faithful ... 🤔

If we are targeting promotion then the last thing we need is signing a batch of Annan players to mix with last year's flops topped with youth. 

Geezz aim higher..

46 minutes ago, Kunter said:

If we are targeting promotion then the last thing we need is signing a batch of Annan players to mix with last year's flops topped with youth. 

Geezz aim higher..

I think most of us can realistically appreciate that we will be fishing in the murky pool of lower end full time players or part timers willing to step up. It is to be hoped that Murphy proves good enough take these type of players and mould them into a competitive unit. No doubt we will be bolstered by some loan players, hopefully they're nearer the Harry Stone calibre than the Alex Ferguson one.