The Queen of the South thread

Apart from online, I have heard quite a number in the new stand and Portland drive end be critical of him.

You always get a few people moaning about players at Palmerston. One guy behind me last week moaned at every single player, even after we went 3-0 up, and at one point called Carmichael a "useless wee c***. Some people will never be happy no matter how well players do.

Dowie has certainly had a good start and has been just as effective at RB as CB. Providing Higgins and Durnan are our preferred CB pairing this year then I wouldn't be expecting Mitchell to walk straight back in at RB ahead of Dowie. There's no question Mitchell is the better player going forward, but Dowie is by some distance the far superior defender. It'll give Fowler a good headache I'd imagine.

Reilly has been good in the first quarter as well. Certainly giving his all, but is adding goals to his game as well. His composure is slowly but surely improving as well. I still don't feel totally confident of him scoring when he's one-on-one, but I'm far more confident now than I was this time last year.

Both players deserve their praise, but my player of the quarter would go to McShane. He's by far the player who's improved the most in the last year or so. He's stepping up to the plate more and doesn't go missing for long spells like he used to. He still has his quiet spells in games but not as long as they used to. His distribution from dead balls has been top quality at times (another fight for Mitchell, although personally I wouldn't swap McShane for Mitchell). He is always wanting the ball in the middle of the park. Every game you see him giving his team mates an option. He's starting to chip in with the goals to boot! Quite honestly he's the first name I look for on the team-sheet now.

Dowie has certainly had a good start and has been just as effective at RB as CB. Providing Higgins and Durnan are our preferred CB pairing this year then I wouldn't be expecting Mitchell to walk straight back in at RB ahead of Dowie. There's no question Mitchell is the better player going forward, but Dowie is by some distance the far superior defender. It'll give Fowler a good headache I'd imagine.

Reilly has been good in the first quarter as well. Certainly giving his all, but is adding goals to his game as well. His composure is slowly but surely improving as well. I still don't feel totally confident of him scoring when he's one-on-one, but I'm far more confident now than I was this time last year.

Both players deserve their praise, but my player of the quarter would go to McShane. He's by far the player who's improved the most in the last year or so. He's stepping up to the plate more and doesn't go missing for long spells like he used to. He still has his quiet spells in games but not as long as they used to. His distribution from dead balls has been top quality at times (another fight for Mitchell, although personally I wouldn't swap McShane for Mitchell). He is always wanting the ball in the middle of the park. Every game you see him giving his team mates an option. He's starting to chip in with the goals to boot! Quite honestly he's the first name I look for on the team-sheet now.

Agree with everything 100% barring McShane from dead balls, Mitchell won't be fighting too big a fight to get that back imo, too inconsistent for me and that corner in first half yesterday that cleared the box on the far side was absolutely brutal. Far too many of his deliveries either don't clear the first man or float into not so dangerous positions.

Who has been sceptical of Dowie this season?

Not so much for this season but he was not totally accepted when he came to the club and Durnan or Higgins were left out to accommodate him. . Many thought he was just being played as a favourite of McIntyre but he has proved to be a valuable asset and a steady and versatile player who was in the team on merit. He may even have forced some "sceptics' to eat humble pie. Defo my player of the first quarter. Durnan and Reilly probably next in that order.

Agree with everything 100% barring McShane from dead balls, Mitchell won't be fighting too big a fight to get that back imo, too inconsistent for me and that corner in first half yesterday that cleared the box on the far side was absolutely brutal. Far too many of his deliveries either don't clear the first man or float into not so dangerous positions.

He naturally has a few poor deliveries, but then so does Mitchell. From corners certainly. There's no question Mitchell's distribution is decent but it certainly isn't as magnificent as a lot of folk make it out to be.

I think that there is no denying that McShane is the most improved player this season. However I would say Reilly has been the most consistent player in the first quarter followed closely by Dowie. It's not just Gav's goals it's his general lively play which must frustrate the opposition defences. Saturday was another example of when Reilly goes off we then concede two goals and not for the first time this season.

Another telly game against Raith?

Would seem a bit odd so soon after the last one and as such short notice.

However, with Hearts v Rangers already on BT Sport at lunchtime there arent any other obvious games to pick, if Alba are desperate for a game to show that day - Dumbarton v Hibs maybe the only one, given the number of Hibs fans who wont be at the game

Doesn't look likely that Ryan McGuffie will be assistant at QoS then

Ex-Queen of the South player Ryan McGuffie sentenced over assault

...since the attack McGuffie had spent a period in Australia as a coach with St Alban's Saints, and had been offered a four-year contract which was open until January.

http://www.qosfc.com/new_newsview.aspx?newsid=2541

Good update from Mark Blount on the official site.

Great read as always. Probably an overuse of nicknames for Monkey Tennis's liking though!

It certainly puts the disappointment of a late equaliser into perspective, reading the positive views of an enthusiastic Board.