The Queen of the South thread

Not a great loss would be the case if we can definitely get someone better in. As Mr X says that won`t be easy. Baird is definitely 3rd choice for us in my view but we can`t rely on Reilly, Lyle and some kids to see us to the end of the season.

This. But if we thought there were better players out there we would, presumably, have signed them in the summer

Dont know about that!!

Who would you suggest then?

This. But if we thought there were better players out there we would, presumably, have signed them in the summer

Who would you suggest then?

Heffernan, mcmenamin, trouten all goalscorers. That would do a job till end of season

This is where I think players have too much control over clubs. If QoS were to say to Baird "we're not happy, we want you to leave", then we'd have to fork out compensation.

Baird asks us and we practically have no option but to let him go. If we don't then we are wasting two years on a player who doesn't want to be here and if he does play would possibly walk around the park doing nothing. It's not exactly fair on the club.

It like the Tevez situation at City a few years back. I don't have a solution, but there really should be something in place. Ideally his wages be stopped if he didn't perform to a satisfactory level, but I doubt there is any way this could be done.

From our point if view, we will be left with 2 strikers. One who is far better coming off the bench and isn't a 90 minute striker anymore. Personally if I was the BOD I'd be telling him "You're going nowhere unless Fowler finds a replacement during the window". Again, can't see it happening that way though >:(

Heffernan, mcmenamin, trouten all goalscorers. That would do a job till end of season

McMenamin was happy to tell all and sundry that Scottish football was dead when he went to live the dream in the 500th tier of English football. He`s 34 in February so no thanks. Pretty sure Trouten is a midfielder not a striker. Doubt we could afford Heffernan.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Personally like Kerr I think Baird is a very decent player at this level and if all true would be a loss. I think he has been left out of the side more often than he should have been but with Lyle and Reilly scoring more frequently there has been rotation and he has suffered as a result.

Like someone else said it should not just be a case of a key player asking for his release and the club falling in line with the request. It has to suit us and I am far from convinced that it does suit us. This is where man-management comes into its own and if I was Fowler I certainly would not be wanting to lose Baird at this point in time.

The timing of this disruption could not be worse as we may well lose some of our young players and it would have been good to rely on the experienced nucleus until we could try and find some replacements. If Baird goes we need to sign another striker or get some return from players like Paton.

It may be a better tactic to say to Baird that there is no exit door for him - two options commit and fight for your place or train with Development squad. We cant let senior players walk all over the Management team otherwise a play off place will be a very distant memory.

Get RID if he doesn't want to stay and fight for his place, obviously he thinks he is to good to sit on the bench. Not a good team/squad member in my opinion not happy to be part of a 3 man squad for two places.

I would send him to train & play with dev squad until we get another striker in.

Really don't think we should take it for certain that Baird is wanting away. Not saying he wants to stay or that he wants away because I and we don't know. I feel he is a decent ( not brilliant ) player from what I have seen and certainly not a disaster as some have said . If, and thats a big if , he wants away then Russell could join Reilly and Lyle to compete up front in the short term. I think there are decent strikers in league 1 and 2 that we should be looking at more closely.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

The fundamental question that needs to be answered is .........................why are key players wanting to leave. Behind the big 3 in this league we should be one of the most attractive options for players looking for a full time contract.

The fundamental question that needs to be answered is .........................why are key players wanting to leave. Behind the big 3 in this league we should be one of the most attractive options for players looking for a full time contract.

See my last post .

See my last post .

For starters it's Thomson the guy is a club legend at least get his name right, he obviously isn't the best candidate for assistant manager but I really think Bairds situation boils down to him not being as key a player as he thinks he should be. Surely getting his act together and giving the manager a real headache is the way to go but clearly not with some of our players.

Think that Baird is a decent enough player, but so far has yet to really get going at Queens. Limited chances and with Lyle playing probably better than most expected?? he hasn't had many games. Not sure that he should go though, certainly not unless another striker is in place before hand. Having said that, as a higher wage earner, if he doesn't want to stay...then maybe it's better he moves on.