The Queen of the South thread

Agreed. We have played a lot worse this season than we did against Cowden at Palmerston and still won. It wasnt a stellar performance but we were decent and should have won. Their winner was completely against the run of play.

We were a bit unlucky against Livi twice too but they did play well in those games too.

On the other hand the first game at Cowden we were just awful for the first half and lucky to be only two down. We might have nicked a draw if Baird hadnt missed a sitter near the end but we didnt deserve anything.

' Bogey team ' Livi haven't beat us in five 90 minute attempts. Damn, lies and statistics eh ?

Can we expect to see any business done today then? I suspect not.

It's always good from a fans point of view to see new signings, but I could understand the board's position if they decide not to make any additions. We're where we anticipated we would be in the league, and with the injured players returning the squad is as strong as it has been all season.

Although it's a slight concern to see Falkirk "pushing the boat out", they needed to more than us after their poorer than expected start. I've always viewed major transfer activity in January as an admittance that you've done poor business in the Summer window and I don't remember too many grumbles about our squad at the start of the season.

I'd imagine loan signings would be the most likely if we were to move for anyone. Is it still the case that you can sign players on loan beyond the January window closing?

No

It's always good from a fans point of view to see new signings, but I could understand the board's position if they decide not to make any additions. We're where we anticipated we would be in the league, and with the injured players returning the squad is as strong as it has been all season.

Although it's a slight concern to see Falkirk "pushing the boat out", they needed to more than us after their poorer than expected start. I've always viewed major transfer activity in January as an admittance that you've done poor business in the Summer window and I don't remember too many grumbles about our squad at the start of the season.

I'd imagine loan signings would be the most likely if we were to move for anyone. Is it still the case that you can sign players on loan beyond the January window closing?

I suspect the board see the four players returning as stopping any more activity . As said before, these guys have been getting paid ( rightfully of course) while sitting out and our wage bill will be heavy enough without adding to it. There is scope anyway in pushing Russell up - to make the extra striker - and juggling about the midfield returnee's. I see Russell as a better option up front for us than Baird was anyway if the manager wants to use him there( as long as he stays onside ) .I am not one of those that is going to say Baird was crap for Queens because he wasn't ,but ,his impact was moderate at best . -------------Can't really compare Falkirk to us in bringing extra players in as they are bigger with more resources . Having said that, I have had a little peek at the league table and still see us above them. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Today isnt really that important for clubs at this level. Anyone released today can be signed anytime and loan players can still come in outside of the window.

If this is indeed the Derek Lyle's last season with us ,then he is going out it a blaze of glory . When you compare his contribution to Qos to maybe some recently departed players for instance , then it is like one stratosphere to the next . Power to the Tan man and give us some more please !

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Today isnt really that important for clubs at this level. Anyone released today can be signed anytime and loan players can still come in outside of the window.

There's still a "window" for loan signings is there not, end of March possibly, or is that just in England?

I suppose a win next Saturday might twist the Board's arm to get another player in.

If this is indeed the Derek Lyle's last season with us ,then he is going out it a blaze of glory . When you compare his contribution to Qos to maybe some recently departed players for instance , then it is like one stratosphere to the next . Power to the Tan man and give us some more please !

Who says it's his last season first av heard of that.

There's still a "window" for loan signings is there not, end of March possibly, or is that just in England?

I suppose a win next Saturday might twist the Board's arm to get another player in.

There is and there is a cut off for free transfers too. I dont know the exact dates but both are late on enough to not be particularly relevant.

I suppose the main consideration for a loan signing outside the window would be whether or not they would be available for the play-offs, should we finish in the top four.

I found the story about James Fowler supposedly saying that " our aim is to avoid relegation" rather a strange thing to say from a man who`s team has been sitting pretty all season . With this in mind , I decided to do a little digging myself . Turns out - surprise, surprise- that Fowler DID NOT say this at all. Rather the person or person`s at West Sound involved in interviewing him - who as non football people did not understand the dissapointment/bewilderment that such a statement would make - decided to spice up the story a tad by saying his aim was to avoid the trapdoor. Before anyone goes raging at our local radio station, they have been very apologetic that such a statement provoked consternation amongst Qos fans and as I said , as non football people they didnt really `get` the uproar this would provoke . It was unprofessional but I believe no malice was meant . Some are willing to believe second hand off people that things said are legit and maybe its time Fowler was given the benefit of the doubt. Remember, he is only 34 and learning a really tough trade in amongst far more experienced managers and against bigger teams than Qos. Again, I looked at the league table and we /he seems to be more than holding his own . -------Keep the Faith !

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

I suppose the main consideration for a loan signing outside the window would be whether or not they would be available for the play-offs, should we finish in the top four.

Would it not just get agreed upon as a given on any loan later in the season? We certainly had McHugh on board long enough for him to eventually make a contribution in the Falkirk games last season.

The only issue I'd envisage would concern if we got loaned someone from a team like Ross County or St Mirren.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Would it not just get agreed upon as a given on any loan later in the season? We certainly had McHugh on board long enough for him to eventually make a contribution in the Falkirk games last season.

The only issue I'd envisage would concern if we got loaned someone from a team like Ross County or St Mirren.

Who would you take on lone from Ross County or St Mirren?

Outside the window they would be "emergency" loans. They are a set period, are they not?

Outside the window they would be "emergency" loans. They are a set period, are they not?

Yes, probably. I never know any of this stuff.

Any set period would need to start sufficiently late then, as presumably happened with McHugh last year.

Or did he arrive in January?

I found the story about James Fowler supposedly saying that " our aim is to avoid relegation" rather a strange thing to say from a man who`s team has been sitting pretty all season . With this in mind , I decided to do a little digging myself . Turns out - surprise, surprise- that Fowler DID NOT say this at all. Rather the person or person`s at West Sound involved in interviewing him - who as non football people did not understand the dissapointment/bewilderment that such a statement would make - decided to spice up the story a tad by saying his aim was to avoid the trapdoor. Before anyone goes raging at our local radio station, they have been very apologetic that such a statement provoked consternation amongst Qos fans and as I said , as non football people they didnt really `get` the uproar this would provoke . It was unprofessional but I believe no malice was meant . Some are willing to believe second hand off people that things said are legit and maybe its time Fowler was given the benefit of the doubt. Remember, he is only 34 and learning a really tough trade in amongst far more experienced managers and against bigger teams than Qos. Again, I looked at the league table and we /he seems to be more than holding his own . -------Keep the Faith !

Hmm. That seems a pretty important aspect of the interview to 'spice up'. Would a non-football person stumble on it by accident? I don't think so.

Furthermore, why did they feel the need to spice it up in the first place? It's not as if it was going out to a mass audience.

Hmm. That seems a pretty important aspect of the interview to 'spice up'. Would a non-football person stumble on it by accident? I don't think so.

Furthermore, why did they feel the need to spice it up in the first place? It's not as if it was going out to a mass audience.

Radio, tv & the papers are all the same, try to get an audience.

Radio, tv & the papers are all the same, try to get an audience.

Oh come on Supersouth. You really think such an interview "spice up" would attract significant extra audience to West Sound.

Really?

Edited by Distant Doonhamer