The Queen of the South thread

Gavin Reilly, discuss.

Charlie?

You called?

Gavin Reilly is a striker in a Queen of the South team that by all accounts are generally playing well and are in 4th place in the Championship. They have had some very good results notably the home victories over both Hibs and Rangers.

He is joint top goal scorer in the league and has been getting some rave reviews on national tv and radio as well as in the press.

I'm sure come 16.50 on Saturday you'll know a lot more about him and it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he had scored.

Hey you cheeky wee rascal RG I bet you already knew this, no?

Allan Johnston to leave Kilmarnock at the end of the season.

I didn't grudge him the move at the time, but I always suspected it would turn out to be a poor one. Killie are skint, and there is a fractured relationship between the fans and the Board. Despite this the fans seem to have high expectations, possibly due to their previous manager having them punch above their weight. He was well liked by the fans as well making it tough for any replacement. Not a good environment for a young manager to learn in.

It's probably too early in his career for Killie legend James Fowler to be a realistic candidate, but I'm sure he'll be linked.

AJ should find a Championship club without too much trouble. He'd be welcome back at Palmy with open arms you'd imagine.

Edited by palmy_cammy

Magic Johnston resigning at Kilmarnock at end of the season!

Could this mean a return as manager at Palmerston or as Fowlers No2?

Magic set for Kilmarnock exit tomorow morning, would or could Queens entice him back to Palmerston as assist to Fowler even if it was just for the run in to the end of the season?

Magic set for Kilmarnock exit tomorow morning, would or could Queens entice him back to Palmerston as assist to Fowler even if it was just for the run in to the end of the season?

Unless he was desperate to get a job, I can't see someone who was managing at a higher level until yesterday wanting to return to a club he recently managed to become the No 2.

Nothing would surprise me though!

He's never going to be anyone's number 2. I wouldn't have him back as gaffer either, yet another one who thought grass was greener and Is now unemployed. Have any left us and succeeded at another club?

Ian McCall was probably the last one to do so. He never won titles with Thistle but a lot of the fans credit him with putting things in place for McNamara to have a title push.

I think I would like to see Magic back on the touch line at Queens just to help Fowler who is doing a grand job in charge of the team, Johnston knows the players & the place and would be a good help over the next 4 month. Whether he, Fowler or the board would be interested is another thing.

Ian McCall was probably the last one to do so. He never won titles with Thistle but a lot of the fans credit him with putting things in place for McNamara to have a title push.

The last person I can remember that left us to do well with their next club was probably Billy McClaren and that wasn't yesterday. I won't include Rowan as he was pushed out the door at Palmerston

The last person I can remember that left us to do well with their next club was probably Billy McClaren and that wasn't yesterday. I won't include Rowan as he was pushed out the door at Palmerston

Agreed. Was about to post the same thing. When McLaren left us the first time after being headhunted by Hamilton he did a great job at Accies. That was in 1990 though, nearly 25 years ago!

There haven't actually been many since to leave us by their own choice though. Just Connolly (in 2004 to St Johnstone), Chisholm (in 2010 to Dundee), Johnston (in 2013 to Kilmarnock) and McIntyre (in 2014 to Ross County). McCall didn't move on to go to Thistle so I wouldn't even have considered him in the question and though he certainly didn't do a bad job there, I wouldn't say he was an unmitigated success either. Connolly and Chisholm were complete failures. Johnston hasn't worked out either and the jury remains very much out on McIntyre.

I wouldn't include Rowan Alexander either. He was sacked by us in 1999 and didn't turn up at Gretna for a couple of years after (and didn't do anything there until Mileson's money arrived either).

Agreed. Was about to post the same thing. When McLaren left us the first time after being headhunted by Hamilton he did a great job at Accies. That was in 1990 though, nearly 25 years ago!

There haven't actually been many since to leave us by their own choice though. Just Connolly (in 2004 to St Johnstone), Chisholm (in 2010 to Dundee), Johnston (in 2013 to Kilmarnock) and McIntyre (in 2014 to Ross County). McCall didn't move on to go to Thistle so I wouldn't even have considered him in the question and though he certainly didn't do a bad job there, I wouldn't say he was an unmitigated success either. Connolly and Chisholm were complete failures. Johnston hasn't worked out either and the jury remains very much out on McIntyre.

I wouldn't include Rowan Alexander either. He was sacked by us in 1999 and didn't turn up at Gretna for a couple of years after (and didn't do anything there until Mileson's money arrived either).

Can remember McClarens Hamilton beat Ayr Utd in the Challenge Cup final of 91-2. This was of course after Ayr beating us 3-2 in the semi. Can't really remember what the circumstances were involving McCalls exit from Palmerston. I remember he kept us up in 06-7 ( I think) when we were rooted at the bottom around Xmas. He was backed very well by the chairman though and brought in some good players to give us the lift required ( Adams, Murray etc). This rescue act came about after Ian Scott was relieved of his duties after a disastrous stint as our boss Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Can't really remember what the circumstances were involving McCalls exit from Palmerston. I remember he kept us up in 06-7 ( I think) when we were rooted at the bottom around Xmas. He was backed very well by the chairman though and brought in some good players to give us the lift required ( Adams, Murray etc). This rescue act came about after Ian Scott was relieved of his duties after a disastrous stint as our boss

You are a year out. McCall was appointed in November 2005, succeeding Iain Scott. We weren't bottom but we were only just above Brechin and about 4 or 5 points adrift of Stranraer. By the end of January we were 12 points back from Stranraer before a batch of signings (Andy Aitken, Sean O'Connor, Andy Thomson, Michael Mullen, Graeme Weir, Ryan McStay, Shaun Dillon, etc) combined with Stranraer's decision to sell talisman Allan Jenkins to Gretna led to us hauling them back and earning survival with a week to go.

He remained in charge for 06-07 bringing in guys like Scott McKenzie, John Henry, BJ Corr, Murray Henderson, Neil Scally, Stephen Swift, but by January we were bottom of the league and in a straight fight with Airdrie and Ross County for survival again. Another team overhaul including the priceless acquisitions of Dobbie, Tosh and McQuilken as well as Jamie Adams, Stevie Murray and Jamie MacDonald turned things around again and we again ensured survival with one week to spare.

The club and he then parted ways with the old "mutual consent" line trotted out, though he was allowed to take charge of the last game against Airdrie before departing. Gordon Chisholm then took over. McCall didn't leave to go to Thistle. He left and then ended up at Thistle about a month or two later.

To be fair to McCall, whilst his two campaigns both saw us survive on the penultimate day of the season, the first we were already in trouble before he arrived and he left a much stronger squad than he inherited. During his time with us MacDonald, Aitken, Tosh, McQuilken, Dobbie and O'Connor (and Scally) were all signed who were all part of the cup final squad under Chisholm a year later. Plus Paton, O'Neill, Burns and Thomson were already here. Chisholm took that squad to the cup final with only the additions of Harris, Macfarlane and McCann.

Cheers. Stranraer just collapsed , didn't they ? I think we have only played in two league seasons with them since promotion in 01-02. We found our level and they found theirs although they are doing very well at present . Aitken has done a fine job with little resources and up against the likes of Dunfermilne and Morton.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG