The Queen of the South thread

Be warned Gus. :lol:

A wee bit ironic really when you consider that 12 months ago we had two former Queens managers managing elsewhere in the division whilst another two (O'Neill and Moore) were ex-players. Throw in Billy Reid and Brian Reid for good measure and there was plenty of former Queens influence about in management. The two Reid's and Moore are still in charge of their sides of course.

Limited it to five because they were managers in the First division and were apparently highly rated by many of our fans when they were with us. I don't think anybody rated the previous incumbents, going back to the 80's so wouldn't expect those to be in work if they weren't retired.

Fair enough, that's logical, though I'd say Billy McLaren was reasonably highly rated and was working with us right up to the late 90's. Still working with Rangers of course as a scout and with some youth level teams I think.

EDITED to add - Iain Scott is working in football in the USA these days. I'm not sure at what exact level though. He might be managing a team / university.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Fair enough, that's logical, though I'd say Billy McLaren was reasonably highly rated and was working with us right up to the late 90's. Still working with Rangers of course as a scout and with some youth level teams I think.

EDITED to add - Iain Scott is working in football in the USA these days. I'm not sure at what exact level though. He might be managing a team / university.

Iain Scott not have something to do with newcastles youths also, cracking coach, just couldnt cut it as his own man!

Changing tack to think about players spending any significant amount of time at the club:

Although we already knew he was away, the "official" confirmation that Bob Harris has joined Blackpool means the last playing link to the 2008 Cup Final team has now departed, although Ryan McCann was still training with us this week and might yet bring that number back up to one I suppose. Jim Thomson is still employed by the club in a promotional and commercial capacity and John Kerr is still the physio. Plus Craig Reid was with us at the time but cup tied and couldn't play in it.

Craig Reid is now our longest serving player having been here since January 31st 2008, nearly 3.5 years. He's also the last playing link to the UEFA Cup tie against Nordsjaelland.

Steven Black is our 2nd longest serving player in professional contract terms. He signed at the start of June 2009, a couple of months ahead of Stephen McKenna. (David Weatherston would be second longest serving if he did surprisingly reappear). Those are the only players to have more than one year at the club to date, although again some of the young players have come up through youth ranks for years. I'm talking about the date of their first pro contract though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Am I right in saying that our last five managers are not currently managing teams anywhere and that the last three are currently on the dole? :unsure:

That can't be true, Chisholm and Brannigan are far too good not to be in a management job :rolleyes:

I would say the signing of Brighton is 'risky'. If he remains fit I think he will be a decent addition and will hopefully link up well with Smith. Should be better to judge after Saturday against a team at our level, I wouldn't read too much into his performance against Gretna. Hopfully the full pre-season will have done him good.

Edited by 19QOS19

That can't be true, Chisholm and Brannigan are far too good not to be in a management job :rolleyes:

I would say the signing of Brighton is 'risky'. If he remains fit I think he will be a decent addition and will hopefully link up well with Smith. Should be better to judge after Saturday against a team at our level, I wouldn't read too much into his performance against Gretna. Hopfully the full pre-season will have done him good.

I think this has been discussed on here before. Pretty much all of our signings will have some element of "risk" to them, given the budget available. If Brighton had been injury free for the last few years, he almost certainly wouldnt be turning out "on trial" for us.

Gus obviously rates Brighton highly. It was fear of his name getting out that prompted Gus's comments about naming trialists on the interweb. Glad he got his man

Would imagine Reid had the best chance of being first choice at LB?

C.Reid Campbell Higgins A.Reid

McGuffie C.Reid Campbell Higgins

A.Reid C. Reid McGuffie Higgins

C.Reid Campbell McGuffie Higgins

McGuffie Campbell Higgins A.Reid

Few options at the back now, and this even without Ryan McCann at right back. Either of the bolded ones for me.

Yeah, but Reid(A) at left back means dropping one of McGuffie, Reid©, Campbell or Higgins. Im not sure he's better than any of those three.

Dont get me wrong, Gus is delivering pretty much what he said he would. Experienced players who can play in several positions. Im not dead against signing either of these two.

I think if these two sign, it'll be a 2nd keeper, of some sort and that will be squad done - unless Gus has another "surprise" up his sleeve

It really is inexplicable.

Even leaving aside the miracles KB performed on a weekly basis (because I said I'd shut up about him); don't you know that not only did Chisholm get us to a cup final, he also took us into Europe - two stunning and completely separate achievements.

Alan Reid now confirmed as signing a one year deal per our OS.

Delighted to see him get a new club. Decent player for us and by all accounts a great guy. Can play anywhere down the left or right or even in a back three if required. Started us on the road to double winning glory in 2005/06 by scoring the only goal in our first game of the season against Forfar.

My only concern would be I think he hasn't been with a club for over a year, however I suppose if you're in from the start of pre-season training that's a reset button. He was doing OK for us in the SPL until a shocking mistake against Aberdeen (the same day as the Phil O'Donnell tragedy) and the emergence of David Barron saw him bombed out the team.

Delighted to see him get a new club. Decent player for us and by all accounts a great guy. Can play anywhere down the left or right or even in a back three if required.

As can Craig Reid.

Fairly amusing that we now have two defensive Reids and either of them could be playing on either side of the defence.

As can Craig Reid.

Fairly amusing that we now have two defensive Reids and either of them could be playing on either side of the defence.

He can play or the right or left of midfield too. Not a winger but can do a job there.

So how many more signings are we expecting? A goalkeeper is a given. Ryan McCann may sign soon, but are we also expecting another striker? It's all gone very quiet on the McCusker front.

So how many more signings are we expecting? A goalkeeper is a given. Ryan McCann may sign soon, but are we also expecting another striker? It's all gone very quiet on the McCusker front.

Goalkeeper is a priority, thought he would have had another one in place for the cup tie tommorrow..Unless carmichael is going to be used more up top this season, or gus decides to use clark up there, then i cant see us signing another striker, but hope im proved wrong!

Goalkeeper is a priority, thought he would have had another one in place for the cup tie tommorrow..Unless carmichael is going to be used more up top this season, or gus decides to use clark up there, then i cant see us signing another striker, but hope im proved wrong!

I can't see us signing another striker either. We may only have two front-line strikers (Smith and Brighton) as such, but we also have many others who can play there, e.g. Carmichael (who came to us as a striker), Clark, Degnan, Smilie and Reilly. As for a goalkeeper, I just hope we sign someone who can compete with McKenzie, and not just a youngster to make up the numbers.