The Queen of the South thread

Given the sterile nature of our starting midfield today and subsequent performance , does anyone still think it was a bright idea getting shot of Weatherston ? Come on , lets hear you !

Naw. Wee DC is a much better player than DW anyway.

No matter what way I look at look at the current players, I still think Stirling had better ones than we have currently. We are gan doon. :(

Thought both goals conceded were fairly soft, poor marking by the defenders.

Looked as though we created enough chances, but if it wasn't over the bar, it was directly at the keeper.

Am not overly concerned about yesterdays defeat as it was more of a first game bonding albeit we are out of a cup.

There was some positives from yesterday.

Like the look of Alan Reid and Kevin Smith and Roddy had a blinder in goals.

The negatives were our lack of wingers in starting line up but we had 2 wingers on the bench ( Clark and Carmichael )

We have to remember if this was a league game we would be coming back down the road with a point and a clean sheet.

We should be ok this season

Thought both goals conceded were fairly soft, poor marking by the defenders.

Looked as though we created enough chances, but if it wasn't over the bar, it was directly at the keeper.

Were you at the game caller? :ph34r:

Yeah, jumped on the private jet & flew over 8)

Cool, next week give me a call and I'll nip down to Melbourne in my private helicopter and we can travel to the game together.:P

Cool, next week give me a call and I'll nip down to Melbourne in my private helicopter and we can travel to the game together.:P

No worries, just park it up on the roof & come down the elevator :)

Am not overly concerned about yesterdays defeat as it was more of a first game bonding albeit we are out of a cup.

There was some positives from yesterday.

Like the look of Alan Reid and Kevin Smith and Roddy had a blinder in goals.

The negatives were our lack of wingers in starting line up but we had 2 wingers on the bench ( Clark and Carmichael )

We have to remember if this was a league game we would be coming back down the road with a point and a clean sheet.

We should be ok this season

I second that DC.

I thought our defence for 90 minutes was pretty solid, two lapses in extra time are slightly worrying but first game i hope its just a bit of rustiness. Midfield are so defensive is pretty scary, not much attacking threat or spark in there, i hope its something gus sorts out, as it's badly needed, not really much to comment on strikers i think the lack of creativeness is going to effect them. I just hope it's something we rectify, as the initial night mins wasn't terrible, there was some positives..although i think after saturday somerset is somewhere we can pick up 4/6 points in league as i don't think there upto much, but they are probably saying same about us!

For me , a centre mid partnership of McKenna /Simmons is a no go in the same way that the Scally / McFarlane failed . Two defensive midfielders together does not work , that is if you have any ambitions of making forays into your opponents penalty area.

For me , a centre mid partnership of McKenna /Simmons is a no go in the same way that the Scally / McFarlane failed . Two defensive midfielders together does not work , that is if you have any ambitions of making forays into your opponents penalty area.

I know what you mean, and you may be right in a four (might work better in a midfield five), but I wouldn't say Simmons is especially defensive. Certainly nowhere near as much so as either Macfarlane or Scally. Simmons likes to come deep to get the ball (a bit like Tosh did) but he does look to go forward and pick out forward passes in a way that none of McKenna, Scally or Macfarlane do. He's not going to bomb into the box himself the way Tosh did but I'd say he was more of a playmaker than a defensive midfielder, or at least tries to be. He wants too much time on the ball at times though.

I know what you mean, and you may be right in a four (might work better in a midfield five), but I wouldn't say Simmons is especially defensive. Certainly nowhere near as much so as either Macfarlane or Scally. Simmons likes to come deep to get the ball (a bit like Tosh did) but he does look to go forward and pick out forward passes in a way that none of McKenna, Scally or Macfarlane do. He's not going to bomb into the box himself the way Tosh did but I'd say he was more of a playmaker than a defensive midfielder, or at least tries to be. He wants too much time on the ball at times though.

I would really like to be proved wrong about Simmons but unfortunately the memory of his last stint at Palmerston is still strong . He was slow , unenthusiastic and certainly not creative . Neither a holding , tackling or attacking player but I kind of gave him the benefit of the doubt that he is a defensive midfieder. I was as surprised as the rest of you that he got a regular start in a good Rovers team that worked their socks off for each other .Lets hope for a far more productive second spell.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Mark McCusker from Clyde has signed for Queens confirmed by Skyline. We will have to pay Clyde a fee as was retained by Clyde and is only 22.Has scored goals for Clyde in the 3rd Div hopefully he can make the step up and score goals for us.

He played not bad on Saturday, looked to get on the ball and make somethign happen.

[/quote

a thought he did ok on sat tbh prob our best outfield player on the day

Guest TOPFITTER

Mark McCusker from Clyde has signed for Queens confirmed by Skyline. We will have to pay Clyde a fee as was retained by Clyde and is only 22.Has scored goals for Clyde in the 3rd Div hopefully he can make the step up and score goals for us.

Skyline must be more in the loop than the official site, just been there, no update on McCusker.

http://www.qosfc.com/players

Skyline must be more in the loop than the official site, just been there, no update on McCusker.

http://www.qosfc.com/players

Despite Northfield's continual attempts to credit me in about four different threads with some sort of "scoop" here, I'll point out for about the third time that all I did was post it once Gus MacPherson confirmed publicly that he is a Queens player (as again pointed out by Gogs above).

Edited by Skyline Drifter