The Queen of the South thread

Aye ,but as an active user Finlay, I am allowed to. Dont know why Mr.X would be so dismissive about a thread on MAD about keeping DW. He has been a good player for us and even some of the ' experts' on here will think so.

The fact that its on MAD had no bearing on my dismissiveness. As Finlay said, why no thread to keep McMenamin, McLaren, Quinn, McKenna (when it looked like he was going), Lilley, McGuffie (when he hadnt signed)?

Weatherston has been decent for us, nothing more nothing less. He's certainly never done enough, in my opinion, to get so worked up about his leaving. I wish him well and would rather not see him line up against us - just in case - but a thread "we want weatherson (sic) back", come on?

Of course, it doesnt really matter now anyway. We're signing John Fleck on loan, dont you know? ;)

It wouldnt be pre-season without the annual "Fleck on loan" rumour :lol:

I think this also, but had two texts this morning saying he's on loan till december, i also spotted on daily record website..Tom Brighton set to sign so obviously right

I don't suppose we'll ever know but I believe if Weatherston was on the pitch as much as the likes of Brannigans favourites Holmes & McLaren then he'd definitely been top goalscorer for the last two seasons .

Bully boy Brannigan was never going to give the lad a chance just because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and wasn't brought up on the mean streets of Glasgow .

I would of gave the lad another contract but it's not going to happen .

Time to move on and see what the new players can do for Queens . I for one can't wait for the new season to start :)

I don't suppose we'll ever know but I believe if Weatherston was on the pitch as much as the likes of Brannigans favourites Holmes & McLaren then he'd definitely been top goalscorer for the last two seasons .

Bully boy Brannigan was never going to give the lad a chance just because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and wasn't brought up on the mean streets of Glasgow .

I would of gave the lad another contract but it's not going to happen .

Time to move on and see what the new players can do for Queens . I for one can't wait for the new season to start :)

Make up your mind.

So Brannigan didnt play Weatherston because he didnt like him. Whats Gus's reason?

McLaren contributed more than David Weatherston last season, of that there is no doubt.

Quinn being on and off, much like Weatherston.

Talk about damn lies and statistics . This is one that would even make a Labour spin doctor blush . The sole reason McClaren contributed more than Weatherston last season was by virtue of the fact he had about three times the air play than DW. Now Fin , sit down and divide the huffy , petulant McClarens starts by about three and come back and tell me what kind of impact he had.

Talk about damn lies and statistics . This is one that would even make a Labour spin doctor blush . The sole reason McClaren contributed more than Weatherston last season was by virtue of the fact he had about three times the air play than DW. Now Fin , sit down and divide the huffy , petulant McClarens starts by about three and come back and tell me what kind of impact he had.

Erm... still a big impact.

Referring to McLaren as huffy is undermining your own argument as well because Weatherston almost as frequently could be found throwing his arms about and sporting a petted lip when things weren't going his way.

Here's the cold hard facts for you anyway:

Willie McLaren - very quickly snapped up by Hamilton, a team likely to be pushing for promotion from this league, and managed by the highly experienced, and respected Billy Reid.

David "Pele" Weatherston - A bit-part player under two different managers at Queens, not offered a new deal by a third.

I'm in the disappointed Weatherston isn't likely to be here next year camp.

However, that said, I do think there tends to be more of an issue made of him than his actual ability would suggest should be. He possesses a burst of pace that few do (I don't actually think he was quite as quick last season as he had been the year before) and that makes him occasionally outstanding at this level. If teams play a high line then he can get in behind and destroy them, as he has with Thistle a few times and Morton notably on one occasion last year. Not many teams will afford him that kind of space to run into though and I still don't understand why Moore didn't just have his defence play deeper in that game last season. Generally I've always thought he was better played out wide where he can use his pace more and had a nice habit of turning up at the back post to nick goals.

He doesn't have an enormous amount of actual football skill about him when on the ball though and he also doesn't have the greatest injury record. Like most people with great pace, he also has dodgy hamstrings. I did think his work-rate was improving a lot at the back end of last season but at the end of the day as Cammy says, the previous two Queens managers had him as a sub generally, including the one that actually brought him into senior football in the first place, and the current one has decided he can do better with his budget apparently. That's his call to live or die by.

If he's not going to be here then I do hope David gets a new club soon and does well there. Hopefully not against us but no doubt he'll haunt us at some point in the future.