The Queen of the South thread

He/she/it doesnt deserve a decent response.

Let's just wait and see what happens before Friday, someone out there might have a surprise for us. Several of the new players have got a serious past when it comes to getting injured and another is always suspended.

It is these things that worry me. :angel

We have the best manager in the league which is far more important than keeping hold of dross like Weatherston. Queens fans really require a reality check sometimes I think.

Why???

Dumfries deserves SPL football.

I said at the end of the season that I would have kept every one of our players from last year, we were never going to be able to replace like for like quality all through the side. But on the whole I like what is being assembled and it is far better than I imagined.

Couldn't agree more.

I said at the end of the season that I would have kept every one of our players from last year, we were never going to be able to replace like for like quality all through the side. But on the whole I like what is being assembled and it is far better than I imagined.

Couldn't agree more.

Likewise.

I don't know how long it's going to take to sink in for some that the days of signing top players at this level to multi-year contracts are gone. The club admitted to being in quarter of a million pounds of debt in March. It hasn't disappeared by magic or been written off at 6p in the £. It's being worked on and has been significantly reduced so far but we have necessarily changed the playing market we're working in. We've been fortunate that the timing has been such that most other clubs are also now working to much reduced budgets. The penny has finally dropped at this level of football and everyone, County apart, is cutting budgets. The knock on effect of that is we've been able to compete and gather better players than I thought we might do. We aren't finished yet but the squad at least looks like it can compete at this level. It isn't going to challenge for the league barring a miracle but it might not be the constant relegation threatened group I thought we might be seeing back in March. We've got a much higher profile and more highly regarded manager than I thought we'd get too which can't be under-estimated.

I have to say I am for the moment looking forward to the season much more than I had expected to (partly this may be because I've only seen one pre-season game). Whether I'm still enjoying it in a couple of months remains to be seen but at the moment the feeling is optimism.

Like Tee Man, this is pretty much how I see things too.

I don't know that I'd have kept absolutely everyone, but the fact is that we were always going to be unable to replace those we were certain to lose, with players as good.

I won't pretend to be unduly excited by our signings, but the wage bill clearly needed to be cut very drastically.

SD claimed earlier that it's been halved and if this is the case, I'll be happy if we're competitive next season. The players brought in should be good enough for that.

Couldn't agree more.

Me too. The reality is that we could have been scraping a lot lower in the barrel than this. Its true that none of the signings so far have been particularly inspiring but theres also no doubt that they are significantly better than most were predicting - mainly, I believe down to the manager.

Without being inspiring, however, they all have experience at this level

Campbell - played for second place team last season

Simmons - played for second place team last season

Higgins - played for league winners last season

Smith - highly rated at Raith where he scored 20 goals in 37 appearances

McLaughlin - experience at 2nd division level, and two league winners medals

The trialists that have played have also, in the main, had decent 'pedigrees'. It'll be interesting to see who actually signs

Me too. The reality is that we could have been scraping a lot lower in the barrel than this. Its true that none of the signings so far have been particularly inspiring but theres also no doubt that they are significantly better than most were predicting - mainly, I believe down to the manager.

Without being inspiring, however, they all have experience at this level

Campbell - played for second place team last season

Simmons - played for second place team last season

Higgins - played for league winners last season

Smith - highly rated at Raith where he scored 20 goals in 37 appearances

McLaughlin - experience at 2nd division level, and two league winners medals

The trialists that have played have also, in the main, had decent 'pedigrees'. It'll be interesting to see who actually signs

I am also in agreement with the general consensus. We can all look for negatives, e.g. Campbell too old and slow, Simmons is pish, Higgins is not a left back, Smith is injury-prone, and McLaughlin is distinctly average... However, with the signings still to come, there is no doubt in my mind that we will be highly competitive this season. I do not expect us to get sucked into a relegation battle, but in this small league it doesn't take much to do so especially as most of the sides appear quite evenly matched.

I have to say I am for the moment looking forward to the season much more than I had expected to (partly this may be because I've only seen one pre-season game). Whether I'm still enjoying it in a couple of months remains to be seen but at the moment the feeling is optimism.

I'm really looking forward to the season too.

I've seen no pre-season games and will miss the upcoming cup ties and the opening league game at Livingston, so I'll have to wait a bit yet.

For me, the biggest factor in any optimism is just the idea of a new start after last season. Last season was absolutely horrible. I still went to games, but I kind of fell out with Queens a bit.

So many factors - KB's boorish idiocy, the necessity of bucket rattling, the Cup final performance, the postponements, the floodlights, the sense the team had chucked it - conspired to have me wishing the season would hurry up and end.

I really don't know what to expect this season. It's quite likely we'll finish lower down the table this time round, but I don't think I'll feel anything like as disillusioned with everything Queens, as I have done.

I'm really looking forward to the season too.

I've seen no pre-season games and will miss the upcoming cup ties and the opening league game at Livingston, so I'll have to wait a bit yet.

For me, the biggest factor in any optimism is just the idea of a new start after last season. Last season was absolutely horrible. I still went to games, but I kind of fell out with Queens a bit.

So many factors - KB's boorish idiocy, the necessity of bucket rattling, the Cup final performance, the postponements, the floodlights, the sense the team had chucked it - conspired to have me wishing the season would hurry up and end.

I really don't know what to expect this season. It's quite likely we'll finish lower down the table this time round, but I don't think I'll feel anything like as disillusioned with everything Queens, as I have done.

If you werent at the Meet the Manager night and you havent already watched the video footage on Youtube, look it up. I think that will make you even more positive :)

Or you could wait until they get round to putting it up on the OS ... bunch of useless cnuts :rolleyes:

If you werent at the Meet the Manager night and you havent already watched the video footage on Youtube, look it up. I think that will make you even more positive :)

Or you could wait until they get round to putting it up on the OS ... bunch of useless cnuts :rolleyes:

Wasn't there, didn't know there was footage on youtube. A brief search on "QoS Meet the Manager" or "Meet the Manager Queens" got me nowhere. Do you have a link? Not that I'll be able to watch it with sound at work anyway but I'll watch it at home later.

Likewise.

We've got a much higher profile and more highly regarded manager than I thought we'd get too which can't be under-estimated. .

That is exactly what the Cowden fans were saying this time last year, and Jimmy Nichol is a much bigger name than Gus McPherson has ever been.

As I've said on numerous posts, let's see who is actually signed up come our first league game.

I've now watched most of it - I'll catch the rest later. Thanks for posting it up.

It is reasonably upbeat and he makes the right noises, but I suppose that's the easy bit.

After listening to KB's radio interviews though, it's inevitable that anything else would sound like the Gettysburg Address in comparison.

Just been watching a fans forum at Palmerston and the wee fat guy stuck in the middle of Queens new management team is sitting drinking a pint of bloody Coca Cola. Absolute madness, you would never get away with that in the Champions League where the sponsors are given front stage marketing priorities. Surely if he was a Queens fan, he should have been drinking a Scottish drink like Irn Bru and a National sponsor of our game. I've never drunk American shite in my life, even less likely giving that they plunge their monies into the Sassenach game down South.

What's this new guy going to be doing? Maybe selling cheese sandwiches!!

Edited by Truthhurts

Just been watching a fans forum at Palmerston and the wee fat guy stuck in the middle of Queens new management team is sitting drinking a pint of bloody Coca Cola. Absolute madness, you would never get away with that in the Champions League where the sponsors are given front stage marketing priorities. Surely if he was a Queens fan, he should have been drinking a Scottish drink like Irn Bru and a National sponsor of our game. I've never drunk American shite in my life, even less likely giving that they plunge their monies into the Sassenach game down South.

Was wondering if other clubs think a wee bit more professionally in front of the camera?

Get a grip.

PS note to mods - this post should have remained as a thread in it's own right, instead of swiftly moved and merged into Queens thread, after all the OP is asking for other clubs fans opinions.

Ryan McGuffie has agreed terms with Queens and Nicky Clark has also signed a 1 year deal.

Two more signings this week I am told and thats our squad complete

We still need another keeper and a striker ( Could be Brighton)

Edited by DUMFRIES_CREW