The Queen of the South thread

Yup, childcare is an expensive business. In fact, it's almost as expensive as bankrolling a full time club in the SFL.

Indeed.

After an unexpectedly good year for our local nursery a few years back, I'd fully anticipated that twice as many parents as had done so for decades, would now enrol their children.

It didn't happen, so I've had to badger the existing customers to part with even more of their cash, which I've chosen to accept only grudgingly.

It sounds like really good value.

Our youngest turned 5 and left nursery just last week. Normally, we've kept nursery on to reserve the place, but with him destined for school, there's now no need.

His sister does some theatre summer school thing each year and it's about £50 for the week of only 3-4 hours a day, with no equivalent of a kit thrown in.

Next year, the wee fella will definitely do the Queens camp and allow me to slope off to the golf course. I'll probably be buying him a strip most years anyway once he's big enough, so the football camp really will represent decent value.

I don't know that they will necessarily always get a replica top of course. They've never done before.

Didn't think it would be 9-6, so that does seem good.

Who is taking the soccer schools?

8am to 6pm apparently per the leaflet. It's obviously in partnership with Kids Ahoy in some way as kids are dropped off there and returned there. Not quite sure how that works in terms of the camps that are not actually run in Dumfries? They are actually at the camp itself from 10am to 3pm, still five hours a day.

Jim Thomson takes them along with some assistance from youth players.

I don't know that they will necessarily always get a replica top of course. They've never done before.

8am to 6pm apparently per the leaflet. It's obviously in partnership with Kids Ahoy in some way as kids are dropped off there and returned there. Not quite sure how that works in terms of the camps that are not actually run in Dumfries? They are actually at the camp itself from 10am to 3pm, still five hours a day.

Jim Thomson takes them along with some assistance from youth players.

Is the Kids Ahoy part not an extra £20 a day, on top of the £35/£80 for the camp?

His sister does some theatre summer school thing each year and it's about £50 for the week of only 3-4 hours a day, with no equivalent of a kit thrown in.

I'd better correct myself here. Apparently the Theatre School thing is from 10am to 4pm on four days and 10am to 2pm on one day, so that's better than I'd indicated.

It costs a whopping £90 with no freebies chucked in though, so the point remains.

I really need to keep a closer eye on family ougoings.

Is the Kids Ahoy part not an extra £20 a day, on top of the £35/£80 for the camp?

Ah yes, re-reading the leaflet that does appear to be the implication, albeit not 100% clear.

Oh well, so in fact £180 for the week, not £80. Or £80 but only covering 10am-3pm. Still not a bad deal though. It would cost £205 to stick mine in nursery for the same period of time. And the £80 time and fee seems fair albeit you'd need to make other arrangements for the rest of the day.

Another dull top IMO. If I buy any of them I'll go for the away one.

On the shirt front (I'll try and word this as more of a query than a criticism) why is the kid's top so expensive? I think £34 is quite steep. Especially if you can get an Old Firm one cheaper. I mean, if a parent isn't interested in QoS and their bairn is after a football shirt the chances are they will just buy one of the B.B. tops before a QoS one, especially if they know it is cheaper. I imagine the makers have a big say but surely the club have some room for manoeuvre on pricing?

Another 'query' on the shirt front. Can last season's not be reduced further than £20? I got the home and away Middlesbrough top (one long sleeved as well) for £20 altogether. I'd imagine the club has to get as much back as possible but surely making £10 on an old top is better than making nothing?

On the shirt front (I'll try and word this as more of a query than a criticism) why is the kid's top so expensive? I think £34 is quite steep. Especially if you can get an Old Firm one cheaper. I mean, if a parent isn't interested in QoS and their bairn is after a football shirt the chances are they will just buy one of the B.B. tops before a QoS one, especially if they know it is cheaper. I imagine the makers have a big say but surely the club have some room for manoeuvre on pricing?

Another 'query' on the shirt front. Can last season's not be reduced further than £20? I got the home and away Middlesbrough top (one long sleeved as well) for £20 altogether. I'd imagine the club has to get as much back as possible but surely making £10 on an old top is better than making nothing?

Economies of scale. Old Firm tops, Man Utd tops, etc are capable of being produced much more cheaply than ours because they sell several hundred thousand each year. We sell several hundred. The marginal cost of each top is miles higher than those of the Old Firm. With respect if a parent isn't interested in QoS it's pretty unlikely they'll buy their kid a QoS top rather than a mass market Premier top at all, regardless of the price.

In any event the club have no (or very little) input on pricing this season due to the new way replica sales will be done.

You'd need to talk to the shop staff about pricing for last year's surplus stock but in general I'd agree. A tenner each is well below what it cost us but at this point you may as well get what you can for it with a new top imminent.

Another dull top IMO. If I buy any of them I'll go for the away one.

I am the proud owner of the Bukta 77-79 top from the Trust. A cracking, long-sleeved number that is much better looking than the current top. :D

How long have we left of the Joma deal? The kit last year was okay but I'm not a fan of the current ones.

Really don't fancy Johnston out on the left wing.

Either do I. He doesn't have the legs for it any more. I still think he is capable of providing a creative spark from a more central area, but not for the full 90 minutes.