The Queen of the South thread

You've signed defender Rhys Evans, who was released by Saints.

Age? Position?

We generally do well with St Johnstone rejects.

ETA: totally missed defender when I read it first time. Still, where in defence does he play?

Edited by die hard doonhamer

I know nothing about the boy but I'll go out on a limb and say it's a great signing; seeing as we have a history of mugging off St Johnstone when it comes to their 'rejects' :P

Edited by 19QOS19

He's a full back. Naturally right sided but can play on left. Could be wrong but imagine he's more likely to be part of your development squad than involved with the first team. Product of the famous Wallsend BC in Newcastle.

Guest Flash

Comparing now with the squad we had at the start of last season, I have tried to list the players who have left and who they have been replaced by. I've probably got some wrong, so feel free to amend and also update as we go along. I have included promotions from the U 20s when it appears they are now full squad members but weren't officially at the start of last season.

I know we managed without a few last season, but I think it is right to compare the squad with how it started rather than with how it "got by" at the end unless we all now think that the squad was originally too big anyway. We can consider whether the it is stronger, weaker or about the same.

Kerr replaced by Millar.

Baird with A Smith

Dzierzawski with Pickard

Mitchell with Hooper

Clark with Thomson

Holt with Evans

Carmichael with Skelton

Paton with Conroy

McShane with ??

Reilly with ??

Slattery with ??

Durnan with ??

McKenna with ??

Had another go at comparing this season's squad with the one that started last season based on latest information.

He's a full back. Naturally right sided but can play on left. Could be wrong but imagine he's more likely to be part of your development squad than involved with the first team. Product of the famous Wallsend BC in Newcastle.

He has signed for the u20's squad, not the first team. He is one of several lads who will be joining up from North East England. They will be added to the OS when the i's are dotted and t's crossed. Edited by Skyline Drifter

The summer is always full of gossip and speculation, I am taking the 'long view', in that I would hope by the start of the season we will have a decent squad. It seems to me we are due cash for Reilly, McShane, Holt and Durnan, plus last year we had our highest average home attendance for years. I'm hoping there is a modest 'war chest' available to Fowler, who will use his experience and connections to attract the necessary decent players.

I'm also hoping a few of our young players will break though like Reily and Holt did (and neither of these were overnight successes), what I saw of Hooper and Aidan Smith last year I liked.

It will be another tough league. Unless Rangers reappoint McCoist, they will be stronger, and I would make Hibs favourites, they won't have the bad start they had last year and I think Stubbs is a good manager. Falkirk will have the cup run money available to strengthen the squad. Hard to anticipate what St Mirren will be like, I'm guessing 'middle-of-the-table' this year. Raith are similar to us and quite capable of matching us this year, and I expect Livingston to be a lot better this year. Morton will bring more to the championship than Cowdenbeath did. Which leaves Alloa and Dumbarton as the 'strugglers', but both of these teams have shown they can survive in this league and don't buy into the 'sacrificial lambs' narrative.

Can't wait for the start of the season!!

How did McKenna do last season? I remember we tried to sign him a few seasons ago, the season Thistle pipped us to the top I think it was. Wouldn't mind seeing him at Cappielow is he still has the legs for this level.

Injured for most of it but was integral part of the team in the run in. Rumours indicate he is retiring and moving to Dubai as his other half has a job there.

How did McKenna do last season? I remember we tried to sign him a few seasons ago, the season Thistle pipped us to the top I think it was. Wouldn't mind seeing him at Cappielow is he still has the legs for this level.

Not really featured as much as expected or hoped for during the season, plagued by injury for a good part of it. Came more into things in the last third of the season but with McShane and Millar at the time more or less tying up the centre midfield positions McKenna was often used as a sub. A few sporadic starting appearances but on the whole a bit of a disjointed season for him. No problem with the commitment he showed when he did feature. Not sure of his future intentions but rumoured to be moving away, maybe abroad, because of personal commitments. I think it was Gus McPherson who re-signed him for Queens when he was on the brink of signing for Morton.

Not really featured as much as expected or hoped for during the season, plagued by injury for a good part of it. Came more into things in the last third of the season but with McShane and Millar at the time more or less tying up the centre midfield positions McKenna was often used as a sub. A few sporadic starting appearances but on the whole a bit of a disjointed season for him. No problem with the commitment he showed when he did feature. Not sure of his future intentions but rumoured to be moving away, maybe abroad, because of personal commitments. I think it was Gus McPherson who re-signed him for Queens when he was on the brink of signing for Morton.

Stegs was here long before gus. Quick guess would be arrived in 2010 under brannigan.

Eta 09 under Chisholm according to wiki.

Edited by Broony88

I know this was discussed a while back but I see today that Dobbie had now officially been released by Crystal Palace. Still can't see anyway QoS could afford him or whether he'd even want to play at Scottish Championship level?

He probably thinks he's got another few years at English Championship/1st level. And by level I mean salary!

Edited by Swarley

The summer is always full of gossip and speculation, I am taking the 'long view', in that I would hope by the start of the season we will have a decent squad. It seems to me we are due cash for Reilly, McShane, Holt and Durnan, plus last year we had our highest average home attendance for years. I'm hoping there is a modest 'war chest' available to Fowler, who will use his experience and connections to attract the necessary decent players.

I'm also hoping a few of our young players will break though like Reily and Holt did (and neither of these were overnight successes), what I saw of Hooper and Aidan Smith last year I liked.

It will be another tough league. Unless Rangers reappoint McCoist, they will be stronger, and I would make Hibs favourites, they won't have the bad start they had last year and I think Stubbs is a good manager. Falkirk will have the cup run money available to strengthen the squad. Hard to anticipate what St Mirren will be like, I'm guessing 'middle-of-the-table' this year. Raith are similar to us and quite capable of matching us this year, and I expect Livingston to be a lot better this year. Morton will bring more to the championship than Cowdenbeath did. Which leaves Alloa and Dumbarton as the 'strugglers', but both of these teams have shown they can survive in this league and don't buy into the 'sacrificial lambs' narrative.

Can't wait for the start of the season!!

Good post, and overall pretty much how I feel about the season ahead. The only thing I disagree with is I think you are overrating Hibs slightly. I didn't see anything from them last year to suggest Stubbs is a particularly great manager. He did what was expected, or perhaps even less so. It's a big season coming up for both him and his club, with promotion the minimum expectation. I fully expect them to "Hibs it" up somehow, probably by losing the Playoff Final a la The Rangers.

Talking of that lot, if they sign well both in terms of manager and players, and get their house in order they are far better equipped to replicate Hearts of last season than Hibs are IMO. Of course in their short history they've not exactly shown much inclination to do any of these things so it could be another interesting season for them.

Although we are likely to be weaker than the past two seasons, I actually think third is potentially more achievable than in those two years. As you say though, there is a good chance there will be 4 or 5 teams fighting it out for the final two Playoff spots. Cautiously optimistic.

I think for me to be optimistic i would need to see 3/4 really good imaginative signings - hopefully notthe type of player who jumps on and off the Championship roundabout at a succession of different teams Hope I am wrong but Conroy falls into that category for me. The arrival of Skelton may give us access to the North of England pot and one assumes that there are some decent young players in that camp. Difficulty is in making QOS an attractive option for a player living in Carlisle area but training at Cumbernauld.

I would like to see us get more young players from Div 1 and 2 before the Premier vultures atart to descend. If you look at a club like Queens Park they have produced several great players but Dundee United seem to have that path sown up.

Mc Kenna's departure a big blow because when fit he is really solid and consistent - not easy to replace.

I am sure that James Fowler will know exactly what he needs but in this League if we sign badly a relegation battle is the ultimate penalty.

Good post, and overall pretty much how I feel about the season ahead. The only thing I disagree with is I think you are overrating Hibs slightly. I didn't see anything from them last year to suggest Stubbs is a particularly great manager. He did what was expected, or perhaps even less so. It's a big season coming up for both him and his club, with promotion the minimum expectation. I fully expect them to "Hibs it" up somehow, probably by losing the Playoff Final a la The Rangers.

Talking of that lot, if they sign well both in terms of manager and players, and get their house in order they are far better equipped to replicate Hearts of last season than Hibs are IMO. Of course in their short history they've not exactly shown much inclination to do any of these things so it could be another interesting season for them.

Although we are likely to be weaker than the past two seasons, I actually think third is potentially more achievable than in those two years. As you say though, there is a good chance there will be 4 or 5 teams fighting it out for the final two Playoff spots. Cautiously optimistic.

Its really difficult to say, just yet, who's going to be challenging. There will be a lot of change next season with new managers and clubs with almost completely new teams.

I agree with you on Stubbs, any more competent manager would have run Rangers closer in the play-offs. They do, though, seem to be adding well to their squad.

It's early days as you say, but I envisage Hibs and The Rangers will be fighting it out at the top end. The two part-timers plus Morton at the bottom, with a reasonable case made by everyone else that they could possibly reach the playoffs.

Last season I had us to finish between 4th and 6th. This coming one I think anything between 3rd and 7th is possible.