The Queen of the South thread

There's an element of the unknown about next season that has me quite excited. However I agree that we should be finishing above the four you mention, and at the very least challenging alongside the other two.

Although my overall feeling is definitely positive, I can't shake the thought from the back of my mind of the last manager that had as big a rebuilding job. I'm sure I've read on here from Gus sympathisers (bizarrely they do exist) that he didn't really stand a chance having to replace so many players. I think most of us were happy with his signings at the time as well. I hope the parallels stop there.

I think the turmoil the previous season left us on a hiding to nothing seeing as we were totally shambolic from top to bottom. I can't really see who else was linked at the time that would have kept us up. Any other season i would have been very unhappy with Gus in charge, but following the nuclear meltdown the previous season. I thought he was as good as we were going to get as anyone with any sense or talent wouldn't go within 50 miles of Palmerston because of the scale of the rebuild and an unstable financial position.

The Renaissance the past three years shows the value of having business savvy people in important positions, rather than a fan who fell out with two competent but confrontational managers, handing a blank check to a diddy and putting us in a big hole and Gus McPherson in charge.

But you could tell from the early games that there were duds throughout he spine of the team like Scott McLaughlin, Stephen Simmons, Tam Brighton and Mark Campbell were clearly not good enough and barring a miracle we were fucked. At the time St Mirren fans were saying that Gus had no time for youths but mainly through his signings being utter gash he had to play Reilly and Holt.

Edited by Sloop John B

Yes I'm aware there were plenty of contributory factors aside from Macpherson being a dud manager.

As I say I'm confident we'll have another reasonably successful season, or at the very least an entertaining one. Neither of which describe Gus's tenure. It's just a niggle at the back of my mind. Football has a tendency to kick you in the nuts when you least expect it.

Guest Flash

Difficult to imagine that we'll be as good as last season after losing 5 of the best players. The replacements are unlikely to be as good so in order to finish 4th or higher the other teams will also have to be not as good as they were. Which is possible, I suppose.

Based only on the highlights from the Killie game, the biggest worry for me is the defence. It looked a bit shambolic at times. However, can't really judge it based on some clips from a friendly.

I can't see us finishing 4th this time, though. I would expect somewhere between 5th and 8th.

I think anywhere between 3rd to 6th, raith i feel will be like ourselves whereas falkirk have stable sqaud so might go 3rd depending on the cretin in charge of them. St mirren could be hit or miss too. If fowler signs another few like he said he would,preferably a half decent striker, we will be fine i think.

Heffernan. Hmmm would stay clear did houston not say his legs had gone?

Yeah said he was a good pro, has ability and 3 years ago would have been a "no brainer" to sign him, but felt as he is 34 this year and his legs had started to go a bit decided against offering him a deal but did say he would probably get signed up by someone.

Difficult to imagine that we'll be as good as last season after losing 5 of the best players. The replacements are unlikely to be as good so in order to finish 4th or higher the other teams will also have to be not as good as they were. Which is possible, I suppose.

Based only on the highlights from the Killie game, the biggest worry for me is the defence. It looked a bit shambolic at times. However, can't really judge it based on some clips from a friendly.

I can't see us finishing 4th this time, though. I would expect somewhere between 5th and 8th.

I would say its difficult to imagine our starting 11 being as strong as last season. However, I would say the squad is, arguably, stronger - providing we have better luck with injuries.

Yeah said he was a good pro, has ability and 3 years ago would have been a "no brainer" to sign him, but felt as he is 34 this year and his legs had started to go a bit decided against offering him a deal but did say he would probably get signed up by someone.

I dont really see the point in signing Heffernan, to be honest. He isnt good enough to be a starter which would leave him as an "impact sub" type player. I'd rather see Smith and Higgins getting game time from the bench.

Guest Flash

I would say its difficult to imagine our starting 11 being as strong as last season. However, I would say the squad is, arguably, stronger - providing we have better luck with injuries.

Which means we should get more points when having to use the squad players, but fewer points from the first choice team which will play most of the time. Which is why I don't think we will get as many points or finish as high as last season.

Which means we should get more points when having to use the squad players, but fewer points from the first choice team which will play most of the time. Which is why I don't think we will get as many points or finish as high as last season.

Well, only if the difference between the two was equal. I would say we are marginally worse in terms of a starting 11 but significantly better in terms of the squad.

Theres no way we'll finish below Livi, Morton, Dumbarton or Alloa. Rangers and Hibs should be competing at the top, but ourselves, Raith, Falkirk and Saints could be in any order between those two groups.

Guest Flash

Well, only if the difference between the two was equal. I would say we are marginally worse in terms of a starting 11 but significantly better in terms of the squad.

Theres no way we'll finish below Livi, Morton, Dumbarton or Alloa. Rangers and Hibs should be competing at the top, but ourselves, Raith, Falkirk and Saints could be in any order between those two groups.

No, the difference doesn't have to be equal. A marginal drop in the team that plays the vast majority of the games will lose you more points than a significant improvement in the players who don't play as much will gain. Anyway, I think there has been quite a significant drop in quality in the first choice.

I'm assuming that the opposition will be of a similar level to last season, but you clearly know more about them than I do. Presumably if we are below Livi or Morton or Dumbarton or Alloa or if we're not challenging for fourth, Fowler will have not be able to use the excuse that the guts has been ripped out of the team. So, his jacket will be on a shoogly peg, then? I was prepared to give him a lot of leeway this season, but clearly I should be expecting us to be at least as good as before.

No, the difference doesn't have to be equal. A marginal drop in the team that plays the vast majority of the games will lose you more points than a significant improvement in the players who don't play as much will gain. Anyway, I think there has been quite a significant drop in quality in the first choice.

I'm assuming that the opposition will be of a similar level to last season, but you clearly know more about them than I do. Presumably if we are below Livi or Morton or Dumbarton or Alloa or if we're not challenging for fourth, Fowler will have not be able to use the excuse that the guts has been ripped out of the team. So, his jacket will be on a shoogly peg, then? I was prepared to give him a lot of leeway this season, but clearly I should be expecting us to be at least as good as before.

But even in games where the first choice starts the subs are almost as important. We, quite often had very few options on the bench and the quality of player coming on wasnt as good as those they replaced.

Looking through the team, there was little between Atkinson and Clark last season, so even if Thomson isnt as good as Clark playing Atkinson isnt a significant drop in quality.

In defence, we still have three of the back four and Dowie and Higgins at centre half is no drop from Durnan. However, left back will almost certainly be a weaker position.

In midfield, Conroy gives us a natural left footer we didnt have last season, plus we still have Russell to play there. In the centre, I would argue we are stronger. Conroy, Tapping and/or a fit Millar are as good as any combination we had last season. Again, there is, potentially, a drop in quality on the right with Carmichael gone. We do, though, have another midfielder to come in, presumably, to replace Burns.

Up front, we've obviously lost Reillys goals but we've kept Lyle and added Hilson and have another still to sign. Realistically, though, we dont need to replace Reillys goals with one player. Neither Carmichael nor McShane contributed anywhere near enough goals last season. If even three of Hillson, Higgins, Conroy, A N Other striker, A N Other midfielder and, possibly Millar, can chip in with even 5 goals each we shouldnt miss Reillys goals.

So, in terms of the first team the only real drop in quality is at left back and right wing.

As it stands, none of the teams I picked us to finish above have signed anyone to suggest they'll be significantly better than last season. The three I grouped us with could have better or worse seasons than last, just as we could. As I said, I think we'll be somewhere between 3rd and 6th. That might mean challenging for fourth, it might not.

Edited by Mr X

That we'll not be as good as last season is likely of course. The players to have come in are unlikely to be as good as the ones who left up the way, at least not yet. However, we finished 7 points ahead of Falkirk last season and 17 ahead of Raith who were 5th. I accept Raith, who incidentally have made wholesale changes too, basically chucked it over the last month but that's a big gap to close. We could conceivably be worse than last year, have everyone else be exactly the same and still be good enough to make 4th so your conclusion isn't entirely accurate.