The Queen of the South thread

As people have said a very worthwhile friendly and impressed with most. Jacobs at right back looked at home there, but equally did well in both centre mid and centre half. Marshall at left back looked very nervous first half, they obviously picked up on it then because most things came down that side. But second half there was an improvement and he looked a lot more relaxed. Hilson, took his goal very well, looks as though he will be a threat. Tapping looked extremely tidy on the ball, was well impressed even though he wasn't on long. Conroy was pick for me, of the shot that came off the post had went in, it would have been a great goal. Forgot Thomson but he looked right enough although kicking wasn't great, either was jims though. Rutherford looked alright when he came on as well, could do to bulk up though.

Smith, Pickard and brotherston looked good when they came on. Pickard very tidy on the ball, which I wouldn't have said was his strong point last season. Hooper was unusually shaky but I'm giving him benefit of doubt.

Bob Harris is the only other one I can think of in recent years.

Did Harris actually score that many free kicks? His most famous one, in Denmark, was scored from a lay off I think so not a direct free kick.

Much like Chris Mitchell I think Harris probably got more assists from free-kicks, than goals.

For some reason a David McNiven free kick at the Portland Drive end against, I think, Hamilton always stands out in my memory. The only explanation I have for remembering this is that it is such a rare occurrence.

For me Jacobs and Conroy were the standout new signings. Jacobs played 3 different positions and excelled in each one. Those worried we will lack bite will be relieved to hear that he has it in abundance aswell as good ability on the ball. Conroy has so much class. He floated about the pitch showing some lovely touches and his free kick was a peach. For me Marshall was woeful 1st half and a bit better 2nd. Doesn't look ready for 1st team football at our level. Tapping looked decent enough before injury. Hopefully the injury is nothing to do with last seasons cruciate ligament damage. Thomson was not overly brilliant but made 1 good save. He was very lucky not to give away a penalty when he was was very rashly off his line when Killie had their shot cleared off the line. Pickard looked very good in the 2nd half and Smith looks very lively like Reilly did when he was that age. We still desperately need another striker or 2 and centre mid might become a priority with Burns leaving and if Tappings injury is serious

Did Harris actually score that many free kicks? His most famous one, in Denmark, was scored from a lay off I think so not a direct free kick.

Much like Chris Mitchell I think Harris probably got more assists from free-kicks, than goals.

For some reason a David McNiven free kick at the Portland Drive end against, I think, Hamilton always stands out in my memory. The only explanation I have for remembering this is that it is such a rare occurrence.

You could be right actually! I'm sure he scored one against Dundee too but it went through the wall rather than being particularly well hit. I think the one at Falkirk was also laid off to him rather than a direct shot.

So yeah, Harris wasn't that great at scoring direct freekicks after all!

Edited by Dougie Mills

For me Jacobs and Conroy were the standout new signings. Jacobs played 3 different positions and excelled in each one. Those worried we will lack bite will be relieved to hear that he has it in abundance aswell as good ability on the ball. Conroy has so much class. He floated about the pitch showing some lovely touches and his free kick was a peach. For me Marshall was woeful 1st half and a bit better 2nd. Doesn't look ready for 1st team football at our level. Tapping looked decent enough before injury. Hopefully the injury is nothing to do with last seasons cruciate ligament damage. Thomson was not overly brilliant but made 1 good save. He was very lucky not to give away a penalty when he was was very rashly off his line when Killie had their shot cleared off the line. Pickard looked very good in the 2nd half and Smith looks very lively like Reilly did when he was that age. We still desperately need another striker or 2 and centre mid might become a priority with Burns leaving and if Tappings injury is serious

Agree with this , 3 more signings i think cm and two attacking players. Thought hilson was very impressive tonight and i liked conroy too. Hope tappings injury isnt too bad. Also aidan smith was lively when he came on.

You could be right actually! I'm sure he scored one against Dundee too but it went through the wall rather than being particularly well hit. I think the one at Falkirk was also laid off to him rather than a direct shot.

So yeah, Harris wasn't that great at scoring direct freekicks after all!

Err.... :

5 direct freekicks in there and a couple from layoffs I think I counted - a couple there I'd completely forgotten about!

Yeah good video, he'd scored more than I remembered. His goal against Rangers is always worth another look as well. Great striker of the ball.

We're there many in attendance and did Killie bring many down?

Think there was about 1000, steward said there was 250 of us (killie fans)

Was very impressed with Queens, as was with us (2nd half only). Thought Higgans at centre back had Maggenis, your right back in the second half struggled with mckensie coming in off the left wing and let to two goals. Liked the look of Tapping, felt Higginbotm got much more involved in the game when he went off, higgy looks a player though.

You's will do fine next year, finsh top4 i'd imagine again, good side.