The General Ross County Chat Thread

County have always released players in an underhand way, some managers too. So I’m not at all surprised at this.  But both Gardyne and Vigurs have given a lot to us and you’d think that they’d at least get an actual meeting to be informed of their release.

I thought Vigurs did pretty well under Hughes, and would have done us for another year.  I can understand Gardyne’s release as his powers have waned.  Both deserved better from County.

Naismith has probably thought he can get something better elsewhere.  Billy McKay will get a club pretty easily I would have thought as he will still score goals, more likely in the championship.  Caley really should be offering him a deal right now.

What an absolute pathetic week for County PR wise.

I thought Vigurs did pretty well under Hughes,

As much as I personally agree, Vigurs has been slaughtered by County fans all season so it baffles me why everyone’s know gutted he’s gone. Both club legends but the time was right to move them on, despite the manner it being done in being poor.

End of the day, Macgregor has made the decision to employ Malky Mackay, we may not agree with his past behaviours but it will not stop me supporting the club like I have for many years. Macgregor runs the club and regardless of what anyone thinks, it is his to do with it as he sees fit.

Yes it does not seem like the best way to tell players that they will not be offered a new contract, but there is no loyalty in football. In fact, any employment where you have a contract that stipulates how long you will be employed for then it should not be taken for granted that you will be offered to stay on for longer. Players/agents are responsible for ensuring they have work to move on to. 

Look at the season most the team have had, transfer that to another type of work, if you haven't performed well enough then you won't be asked to keep working. Changes were needed and I hope for the sake of our club supporters don't turn their back. 

To tell our most decorated player, with the most goals and appearances for the club that he's not getting a new deal over zoom is criminal. I do think he was maybe worth another year as an impact sub, Vigurs I'm pretty sure will get a move to a decent enough level, maybe Dundee? Can have him and Adam shelling balls about for 90 minutes.

Naismith is our best player by a mile and to see him not offered a deal is sad.

It's not the decision to let these players go that is the problem, it's the how. The how matters. 

Its not the first time either. There was a well publicised spat with Richard Foster last season. The Scott Boyd thing too as previously alluded to. No other clubs seem to have these issues consistently crop up. 

When you are a small community club success isnt always measured on the pitch. You need to have an emotional attachment with the fans, this isnt folk in Asia watching manchester united. The goodwill that is built then sees fans rally around the club for e.g. staggies army or to support a drop down the leagues. If you're losing a lot AND you f**k off your players AND you dont give a shit what the fans think then how are they expecting folk to still be emotionally invested? 

I emailed the club this morning informing them that I was cancelling my staggies army membership on the basis of the handling of the Mackay appointment and the handling of the player releases. Again - its not the decisions themselves, but the tone deaf and clunky way in which they have been done. The Malky press conference didnt even mention the past indiscretions in a twee "wee believe in redmeption" kinda way. 

I got a generic short reply that is identical to the reply the other folk I know who have cancelled also got. Which just proves my fucking point. Its attached should anyone care to see how they respond to being told that a fan of 20+ years is packing it in.

Screenshot_20210528-090338_Outlook.thumb.jpg.abfe92ea5c88d04127782a97562f12d1.jpg

TL; DR - its not fucking good enough and I am done. 

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

It's not the decision to let these players go that is the problem, it's the how. The how matters. 

Its not the first time either. There was a well publicised spat with Richard Foster last season. The Scott Boyd thing too as previously alluded to. No other clubs seem to have these issues consistently crop up. 

When you are a small community club success isnt always measured on the pitch. You need to have an emotional attachment with the fans, this isnt folk in Asia watching manchester united. The goodwill that is built then sees fans rally around the club for e.g. staggies army or to support a drop down the leagues. If you're losing a lot AND you f**k off your players AND you dont give a shit what the fans think then how are they expecting folk to still be emotionally invested? 

I emailed the club this morning informing them that I was cancelling my staggies army membership on the basis of the handling of the Mackay appointment and the handling of the player releases. Again - its not the decisions themselves, but the tone deaf and clunky way in which they have been done. The Malky press conference didnt even mention the past indiscretions in a twee "wee believe in redmeption" kinda way. 

I got a generic short reply that is identical to the reply the other folk I know who have cancelled also got. Which just proves my fucking point. Its attached should anyone care to see how they respond to being told that a fan of 20+ years is packing it in.

Screenshot_20210528-090338_Outlook.thumb.jpg.abfe92ea5c88d04127782a97562f12d1.jpg

TL; DR - its not fucking good enough and I am done. 

I’m out as well. And it’s fairly obvious the club doesn’t care, or think that we’ll soon change our minds.  

The rise of ICT and RC through the leagues over the years has been pretty incredible but at both clubs there is a continual theme of still being Highland league clubs off the pitch in how they handle certain things. County really going full blown minter express right now but there are rumours that we've recently let people go via text and not even having the decency to sit down face to face to tell them they won't be getting a new deal. As @CountyFan says above it's how they are doing these things that matters and both ICT and RC seem to be pathetic at that kind of stuff.

Edited by RiG

2 hours ago, stag317 said:

End of the day, Macgregor has made the decision to employ Malky Mackay, we may not agree with his past behaviours but it will not stop me supporting the club like I have for many years. Macgregor runs the club and regardless of what anyone thinks, it is his to do with it as he sees fit.

Yes it does not seem like the best way to tell players that they will not be offered a new contract, but there is no loyalty in football. In fact, any employment where you have a contract that stipulates how long you will be employed for then it should not be taken for granted that you will be offered to stay on for longer. Players/agents are responsible for ensuring they have work to move on to. 

Look at the season most the team have had, transfer that to another type of work, if you haven't performed well enough then you won't be asked to keep working. Changes were needed and I hope for the sake of our club supporters don't turn their back. 

Just to add the bit in bold to everything that CountyFan said.

Additional point being, if the club is MacGregor's and his to do with as he sees fit, regardless of anyone else, then that distances everyone else from the club.
If it's his club, then it's not our club.
So why should we give him money and support to do things we disagree with?
["Things" being the decisions made, or the way the decisions are handled, or other. It's a vague term...]

Supported County since the Highland League days, and never been as disenchanted as I have the last few seasons.
So many things just weren't sitting right, and increasingly so.
Was wary that was just me getting old and football changing so much in general. Turning into a middle-aged gadge howling at the moon.
But the shambles this last week leaves me pretty convinced it's cos too many folk are taken for granted too often at County, us fans included.

[There may still be a lot of middle-aged gadge howling at the moon in there]

Edited by dingdong1929

To add to the point that CountyFan was making, I phoned the club this morning to enquire about how I would go about cancelling my Staggies Army membership, as I emailed the club asking however did not receive any response at all.

What was most galling and disappointing to me is I got a rather rude and snippy reply regarding my query, which makes me think that the club see these requests as nothing but an administrative inconvenience and just something we are doing to mildly annoy them. Not once was there a hint of sympathy or genuine interest into the reasons both myself and many others are making a stance for the good of our morals. I can understand they may be in undated with frustrated emails/calls at the moment, but the last of expression or concern is just so lame and completely childish.

I can’t help but feel like the money we have invested in the club over the last year or so has been fully taken for granted and has been viewed as a debt to the club rather than a genuine goodwill gesture. For as long as the club keep up this bitchiness and aggression towards genuine supporters, then I will happily go and take my money and custom elsewhere where it will be valued far more.

29 minutes ago, RiG said:

As @CountyFan says above it's how they are doing these things that matters and both ICT and RC seem to be pathetic at that kind of stuff.

It is incredibly small time, and leaves a bitter taste. Both sides often make noises about finding it hard attract players and then conduct themselves in that sort of manner. 

County seem to be a complete basketcase at the moment, as I said previously it is hard to criticise MacGregor's involvement with the club but for me personally (someone who hasn't had a season ticket in 6 years now), the most involved I felt with the club was during the 2009/2010 season. David Siegel was installed as Chairman, and  did a fantastic job. He was fan orientated, sitting in with the away support at games, organising numerous fan meetings and the one thing that I will always remember; before we played the semi final tie against Celtic at Hampden, the club increased the price for the supporters bus. I can't remember the exact figure, but it was fairly considerable. David Siegel was doing his usual walk through The Jailend and people were trying to find out what was going on. It was evident he had no clue about it, but promised to fix it, and true to his word within a few days the prices were lowered. He just got it, he bought into the "values" of the club, and subsequently the fans bought into his ideas. 

There just isn't that feel with the club now, and hasn't been for numerous years. All hope of that initial statement at the start of the week from MacGregor saying the club needs to remember it's identity seems a distant memory. Easily the worst week in my years supporting the club.

Like any wee team, County are not good enough to support for the football, folk support them cos they're meant to represent our community, "support your local team".
Might sound as twee as a shortbread Billy Ferries, but to a lot of folk the community is more important than the football.
So if those folk think County are representing our community badly, they'll stop supporting County. 
Its pretty fucking simple, and the club knows it well enough to make it a big part of their marketing, but here we are. 

There's maybe a spreadsheet somewhere with a column for 'snowflakes lost', and another for 'fucks given'.
Looks like that second column is winning.

Edited by dingdong1929
Should have been one post, rather than two.